• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Color Lookup - Crisp_Winter.look Displaying Black with Windows 11 kb008353 update installed

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Photoshop 23.1.1 Release I can not get a specific look file (Crisp_Winter.look) to display correctly

• When selecting color lookup
  • Then trying to load the 3DLUT File from the pull down menu
  • When selecting the option Crisp_Winter.look the image turns black
  • This is not suposed to happen, however the other look files work as expected
  • I've check the location: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022\Presets\3DLUTs
  • And the file exist.
  • This has worked in the past and I really need this look

Can anyone help or suggest a workaround?

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

There is a workaround to this issue on Windows 11 and it requires going to the Windows compatibility mode.

How to change Compatibility mode

1. Find the Photoshop.exe
  2. Right-Click the executable or shortcut file and select Properties in the pop-up menu.
  3. On the Properties window, click the Compatibility tab.
  4. Under the Compatibility mode section, check the Run this program in compatibility mode for box.
  5. In the drop-down box below the checkbox option, select the version of Windows to run the software p

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Easily reproducible and we are looking into it, thank you for the additional information.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

I've asked engineering to look into this issue with the recent kb008353 Windows 11 update.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
71 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a correct answer for Windows 11.  The dropdown menu only go up to Windows 8 (Please remove this as a correct answer)

We just need to know what sliders to adjust on an adjustment layer to produce a manual Crisp_Winter.look

Furthermore the latest version of Photoshop 23.2.0 still has this problem for Windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo. Seit einer Neuinstallation von Photoshop fehlen mir einige LUTs, bzw. wenn ich diese auswähle, erscheint ein komplett schwarzes Bild. Ich habe bereits festgestellt, dass die betroffenen LUTs vom Typ LOOKS sind. Im einzelnen betrifft das 2Strip, 3Strip, BleachBypass, CrispWinter, FallColors und SoftWarming. Die LUTs werden mir in der Auswahl angezeigt, bringen aber eben nur ein komplett schwarzes Bild. Kann mir da jemand etwas zu sagen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Die Luts funktionieren seit Windows 11 nicht mehr , fehler ust bekannt aber nicht behoben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not just Windows 11.

Seems the more recent versions of Windows 10 as well, some of the LUTS turn black for me on the current Win 10 Version ~21H2. However, I have not seen an issue yet with Windows Pro 10 19041.xxxx

There is a workaround to this issue on Windows 11 and it requires going to the Windows compatibility mode.

How to change Compatibility mode

1. Find the Photoshop.exe
  2. Right-Click the executable or shortcut file and select Properties in the pop-up menu.
  3. On the Properties window, click the Compatibility tab.
  4. Under the Compatibility mode section, check the Run this program in compatibility mode for box.
  5. In the drop-down box below the checkbox option, select the version of Windows to run the software program under, for compatibility.
  6. Click the OK button to save the settings.

Screenshot 2022-02-16 131821.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works, but makes Photoshop very slow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today came a Photoshop update, thought the error was fixed. I rejoiced too early, the layers are still displayed black

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i use the colour look up filter most of the photoshop defaults work fine expet for the ones ending with the extentions .look anyone know how to fix this ? When i use the .look filteres my whole canvas goes black...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reported the error for a long time and the error is known, For most it affects Windows 11.
It's really about time that it is fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the idea that is proposed to run Photoshop in Windows8 compatibility mode makes Photoshop very slow!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the LUTS remain broken in 23.2.2 as is the Sys Info, ie PS freezes when attempting to get Sys Info.

Intel i9, 64Gb or ram 😉

Oh well 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both seem to work here. What is broken with LUTs for you?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the LUTS just return a black screen, but only a few. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which LUTs and are you working in 8 bit or 16 bit so that I can try and replicate?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[removed by moderator] before new update i could dial in the LUT fill, now it seems just either on or off. "Fill" doesnt work with LUTs.

i'm working with 16 bit raw files

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry i dont mean LUT's i mean the Lib files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm

Black image occurs in 8 or 16 bit processing mode.

Problem is 100% reproducible.

The following LUTS are impacted: 2strip, 3strip, BeachBypass, CrispWarm & FallColors.

Other 'baseline'LUTS seem OK. Other LUTS (CUBE based) seem OK.

Plus, as I reorted, Ps freezes, and is confirmed in Win Task Manager, if I try and get Sys Info from the Help menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce the LUT issue using Image Adjustments Color Look up. The image does indeed turn black. Applying the same LUT adjustment via an adjustment layer, which is my normal practice, works fine.

I cannot reproduce the issue with the System Info causing a freeze. Have you tried any steps steps to resolve this on your system e.g. a preference reset?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm

I glad the LUT bug is reproducible 😉

As for not being able to get Sys Info, I can confirm fully deleting the preferences setting folder and restarying Ps, does nothing. That is selecting Sys Info freezes Ps, which is confirmed the the Win Task Manager, ie 'not responding'.

The only way out is to stop the Ps Win task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Everything's in the title: it's been one month my Photoshop isn't able to process .look files when used in LUT adjustment layers.

I'm running the latest version of photoshop to date on a windows setup (latest version too).

Any help would be appreciated as I usually work a lot with LUT adjustment layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, Julien!

Can we have more info about the software that created the .look file? 

Does the default .look files work, or just a custom one?

Is 23.2.2 the only version affected? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for your fast answer. The problem occurs with the default .look files.

By the way, I just tried the solution proposed by Daniel Presedo and it's working for me. 

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has only just started happening at work - but when I've selected the 'colour lookup' adjustment layer, then picked either 2 strip or 3 strip from the 3DLUT section, the image goes completely black. This also happens with a few other LUT options. 

One of my colleagues is getting the same issue, the other colleague isn't. We are all on different Photoshop versions and different hardware (but all on Windows 11). I've just updated to the latest version (23.2.2) and this hasn't resolved it. I've changed my document from CMYK to RGB which also hasn't made a difference.

Any suggestions? Anyone else having this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're all waiting for a real solution 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I have the exact same issue, I wish the there is a good solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another issue that seems to be related to the issue of some of the standard LUTs displaying as black, as it occurred at the same time. When used on a layer mask, the "Foreground to Transparent" gradient in the Basics gradient filter also turns the mask black, even when reverse is checked on, which normally, would simply change the gradient to White to Transparent. Why this is important is that the Black to Transparent gradient (normally) does not override itself when applied from different starting points on a layer mask. In other words, (normally) you could mask out 4 corners of an image, or any combination of corners and sides of an image, as opposed to the Black to White gradient which overrides itself each time you reapply it. If you wanted to, you could create a vignette on a single layer mask by using the Black to Transparent gradient. Or, with the Black to Transparent gradient you could mask out all of the edges of an overlay when they didn't completely disappear. This is no longer possible with the Black to Transparent gradient tool because it now turns the entire layer mask black. Perhaps in that, there exists a hint as to what is happening to the aforementioned LUTs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate