• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CS6 / CC Keyboard shortcuts not responding Mavericks/Yosemite MacOS 10.9; 10.10

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Installing Mavericks on my mac pro, the keyboard shortcuts, such as zooming in/out, undo etc, intermittently do not respond.
I have to click on another tool in the tool bar to get the keyboard to respond again.
The problem returns intermittently and seemingly not as a result of the Auto Save function.
My mac pro 15" has 8gb of ram which is more than enough for the type of work I do.I am an illustrator who primarily works around the brush tool.
Have tried disabling Graphics Processor and restarting, but this does not resolve the issue.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

This issue is fixed in macOS 10.11 or later.

---

Thanks for reporting this issue and your help with troubleshooting. We appreciate your patience and willingness to work with us.

Here's our official document and workaround for this issue:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/p...

Menus, shortcuts, Lasso tool, and/or Photoshop stop working when using a Wacom tablet | Mac OS

When you use Photoshop with a Wacom tablet, one or more of the following may occur:

• menus, panels, or dialog boxes turn

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 477 Replies 477
477 Comments
Dec 05, 2013 Dec 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Interesting... We aren't thinking it's tablet though because the brush/keyboard freeze is happening on an identical computer station that is not using a Wacom (ok so not exactly identical...but that's the only difference) I wonder how many others are experiencing this problem without using a Wacom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Susan,

If you'd like, we can do a web-supported screenshare and try to get to the bottom of your problem this afternoon (sorry, meetings all morning -- I'm on PST). We can easily and reliably reproduce this with Wacom connected but no luck without one. If you have a different scenario, then perhaps the bug is an OS problem or even with PS. But we'd need more data. Please let me know if you want to do this.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we definitely have it happening on a computer without a Wacom. It's a little less tenacious but definitely happening. In my biased opinion, I think it's the OS, but kind of hope it's PS because you guys are so much better with support than Apple. I am in PST too and may have some down time this afternoon but I do have some deadlines to meet... maybe talk later today? Thanks so much David!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am. But nothing in my setup changed when upgrading to 10.9. I have had no Wacom or key command issues outside of Adobe CS. Perhaps there is something in the OS that may not be a bug, but it changed enough to affect your software, which would be something Adobe would be responsible for working out, obviously.

I dont have time at the moment, but if some people would want to uninstall their Wacom driver, unplug it from the computer and (gasp) use a MOUSE... Maybe more people can confirm that this is indeed a bug with or without a Wacom. I'm suspecting it is. I may be able to try this tomorrow, but the more people who test this the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Han, I can confirm that it happens without a Wacom. We have two identical computer stations with same versions of the OS and software except one does not have a tablet and it happens on that computer as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a freelance illustrator using Photoshop for long periods every day. Since upgrading to Mavericks and Photoshop CC a few days ago I am experiencing many of the problems listed above. I use a Wacom Intuos 5 and had none of these problems before upgrading. As in Vivek's post above, I too am finding this is having a serious impact on my output and it's becoming very frustrating. The main issues I am experiencing are:

Intermittent lack of response to keyboard commands such as switching tools, If I am using the brush tool and then want to switch to say the magic wand, nothing happens until I either click directly on the tool in it's palette or click outside of the file area which makes it switch.

The side button on my Wacom stylus is set to bring up contextual menus and the brush palette so I can adjust my brush on the fly. Since the upgrade it doesn't respond until I click away from the image area and then back on the image, sometimes opening and closing several times if I have made several attempts to bring up a menu or palette. Very annoying to say the least.

Command Z does not work in Photoshop. I have various hot keys set up such as F3 to create a new layer but these rarely work now.

Mini Bridge is also not working, it just says 'No items to display' but I can live without this.

The lack of keyboard shortcuts is really slowing me down and I am not looking forward to having to go back to Mountain Lion and CS4 so I can get back on track with my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll shoot you some email and we can go from there, Susan. 8-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can get a reproducible case without Wacom, that would be really helpful. Of course, if the bug is on our end, we'll fix it ASAP. Any input you've got is helpful; obviously we're reading your posts! 8-)

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy James,

The RADAR bug with Apple is 14470880. I do not know the Wacom number, sorry.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

as I said in my post, it happens even with a one-button mouse.
no tablet here.

