• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Dialog boxes / error messages pop up invisibly - macOS

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When an error or alert occurs the dialog box is invisible. Some examples of the alerts include but are not limited to: "No pixels were selected because the layer is empty" or "Do you want to save the document before closing?" Clicking anywhere on the screen prompts an audible error noise (as though you tried to click outside of the dialog box you've been prompted to respond to). The box is not appearing on a different monitor or behind other windows, it is simply invisible and cannot be interacted with unless you press Enter or Escape on the keyboard. Upon pressing the Escape key to close the dialog box, the box becomes visible for a fraction of a second before closing—revealing its location. This has hindered my workflow, especially when trying to close a document I don't want to save changes to because then I must force Photoshop to quit. Running on Mac. Version 23.2.2

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Is anybody able to reproduce this experience of missing dialogs regularly that would be interested in working with a Ps developer to help investigate? If so, shoot me an email -- petgreen at adobe dot com

Thanks in advanced!

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 170 Replies 170
170 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photohop version 22.5.0

MacOS BigSur version 11.5.2

Mac Pro (2019)

There is a problem in MacOS BigSur with Photoshop, that system dialogue boxes for saving and printing appears invisible/behind the application. You know there is a system dialog appearing when all the option in menus inside photoshop being grayed out/unselectable. The only way to proceed, is to press 'enter'. This selects the default option in the system dialogue (that you can't see), the system dialouge appears in a flash as the choice is made, and you can proceed with Photoshop. 

This has happened to me when saving a file (which makes it impossible to save a file, unless you choose 'save as'), and it also happens when printing documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just took delivery of M1 Max MacBook Pro (64GB) and this same thing has happened since installing. It is not just the "save" dialogue - any popup dialogue is invisible and only option, as OP states, is to hit "enter" and hope you didn't just volunteer for something. But also having problems with clone stamp not applying pixels half the time. I have already lost work to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My dialogue box opens on the wrong screen or behind the open window or I have no idea where it is.

The problem is that all options there-after are greyed out on photoshop - until I can locate the diolgue box as the software is waiting for a command.

Each action (including escape) just beeps

Other than opening on the wrong screen, I am forced to crash Photoshop.

I am constantly battling with this. 

How can i better control the dialgue box in photoshop on a mac?

Thanks

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, are you on a Mac using Monterey, with multiple screens? see https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/macos12-monterey-known-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, when I alt+click when using the healing tools or the clone stamp tools, photoshop interface becomes unusable and i have to press escape to get it back

This seems to be happening because the dialog box that pops up after pressing alt+click is completely hidden and is impossible to bring to the front.

new m1 max MBP and latest everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it's not a feeeze so much, it's just the warning dialogs are all hidden behind all the windows and cannot get them to the front.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I bought my new 16" macbook pro I've had this problem with photoshop.

All the the warning dialog boxes don't come to the front and thus, the interface of photoshop is unusable. This has been the case from the beginning on a brand new install. 

Using expose to reveal all windows doesn't show the dialog box either, in fact the only way to get the warning dialog come to the front is to alt-click on the photoshop app icon. 

This happens with every single warning inside photoshop. I cannot find a solution. 

In the attached video you can see what happens when I cause photoshop to present me with a warning about the clipboard being too big. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a laptop. Do you ever have an external monitor connected? Or only ever use the built in monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not been able to reproduce this issue. More details are needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What details do you need? Brand new MBP 16", brand new install of photoshop and this has been happening since the beginning of me installing it.

I've reset prefs multiple times. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What steps are you performing to hit a dialog that goes behind the app frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just using photoshop as normal.

Ie, closing a document, then then save warning dialog gets lost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. I cannot reproduce that behavior. The warning dialogs appear in front of the app frame. 

Let's get back to a known state in case there's a stale setting somewhere:

Restore your preferences using this manual method:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Does it work correctly?
If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.
If it does solve the problem, I would like to get the folder of settings to try and figure out what is bad with them.

If that doesn't work, it may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded to Monterey and none of my menus or popup boxes show up, they act like they are there, and I must hit enter to close the ghost popup. I tried to create a new workspace and it worked until I reopened the program and then stopped. Photoshop 23.2.1 is not useable in Monterey. I reinstalled the previous version and everything appears to be working in 22.5.5. Will this be fixed soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not heard of this problem from anyone else. 

