• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Export As does not support Actions or scripting

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to record an action so that I can automate Export As dialogue box. What I want to do is to record an action which will save one image in three formats via the Export As dialogue box and the action should remember the settings i input for each dimension. Previously Save for Web did this, but now you are calling it legacy so i expect Export As to be accessible same way via actions as Save for Web was. Thank you.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 114 Replies 114
114 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. From the research I've done this morning it seems that there is no way to use Export As in an Action.

Is this correct?

And if so does Adobe have any plans to fix it? Seems like a pretty big hole in functionality.

Thanks,

-Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not possible to record step with Export As. Use legacy Save for Web instead. You can add your voice here Photoshop CC 2015: Export As does not support Actions and does not react to them | Photoshop Family ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use Save as copy command and Image size to prepare some different sizes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the confirmation and the tips, folks! What a very strange thing for them to leave out of Actions for several years. And yes, I had to use Save for Web, which works, though it would be good to be able to use the more current feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still want this fixed please Adobe 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am trying to create an action to open an EPS and then save the file in PNG format.  I press record and the OPEN action records then ...

• I go to File >Export >Quick Export as PNG .....  and when the file is saved no action is recorded?
  • If I go to File>Save As> select JPG ....  this action gets recorded.
  • If I go to File>Export As> (I fill in everything that I want...) and select Export...  No action is recorded.  
  • If I go to File > Export > Save for Web > Fill in what I want...  this action gets recorded.

When I run and specify the source and destination folders the files are opened and closed but nothing is saved????   Help  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you have discovered, Adobe does not yet support the "new" Export options within actions (or scripts), so you need to stick with using Save As or Export > Save for Web (Legacy).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is to use Save As -> Jpeg. You get all the same options and they all record into the action.

Of course it would be better for Adobe to add recording of the Export As fuction, utterly dumb that it does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a TERRIBLE problem that Export As is not Actionable. Please prioritize and fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I add my loud voice to getting this fixed and implemented. 

Now, I have to do this the manual, tedious and stupid way -- without Actions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add a "save as" to your action, it works the same as long as you convert the image to 8 bit first (both those commands can be recorded into your action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to change and save hundreds of images, so I have made an action to do everything except it wont record the final step - to export as a low res jpeg.  What is the point of actions if there is no way to save your work?

Is there some sort of work around for this major missing feature?  I.e. any way to automate the final saving of the modified file as a jpeg with 70% quality and 250x250 res etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see this as a fault of actions, they are have been around since Photoshop v4. I see it as a design issue with the "new" Export As/Quick Export options that were introduced as a modern alternative to the legacy Export Save for Web engine that is based on the old ImageReady engine. Export As/Quick Export are also unavailable to scripting. The "new" export settings don't support animated GIF files and are missing many other features as found in the old Save for Web. The "new" export engine is great with Generator and Image Assets though... Horses for courses!

You have to either use Save As or Save for Web... Or use a script such as Image Processor or Image Processor Pro which handles the file format options and saving while using the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just reading how export as gave better results than save for web, so thought I'd update my 10 year old export actions to find that not only does is not work but that it hasn't for 5 years.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, it's now 5 years later and we still can't put Export As in an action... /sadface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any update on if or when this will be added to Photoshop? I have just tried to export my layers to 1000x1000 canvas size using Export As and create and action but noticed it doesn't work!

I also read through these comments and many people suggested using Image Processor Pro but that doesn't allow me to resize the images to a 1:1 ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. My experience of Export is that it is never saved in the action list (like everything else is and should be), just ignored while other actions are progressively added to the list when recording. Save as is not an alternative option to use, as it creates a lot of dialog boxes that freeze everything while playing the action, ruining the whole automation process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing this ability was an obvious error on Adobe's part, but also obvious after 5 years is that they have no intention of fixing their error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Default Actions" are the only set available by default (duh) and they are almost useless, to me at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having two problems:

1.  I wanted to wite an Action using Export As.  It is not being recorded in the Action.. The Action is:

a.  Flatten Image

b.  Fit Image 

c. Export As 

d.  Close without saving.

As shown in the screenshot below, the last Action in the list (selected) shows the "Export As" step I recorded does not show up, and the file is not saved in the destination folder.  

2.  As a workaround I tried to export the image using Save for Web (Legacy), but first without writing an Action.  I find that this is resulting in an image which is always 8192 px wide for any image I choose, despite resizing the image using Fit Image with different values.  See 2nd screenshot.  Why is this happening?  Thanks for your help in advance. 

bartonlew_0-1634510766597.png

bartonlew_4-1634511338097.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not reproduce this problem with latest Photoshop on Win 10. Can you try with Preference reset? Save any unsaved action and preset before reseting prefs.

Update: it seems @D Fosse is right. On your screenshot original image dimensions are 12401 x 8700px what is large for Save for Web. Try value below 8000px in Fit Image and test again. Do you always use huge images when testing with Fit Image? If your intend is print then use Save a Copy because all web based exports in Photoshop are limited to certain number of pixels. If you are trying to use 12000px on web then think one more time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Save As, or Save A Copy.

8192 pixels is the size limit in Save for Web. Export and Save for Web are intended for making small simple images for web/screen/mobile devices. They are not designed to handle these big file sizes.

The inability to action Export is a real problem, however, and one that has been raised many times. It is my understanding that the whole Export module is currently rewritten and expanded, so hopefully this and other shortcomings are soon history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can record 'Quick export' if you previously tick 'Export files to an assets folder next to the current document' of 'Quick Export Location' and 'Use legacy "Export as"' of 'Options' in 'Export' 'Preferences'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export As doesn't support actions, yet. Add your vote here: Export As does not support Actions or scripting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know about this option, thanks.  However, it appears that it saves a file to its own folder.  If you are writing an Action to perform on many files and want them all in one folder, I don't think it works.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see a workaround.  

Votes

Translate

Translate