Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Backspace Key Deletes Layers - Photoshop 22.5 - Windows

LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted this noted at Adobe...

Downloaded 22.5 this morning, and now when I go to manually enter values into a layer (ie Hue/Saturation) I cannot use the backspace key to delete the numerical value. It will first delete the layer mask, then delete the layer entirely.

This is a pain if you're doing lots of product photography, where you're replicating the same values over a large number of photos. I need to carefully highlight the number I want to change, then type in the value, without accidentally hitting the backspace key.

This may be a planned change, a quick way to delete a layer mask or layer, but it is not helpful for all users. 

I will do my workaround, but it's slowing down my output. 

{Moderator note: PS-72061}

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.5.1 which includes the fix for this issue. Check the list of other fixed issues here

To update Photoshop to 22.5.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Please feel free to share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
64 Comments
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is an issue in 22.5 Please report it to Adobe for now at https://feedback.photoshop.com/ 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the site is now read-only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

If i try to change the pen tool line size, my layer gets deleted.  

Anyone know why this is and how to stop it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pen tool  in Path or Shape mode  or either mode. I do not seem to haves a problem on Windows 10 in  Photoshop 22.5. With the Ctrl key press I can move  a control point without a problem.

image.png

image.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

in shape mode, if I try to change the stroke size, eg from 15px to 20px, it deletes the path totally and sometimes the layer before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue that engineering is working on.

Best bet is to roll back to 22.4.2 - Instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Significantly slowing me down AND adds a ton of frustration! Please fix this ASAP. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jumping here to add that hitting backspace while trying to change the values of the fixed size marquee also deletes layers. I've attached a gif of this issue.disappearing_layers.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue within a new update it seems on Photoshop where when I am in a field editing a size of a box or something and I hit the delete key to remove the size it removes the whole layer instead.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue that engineering is working on.

Best bet is to roll back to 22.4.2 - Instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey ya'll!

Whenever I'm trying to use backspace to mess with layer values (such as opacity), hitting backspace will delete my layer instead. Any fixes?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it has always done that. Mine does. Just don't hit Backspace. To play with the opacity slider, stay in that slider etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use numeric values 0-9 to play with Opacity of layer. Ensure that tools with Opacity setting in Options bar (like Brush tool) is not active because in that case you will change opacity of brush instead of layer.

To play with Fill opacity values hold down Shift then press numeric key 0-9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is a known issue on 22.5, I'm merging your thread with the main discussion on the topic, so that you can receive relevant information about it.

If you are doing it all the time, an interim solution might be to reinstall an older version. Make sure to backup your preferences if you changed them. https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Make sure to vote on top of the thread to state that you are affected by the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a PC, and Photoshop has always done this, also in CS6. Are you guys all on a Mac? And Backspace usually doesn't do this?! Wow who knew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely a new issue - having very recently upgraded from CS6 (did not have this behavior) to CC (did not have this behavior) and then the most recent release of CC, only now did backspace start deleting my layers and it's  a huge productivity impact. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too can confirm that since updating to 22.5.0, Photoshop now deletes layers whenever Backspace is pressed. I am running Windows 11 (Beta Insider Build), previous versions have not done this (unless you've set it up to do this). I will work around the issue for now by using the DEL key for values... Still rather annoying though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i'm having this issue as well, not sure if it helps, but i'm on a microsoft surface pro running the most up to date windows 10 home edition. very frustrating issue! thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backspace=layer delete is definitely not helpful, as you described. This bug needs fixed yesterday. Really? Thought I was changing a numerical value and then noticed I had deleted 6 layers!

Mark @ MCO Fine Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When leaving a note in the "Notes" tool, using back space to delete text will not delete text. Instead, it prompts to delete layer. This is a new behavior and an annoying one. 

Mark @ MCO Fine Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

다름이 아니라 레이어 여러개 두고 한 레이어에 휴값을 바꿀라고 값에 커서두고 백스페이스를 눌렀는데 레이어가 사라집니다.. (삭제됨) 다들 레이어만 선택한거 아니냐 가 숫자 칸에 정확히 클릭한게 아니지 않냐 하시는데 정확히 클릭해서 값 숫자 수정하려고 백스페이스 눌렀는데 레이어가 지워져요 ㅠㅠ 레이어 스타일처럼 어느 환경에 들어가면 되는데 그외에 모든 숫저 변경은 전부 이런 상황입니다...  딜리트키나 숫자 전체선택해서 숫잡 입력해도 되긴하는데 어제까지 백스페이스로 변경하다가 이러니 불편해서요 ㅠㅠ 

참고로 .. 포토샵 껐다 켰다 , 컴퓨터 껐다 켰다 , 포토샵을 지웠다가 깔았다가  해봐도 안돼요 ㅠㅠ 도와주세요 ㅠ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. If you're using the latest version of Photoshop (22.5), this is a known issue & our product team has logged it as a bug.They are working on a fix for it.

For now, you can roll back to the previous version of Photoshop using the steps suggested here: https://adobe.ly/2wH0JjE

Please uninstall the latest version of Photoshop first & select the option to Keep Preferences prior to installing the previous version.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

With the latest update when i hit backspace it deletes currently selected layer instead of deleting one number in the opacity of a brush. I have the textbox selected but it just delets the layer. Hopefuly it can be resolved quickly as I can't use photoshop properly with this!

With Regards,

John Kirchner

Votes

Translate

Translate