• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Create new window not reflecting right dimensions from clipboard

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having an issue with photoshop where File > New > is not auto-inputting the clipboard size into the canvas size for the new document. This has worked on every version of photoshop until this point. I sadly ended up on version 23.3.2 (photoshop just updated itself in the last couple days I guess without me noticing, and I am pretty sure I had that auto update turned off since I reverted back to 22.2 a couple weeks ago, sigh)

Have you guys considered testing your product before launching updates? I reverted back to 22.2 because of all the bugs I was experiencing with the latest versions. Seems turning auto update off cant even save me. 

{Thread title modified by moderator}

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Hi everyone, 

The fix for this should be available to all now and will come from the Creative Cloud desktop app, and not through a Photoshop update. 

To update: 

• Visit the Creative Cloud Desktop app's "Updates" tab, and click Check for Updates. 
  • If that doesn't resolve it, try signing out of Creative Cloud desktop app, and signing back in.

If you performed this workaround, you may need to revert those workaround steps to receive the updated plugin. 

If updated successfully, you will se

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Just switched to Legacy "New Document" Interface and it works fine that way.

Edit > Preferences > General > check Use Legacy "New Document" Interface

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 310 Replies 310
310 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I think there is no automatic way to autosave to your desired location hope in the future we will get such a feature and for other questions as we have different color profiles for every document we see such things which we need to match hope it will help you.regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found another answer about the saving files - NOT to the cloud - part of my post. It's in Preferences > File Handling > Default file location. I was able to set it to "On your computer" to fix that particular issue.

My main question is about the clipboard glitch ... but thanks for your response

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fix_save_to_cloud.jpgThey set it to try to trick people into "saving to the stupid cloud". To undo that mess, go to preferences > File Handling > Default File Location:, then select from the drop down menu "On Your Computer" and you should be rid of the "save to cloud junk"... 

Untitled-1.jpgThey really need to fix this and roll out a corrected update RIGHT NOW. 

fix_clipboard_bug_workaround.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Complexity, this was causing me so many issues its unbeleivable it was even a problem to begin with. This fixed it and the legacy new doc works faster too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

👏 👏 👏 🤩

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks complexity... lives just got saved 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the old versions of Photoshop when I had an image captured in the clipboard, when creating a new file, Photoshop created a file according to the image I was going to paste, with the same size and resolution, but that doesn't happen anymore. I've tried everything, I even uninstalled and reinstalled the program, it didn't solve the problem. I'm going to install a very old version now to see if it solves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Provazi's answer above: "Just switched to Legacy "New Document" Interface and it works fine that way. Edit > Preferences > General > check Use Legacy "New Document" Interface "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jain, this worked for me, though I would prefer the newer visual dialogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@~ Gil wrote:

Thank you Jain, this worked for me, though I would prefer the newer visual dialogue.

There are multiple workarounds for this bug until it is fixed by Adobe.

One work around uses a script to create a new doc from the clipboard, either bypassing the GUI or using the legacy new doc GUI. This allows you to use the "new" interface for everything else except for when you need a new doc from the clipboard.

Some of the other solutions may also allow one to retain the new interface, I don't know, I haven't tested them as I always use the legacy interface anyway as I prefer the old way. The method of setting the legacy new document interface in preferences is just the quickest and easiest method to work around the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the things I use photoshop for is pasting images into it by creating a new "clipboard" document.
This worked fine until I started having problems with Photoshop filling up my hardrive to capacity with scratch disc data. 
When I select "clipboard' as the new document size it instead creates a 300 dpi, 7 x 5 inch "default photoshop size."
How do I fix this??
In the attached image you will see a newly created "clipboard" sized canvas with the clipboard image pasted into it.