Paolo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paolo,

Again, we cannot reproduce this bug in-house without a tablet. That means there's at least one more variable which is not being captured or identified in this discussion. In order to solve this problem for you, however, we must figure out what that missing element is. That is why I ask the questions I ask and need clear answers.

I understand you have no tablet. What about other applications? I have seen MANY (50+) users who've had similar problems and when we diagnosed their system, some other application was causing the problem. Dictation is one big offender on Mavericks as are Wacom tablets, but I've seen others. What is on YOUR machine that makes it different than a vanilla, factory-install, which is what we're testing on?

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

no other applications running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is of any use, I can confirm that this bug happens on both Windows 7 and Mavericks. I experienced this problem on my Mac even before updating to Mavericks.

I use a Wacom Intuos 4 with the latest drivers. I've never run into this issue with my W7 machine prior to getting Photoshop CC

Edit to be more useful**

I had Photoshop CS6 on my W7 machine prior to upgrading to CC. I've never had this problem up until the upgrade.
After buying a macbook pro, I went ahead and got the creative cloud. This is when I noticed the hotkey bug.
Then came the Mavericks update. Still experienced the bug
The macbook is exclusively for design and illustration so I only have a few programs actually installed outside of the CC apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fresh install of Mavericks, no applications running but Photoshop CS6 and Mail.
dictation off.
:(

Paolo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Paolo,

Another application does not have to be running in order to cause a problem. Most screen capture apps have certain keystroke combos which cause them to take over keyboard input, for instance, but do not appear to be running and do not appear in the doc. See Jeff Tranberry's post, above, with the System Preference screenshot. I would check that as well. Most users who I had done a troubleshooting session on this didn't realize that their sidecar app was active either. If you want, I might be able to do a web-mediated screenshare with you later this afternoon (it's noon for me; I'm in California/Pacific Time).

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want, we can try and do a web-conference/screenshare later this afternoon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Steven,

Well, if you're willing, later today or tomorrow we could do a web-mediate screenshare to troubleshoot the problem... Ping me back if you're interested. The majority of users who've had this problem have been on Maverick, but perhaps there are various permutations of this bug...

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be great.

Thanks in advance

Paolo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem before Maverick. I experienced it as soon as I got a new Macbook Air that I installed Photoshop CC on. Upgrading to Maverick upon its release didn't fix.

I don't have the problem at work, where I run 10.8.4 with Photoshop CS6 on an older Mac Pro. I use a Wacom Cintiq 21UX on both setups.

I've also experienced this issue on my Macbook Air Maverick CC setup when it isn't hooked up to my Cintiq, but was instead to a Huion graphics tablet using the Huion driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to switch to CS 5 the other day, because of instability with the keyboard no Issues with that so its definitely CC. only apps open when using photoshop
Safari, calendar, mail, notes

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great,

thanks David.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd certainly be willing to do a bit of troubleshooting if it would help towards a resolution! Tomorrow would be best, I'm totally free before 5:30pm CST

*edit

Just spent about the last 20 minutes trying to replicate the bug on Windows 7. Was unable to do it. Maybe I was just imagining things...
That aside, it's certainly still happening on the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked for over an hour this morning with just Photoshop CC running and NO Bridge running in the background. Chrome was running for half of that time. I was using mostly paint tools and I don't recall having a single problem unlike the last few days. As soon as I launched Bridge to locate some files and started working again, hey presto... Command Z failed on first use of key command. I will try this again later without Bridge running for as long as I can to see what happens.

I should also mention that I still have Photoshop CS4 installed on the same iMac and when I quit CC and use CS4 (still running Mavericks) I do not have any of the problems mentioned above. It's definitely a CC issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2013 Dec 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem with shortcuts in CC 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,