• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Arrow key's stop working in type tool / text in CS6

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using a type/text area in PS my keyboard arrow key's sometimes just stop working. There's just no more feedback and I have to restart PS to 'fix' the problem. This is a very annoying bug which really degrades my productivity!

Please help!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013
We've released an update to correct this issue:

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotco...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 129 Replies 129
129 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes thanks Louie, clicking font-size field again and back to text box also works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running CS6 with OSX 10.8.2
My Mac Pro has a 2.8 GHz Quad Core processor
and 2 GB memory.

I have the same problem, but am finding it seems to be happening when I have Safari open in the background. If I quit Safari, my cursor behaves itself again.

This isn't an ideal solution, but it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious to see how many of you setup CS6 similarly to CS5. Meaning, do you guys shrink the main dashboard background and have your tools/pallettes floating, with other apps visible in the background?

I ran into the keyboard problems many times, and it seems the only way I can fix it is through switching from one app and back to Photoshop. However, the same problem keeps happening.

Then, I decided to try and use CS6 as it was intended with the dashboard background encompassing the entire screen, which makes you only focus on your photoshop canvases. This seems to have fix the keyboard problem so far. Will report if anything comes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing CS6, I've been working with the dashboard bkg as the entire screen. The only floating palette I have been using is the Kuler extension (for maybe two weeks max) simply because I can't find a satisfactory place to anchor it (I'm kind of a neat freak). I'll try anchoring that palette, and see if that helps.

Most of the time, the apps running in my background are Suitcase Fusion 4 (always), Bridge, Quark 9, and sometimes Safari, iTunes, and a Prynergy workflow system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it's been 7 months since this topic was originally opened. I've had CS6 for about 2 months now, and just noticed in the last week this same issue was happening to me. Incredibly frustrating as I cannot understand why a seemingly BASIC function of a computer just up and quits working. The arrow keys no longer work within a text area and neither does the delete key. I'm also noticing the font size isn't matching up either (this could be a separate issue), but occasionally an 18pt font (visually) will show that it's a 3pt font (no idea what is going on there).

Has anybody figured this out? The only thing I can do is restart Photoshop to make it stop, but it always pops back up. I've tried closing Chrome, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and other software but honestly WHY should I have to close these other programs down in order for the text tool to operate correctly in a different program? It IS a massive productivity killer (because here I am wasting time looking up the issue), as small as it may seem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

billy noah,
Yes, I am able to reproduce this now.

Looks like this problem occurs when you enter any numbers in Character or other panels then hit enter/return keys. Note: Application frame is on.

Workaround: This is a focus issue so try clicking desktop or another application or select application frame off.

I will work with type engineer.
Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2013 Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking into this. This happens for me all the time in CS6, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep I've got exactly the same problem you just mentioned! I'm running OS X Mountain Lion and Creative Cloud version of Photoshop. Sooooo annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So seriously Adobe... when is this going to get fixed. It is an incredibly obnoxious, workflow-breaking bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't hold your breath. They really have no reason to fix it, it's not like there's another software out there like this one..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We only got the information to reproduce it a month ago.
And as a publicly traded company, we can't tell you about future releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've released an update to correct this issue:

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotco...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, I never used Chrome, do not have a Magic Mouse and no other utilities. An email I got today from Photoshop Family says the (apparently verified) bug is fixed so I will try that. Thanks.

Imran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ughh. This is happening to me with Photoshop CC (Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Photoshop CS6 Extended is updated and this happening to me. There's no update that I can download to fix this according to Help-->Updates...

Has the root cause of this bug been determined?

Windows 8 x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya Jeremy,

Can you click Help > System Info and let me know what version of CS6 you are running? Also, are you sure that your cursor is not in another field and focus is on the type layer?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya Carl,

Can you click Help > System Info and let me know what version of CC you are running? I believe this problem was definitively solved in 14.1.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there... I'm on CC 14.2 and I still have this issue... only restarting does nothing to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tad,

What OS are you running? Are you sure you've updated to 14.2.1? What do you do when the problem comes up? Do you have any non-standard mouse or keyboards connected? Do you have any keyboard shortcut software or a tablet installed? If so which one(s)?

I'd love to help get to the bottom of this bug once and for all...!

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 14.2.1 on OS X 10.9.2. I get the problem just using an apple magic trackpad. I am using PopClip. They disable their stuff for adobe products and I'm not able to get it to actually fail this morning, but I'll try turning PopClip completely off when it does and see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok David. I was working in photoshop up till I left work last night. I closed my computer and left (so it was asleep). This morning, I just tried it again and it's failing to recognize the arrow keys on text again.

I disabled PopClip to no avail. However, restarting Photoshop worked this time. So, maybe it has something to do with the computer sleeping. The last time I just came back from lunch so it did sleep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and the same thing happened today when I went to lunch. (With my PopClip off.) So, I believe it has to do with going to sleep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Tad,

Can you get this problem reliably on your computer going to sleep? Have you tried actually using a mouse and completely disabling your trackpad? Ditto for removing PopClip (cuz many of these apps actually linger in memory)? I believe there's a problem, but since you're the only person voicing this, I'm wondering if there's something specific to your setup.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2014 Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this has happened to me. adobe cc and mac osx 10.9.4. I turned off firefox while using photoshop and it has worked for today. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm that this issue still exists in Photoshop CC 2014 latest update, Mac OSX 10.10. So frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate