• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CS4, CS5, CS6, CC: Cursor disappears on Mountain Lion (MacOS 10.8)

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My cursor keeps disappearing with CS4 and CS5. This started after I installed Mountain Lion. I have noticed this on 2 different iMacs, one at home and one at work.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013
Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks corrects this problem where the cursor would disappear in various applications, including Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013
This is a known bug in MacOS 10.8 that affects multiple applications.
(it happens to me most often in Safari, with no Photoshop running. And you can see a lot of reports of this in Apple's user forums.)

We have notified Apple of the problem, and are waiting for an OS fix from Apple. It is still unfixed as of MacOS 10.8.5.

Unfortunately, this is something that we cannot work around.

UPDATE - Apple fixed it in 10.9

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 308 Replies 308
308 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS5 cursors and brushes continually disappear now that I have upgraded to Mac OS 10.8.2. Did not have this problem before with OS 10.6.8. I see the others on the Adobe Forum are having the identical problem. The only way to get the vanished cursor back is to leave PS for another app, or the Finder, and then return to PS. Problem repeats a few minutes later. Especially quick to happen as brush sizes are changed, usually upon reduction in brush size. This problem is a workflow killer on deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some users have had luck doing a clean OS install and having this OS bug disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also agree. Why do our cursors not disappear anywhere but in Photoshop? This is the only bug that has affected me in using Mac OS 10.8.2, that I know of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, other users have seen this in many other applications - please see the other discussions on other sites: it is a common problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2013 Mar 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I upgrade my Apple OS something doesn't work in Photoshop. Sometimes it's a filter sometimes an entire suite of filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will Adobe fix the missing cursor problem? Since moving to Mountain Lion OS the cursor from many of the brush tools disappear when they move off of the canvas. I can get it back by playing around with the desktop but it is a pain and time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe cannot fix a system wide bug affecting many applications on MacOS 10.8.
We're all waiting on Apple to fix their cursor bugs in 10.8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just submitted a bug report to Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are any of you that are experiencing the cursor disappearing with any repeatability located in the bay area in California?
Near SanFrancisco or San Jose perhaps?

Let me know, we'd love to work with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Describes my experience exactly...so frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really frustrating...same disappearing cursor as described by everyone else in this thread.... I'm a professional illustrator...this is a major problem for me...sure wish Adobe or Apple would help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've repeatedly asked Apple to fix this, but have not heard any progress from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Douglas, are you on a 27" iMac?
Where are you located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete, Yes, I'm on a 27" iMac. Im located in British Columbia, Canada.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Douglas. I may have a few more questions for you later. Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any help would be much appreciated.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got this problem too, mostly i notice this with the clone stamp tool. What i do is cmd+tab back to PS and the cursor is back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw, Mountain Lion 10.8.4 and of course all PS patches installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right. So hows that going Pete?? Still 'looking into it?' .....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a pretty major problem, occurring over a looonngg period of time....why no fix????

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did want to update my status on this issue. After upgrading to CS6 and STILL having the cursor disappear, I opted for a clean install of Mt Lion. Erased the drive, installed clean with a flash drive loaded with the installer, and then did a completely clean install of the Adobe Design Premium suite. It has been three months and I have had the cursor disappear maybe once or twice. Prior to the fresh install it was disappearing constantly during every use. Here were the instructions I used for the clean install. http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/25/how-to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has not been able to reproduce the problem reliably, and the bug is in the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fear there will never be a solution for this truky annoying problem. All in all Adobe is constantly fingerpointing towards Apple but sofar nothing has happened. Now in a few weeks we are being more or less forced towards CC. This means for me CS6 has never really worked while I paid for it. Chris can you imagine how willing I am upgrading towards CC if I have no guaruantees that I will receive a fully functional product. Or even that bugs will be taken seriously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We take our bugs very seriously, but we cannot fix bugs that are not in our code. Apple has to fix the bugs in Apple's code. And this is a very well known bug in Apple's code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what I mean Chris. Apple does not seem to worry about this alleged bug of theirs, 3 servicepack releases have gone by without a solution for this. And why should Apple care, their OS seems to work fine, the majority of this issue is with Adobe products. Adobe does not seem to care much either that their customers are suffering and not really willing to push Apple to solve this.

Is there any guaruantee that this attitude will improve with CC? Do I get a discount on my monthly payments if I run into bugs like this? Or do I have to continue to pay without ever getting a fully functional service? Is Adobe taking me seriously as a customer?

Votes

Translate

Translate