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale setting somewhere:
Restore your preferences using this manual method:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Does it work correctly?
If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.
If it does solve the problem, I would like to get the folder of settings to try and figure out what is bad with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly Jeffrey!

I tried this and it didn't work. Upon opening, the settings defaulted to the original dark interface and application window but none of the buttons or menus work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an experienced user running Mac OS 12.2.1 on a new MacBook Pro Max M1 16" 2021, with 64GB memory and 2TB SSD. I am running PS 23.2.1.

Periodically and without warning, though often when using the clone stamp tool, the computer will freeze and fail to accept any inputs, including attempt to shut down the program. Having experienced these symptoms in 2017 and again in 2021 I guessed this was a sub-menu pop-up that was not visible. Nothing I can do will reveal the question that PS wants me to answer so I end up hitting enter and crossing my fingers. The thing is, once it starts happening it is continuous, coming back every time I try to use the clone stamp tool (today's tool) or when I try to repair the tool, or pick another one,  which marks the end of my editing session as even a restart won't get it to stop. I'm not so concerned that one day the hidden message will be "do you really want to wipe your NAS?", but I certainly would like to get through a whole day of work without having to quit out of frustration over this perennial affliction. I figure it must be something I am doing without knowing it. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try renaming the UXP folder
Rename the UXP folder to ~UXP.
• (Windows) Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\UXP
• (macOS) Navigate to Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/UXP

If that fixes it, I'd like to get a copy of the renamed UXP folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of macOS are you on? Are the steps to make this happen consistent for you? Does it happen when you're using a single monitor? If you're in this state does cmd + tab to another app and back bring the dialog forward?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. MacBook and 2 external monitors set up. Dialog boxes are unreachable, and it causes me to lose my work. (Can't save nor quit Photoshop)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received a brand new mac built with all the bells and whistles. I am having an error in Photoshop that happens occasionally. I am editing an image set and then as I'm working, the pop-up command box opens BEHIND the main panel. I cannot move anything to get to it. The only way to move beyond that is to hit "return" and it finishes the command and executes. This could be for saving, running an action - anything. I'm not sure if it's an error that PS is encountering with some older actions I've created, causing the dialogue box to open behind the main window? I cannot get that command window to open in front the images to be able to select it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it has happened to me, pressing ESC will get me back out of the "frozen" state and then I'm able to use File > Save/Save As.

For me, this happens for anything that would normally cause a pop-up window for things like "do you want to save before closing?" etc. 

I'm on a 16" M1 Max MBP running up to date Photoshop and Monterey 12.2.1, have an external monitor, wacom tablet, trackpad. This wasn't happening a few weeks ago with the same setup.

SO tired of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @J453,

I'm having the same issue where all the pop-up dialogue boxes are hidden behind/invisible. I can make them show up only by alt+click the Ps icon on the dock, a trick I discovered only after reading of someone else having the same issue.

I'm as well on a MBP 16'' M1 Max. macOS Monterey 12.3.1 and Photoshop updated to the latest version. I encountered the same behaviour in the previous Ps version too. I work with an external monitor UsbC to HDMI.

I tried restoring the preferences and switching/unplugging the external monitor, but the issue is still present.

To reiterate, the issue is the same as this other ticket https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/popup-window-invisible-ps-23-1-1-mac-....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Anytime a dialog box is triggered, it remains hidden behind the canvas. The app isn't frozen, as either hitting the return or escape keys on the keyboard confirm or cancel the dialog box, even though it can't be seen. I first noticed this issue when running some of my retouching actions...nothing appeared to be happening, and clicking anywhere just made the computer beep at me, as nothing was clickable. Then when pressing escape or return, the dialog would briefly flash in front of the canvas before either dissappearing or continuing, based on the keyboard command I gave. Issue appears to have begun after latest update.

16" Macbook Pro M1 Max - 64GB Unified Memory - 10 Core CPU - 32 Core GPU

External Monitor - DELL U3415W (issue occurs whether or not PS is displaying on external or built-in monitor)

Wacom Intuos Pro Medium (issue occurs whether or not tablet is connected)

Mac OS (12.3.1),

PS updated 4 days ago to 23.3.0 via CC app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do any of you with this issue have Enable Full Keyboard Access checked in Apple>System Preferences>Accessibilty>Keyboard>Navigation and if so, does unchecking it make any difference?

The system i'm using for this post and reference to the above setting is macOS Monterey 12.3.1 on a Mac Sudio with an M1 Processor.

key.png

Votes

Translate

Translate