I uninstalled then reinstalled Photoshop today and get the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more annoyance? One more update that seems to ignore users' workflows? Unless there's a new shortcut for it, when I create a new document (Cmd + N) to create a new document based on what's in the clipboard, Photoshop now starts by default with the latest dimensions used. So every time I need to do this, which can be hundreds in a day, I need to close it and redo Cmd + N, as the new dimension is rarely the same as the previous used. On the second time it uses the clipboard content. That's even worse than the "improvement" from CS, when Photoshop would promptly retain the resolution from the previous new document and automatically double one dimension when the other got doubled -- all this process of doubling the size of images for Retina displays must be done manually now, after closing and starting the new document window. Four steps more, hundreds of times a day, I think of all the extra strain that could be avoided just by going back to what CS had, which worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to add another vote to fixing the issue quickly.  I prefer the new interface, but will use the legacy interface as the issue had been a serious hinderance to my workflow.  I'll probably forget this and never change it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue, though I should add that I'm still experiencing the issue after enabling Use Legacy "New Document" Interface. I also tried Sameer K's suggestion of renaming the UXP directory to ~UXP, but that didn't fix it, either.

I gather that the legacy New Document interface helped most people with this issue, but the behavior was exactly the same for me: it doesn't seem to read the current clipboard dimensions until it's already applied its stale dimensions to the new document. It seems to set the new document's dimensions to some previously cached clipboard size and then read the up-to-date clipboard size from the OS. Again, this behavior is identical between the new and legacy New Document interfaces.

I'm also on Windows 10 (specifically Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.19043), and I see this bug on Photoshop 23.4.1 Release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MatthiasB837 – you could try the script that I posted earlier in the topic, which allows you to continue to use the "new" new document interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually, I can take a screencap or a Win+Shift+S regional screencap, hop into Photoshop, start a new document where "clipboard" is already selected, paste it in, and then just go from there. The new document matches the dimensions of the screencap I did, of course.

But over the past couple of weeks, the dimensions of the new document don't match the dimensions of my screencap. The work around, I've found, is that if I click some other dimension option in the New dialog and then click back to clipboard, then the dimensions update to match the actual thing.

It's not a lot of work, but it's a bug. If "Clipboard" is the already-selected option in my New Dialog, then it should obviously be the dimensions of the current clipboard without requiring me to click a different option and then click back to the thing I already want and have come to expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sameer K - that fixed my issue in Photoshop clipboard but then I went into After Effects which consistently crashed until I changed ~UXP to UXP again
I look forward to a new photoshop update

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working with an image, I used to be able to make a selection, then Copy>CTRL+N (enter)>CTRL+V.
That would create a new image THE SIZE OF THE SELECTION, and paste what I copied into that image.
That no longer works every time, it seems to work or not work randomly.  Most of the time, when I CTRL+N, it just makes a new image the last size I used.
Any workaround to this?  Am I missing somehting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working with an image, I used to be able to make a selection, then Copy>CTRL+N (enter)>CTRL+V.

By @Mr. Screenname

This is a known issue and engineers are working on a fix. Workarounds include:

• Preferences > General > check Use Legacy "New Document" Interface
  • Click a different preset, then choose the Clipboard preset again

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merging this with the existing conversation about this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the update when i made a copy and paste the canvas size was correct, but now with the new update all is mess up... not the correct canvas size or unit. i already made the preferences reset, but did not work.

Note: The dreamweaver update was the same  lots of problems

MacOS: 10.15.7

Photoshop: 23.4.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This issue has already been reported and as of yet has not been fixed, there are some workarounds in this thread

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-create-new-window-not-reflecting-right-dim...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this is the only way at the moment.

To make it even simpler you can do it with the keyboard only:

CMD+N > right arrow > left arrow > enter

(I guess in Win too)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guten Tag,

seit etwa zwei Wochen habe ich das Problem, wenn ich ein neues Dokument aus der Zwischenablage erstellen möchte, dass Photoshop das neue Dokument immer zu groß wählt und nicht meht genau passgenau.

Hat jemand eine Idee?

Vielen Dank!

Viele Grüße

Christian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merging the thread with existing conversation about this issue. Please try the workarounds suggested in the conversation.

Votes

Translate

Translate