• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CS4, CS5, CS6, CC: Cursor disappears on Mountain Lion (MacOS 10.8)

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My cursor keeps disappearing with CS4 and CS5. This started after I installed Mountain Lion. I have noticed this on 2 different iMacs, one at home and one at work.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013
Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks corrects this problem where the cursor would disappear in various applications, including Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013
This is a known bug in MacOS 10.8 that affects multiple applications.
(it happens to me most often in Safari, with no Photoshop running. And you can see a lot of reports of this in Apple's user forums.)

We have notified Apple of the problem, and are waiting for an OS fix from Apple. It is still unfixed as of MacOS 10.8.5.

Unfortunately, this is something that we cannot work around.

UPDATE - Apple fixed it in 10.9

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 308 Replies 308
308 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which model machine?
Which GPU?

And have you contacted Apple about this bug in Mountain Lion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. This is not a caps lock thing. Brush or other cursor disappears while working. Ctrl Tab, switching applications and returning to PS CS5 returns the brush. Any ideas what is causing this?

MacBook Pro: 2.2 i7, 8GB, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024mb graphics,
7200rpm HD

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not contacted Apple yet.

27" iMac, Mid 2010
3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
12 GB memory
ATi Radeon HD 5670 512 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also seems to happen when I have 2 files open at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Any fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imac mid august 2011 - Mountain Lion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have multiple displays connected?

Yes, this appears to be a bug introduced in MacOS 10.8.
But we also need to know which GPU you have in your system (because it might be brand or model specific).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have multiple displays at home but not on my machine at work. Same issue on both 27" iMacs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection 5.5. Since I upgraded my iMac and my MBP to Mountain Lion my mouse cursor keeps disappearing in Adobe Photoshop. When I drag the mouse down to the dock the mouse reappears but only for a few seconds. This is so annoying that it's nearly impossible to work seriously. I didn't find any way to solve the problem when I googled the problem. Is there anything I can do without having to downgrade to Lion again? Are there many having the same issue? I would be so thankful for a solution :)

My configurations:
iMac 27" (Late 2009)
OS X 10.8.1
Core i7 2.8 GHz
16GB 1067MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
No multiple Displays

MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2011)
OSX 10.8.0
Core i7 2.5 GHz
16GB 1333MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing Mountain Lion, my cursor in Photoshop disappears just about every time I go from working on the canvas to the layers palette. My workaround right now is to quickly jump into mission control or my widgets and then jump back, but sometimes that doesn't even work. Here are my specs:

Master Suite CS 5.1
27-inch, Late 2009
Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
Software OS X 10.8 (12A269)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is frustrating. Photoshop CS5 brushes worked fine until OSX Mountain Lion Install on My iMac 27"...It is not model specific or a brand it is happening across the board on many models and MacBooks. GPU I don't think so..Glitch that either Apple or Adobe needs to fix..It is frustrating as heck trying to design my graphics and losing my brush all the time..Did a google search and many people are having this issue..AND it is not a caps lock on think with me either...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a video driver but that Apple will need to address.
Please let Apple know about the problem, and that you expect them to fix their bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't you think this would get fixed a whole lot faster if Adobe contacted Apple directly? Adobe already seems to more about the issue than I do or ever will. I'm your customer too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. We'll have to research it, and provide steps to reproduce the problem, then wait for Apple to decide if they want to fix it.

But Apple moves a lot faster for unhappy customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. But NOT unique to Mountain Lion. Problem first occurred after updating CS3 to CS5.5 on Snow Leopard (10.6.8) system.

15" MacBook Pro (early 2011)
Core i7; 2 GHz
Cinema display attached
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6490M

BTW, apologies if this is a dual post. First attempt got stuck in "replying" mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012 Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem ever since I switched to Mountain Lion. I can't work seriously like this. The problem goes away when I click on the desktop, but returns quickly again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here. several other people seem to have similar issues in other threads too.

I contacted Wacom about this and have been trying to raise this with Apple. wacom was very helpful but pointing to Adobe and Apple, Apple no sensible response yet, Adobe? Not sure yet.

It would be nice if this can be fixed.

I have this on several machines;

CS5.5 Master collection on a rMBP
CS6.0 Master Collection on a Macpro 2011 12core, ati5770.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just purchased Wacom Intuos 5 tablet. Recently updated to Mountain Lion and use Photoshop CS 5 Extended (Version 12.1x64) on MAC OSX 10.8.1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

As soon as I installed Intuos 5, big problems arose. None were solvable either through Apple or Wacom. I was advised to completely clean out my computer, back everything up to an external drive and reinstall all programs. A local tech shop did this for me ($300). DID NOT WORK. Computer still freezes whenever I move the Wacom pen too quickly, have multiple files open in Photoshop (cursor also disappears).

Noticed something interesting while computer was at the shop.... as soon as the tablet froze, the CPU (in the Activity Monitor) jumped from 1 to 98%. when I 'force quit' Wacom, the number comes down and am able to use Photoshop for short duration.

Only yesterday did I learn from Adobe that Photoshop CS5 and Mountain lion NEVER worked well together- and with Wacom tablet added - the whole system corrupts. He advised that I deinstall Wacom, make sure Photoshop CS 5 is UPDATED, reinstall latest updated Wacom driver, restart. These steps have helped much but occasionally computer still freezes. The ultimate but costly advice given was to upgrade to CS 6. It is far superior to CS 5 and it is compatible with Mountain Lion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will never buy legal software again!!!!!!!! This issue has cost me thousands and neither adobe, apple or wacom will take responsibility!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mountain Lion is flawed in respect to WIFI, since it installation my cursor disappears in photoshop which makes me unemployable!!!!!!!! I personally don't give a F*** if its a wacom, apple or adobe issue JUST GIVE ME A FREAKING SOLUTION!!!!!!!! YOU'VE HAD MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Been told by Apple we are awaiting fix from Adobe. This is making photoshop virtually useless. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple always says that, even after acknowledging bugs on their side...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't care who's issue it is. Apple will blame Adobe and Adobe will blame Apple. I for one and VERY Frustrated with this issue and for me it happened as soon as I upgraded to Mountain Lion. As an illustrator I depend on Photoshop for my work which is daily and I just can NOT put up with this any longer. My cursor becomes erratic and disappears using any form of brush and this is unacceptable.
I wish I could return Photoshop for the ridiculous $$ they charge for this program and tell them to stick the program where the sun doesn't shine..

Do either of them care? NO!!! It will take one of us USERS to become totally fed up and come up with with a fix.

As usual I guess I will have to spend many hours on google and search for similar issues and see if any fixes have been found recently ( not that I have not done that already)..It seems that I have always found fixes in searching the web rather than waiting around for any software manufacturer to fix their friggin bugs.

I use BRUSHES in everything I do..Nothing worse that telling a customer " I can have this done in 2 hours" NOT ..I bet a 12 year old comes up with a fix on google and the credit will go elsewhere..

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All affected need to become an embarassment to apple, every blog we can get on even for non related devices such as phones, pads etc. I have already begun and will not stop until the negative publicity generated from the little guys like me becomes so loud the corporate juggernauts of apple and adobe do something to sort this out! . . . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple does have a number of known problems in 10.8, which they will eventually fix in their dot releases.

If you'd like Apple to fix this issue sooner, please let Apple know that you consider this to be an important issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate