• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Export As does not support Actions or scripting

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to record an action so that I can automate Export As dialogue box. What I want to do is to record an action which will save one image in three formats via the Export As dialogue box and the action should remember the settings i input for each dimension. Previously Save for Web did this, but now you are calling it legacy so i expect Export As to be accessible same way via actions as Save for Web was. Thank you.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 114 Replies 114
114 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It saves them to a folder with '-assets' suffix, located next to file of open document. If that has no path yet then to the folder created on desktop. To get rid of the '-assets' suffix (before you launch Photoshop) change appropriate lines of codes in filemanager.js you find at end of:

'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Required\Plug-ins\Generator\assets.generate\libto:

if (this._config.hasOwnProperty("base-directory")) {
            basePath = path.resolve(this._config["base-directory"], documentName/* + "-assets"*/);
        } else if (documentDirectory) {
            basePath = path.resolve(documentDirectory, documentName/* + "-assets"*/);
        } else {
            basePath = null;
        }

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export As doesn't support actions, yet. Add your vote here: Export As does not support Actions or scripting

By @J453

some information is here How do I quickly export a layer as a png file in Photoshop with extendscript

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's where from I took my tip (Oct 18, 2021) for the user (after I learnt it from you) 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How very "Adobe" of Adobe that nearly 2 years later this critical bug still exists!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait. You can't record "Export As" as a custom action? Why not? How is this still a problem 6 years later...

You also can't batch "Quick Export" 

There's a section on the left hand side of "Export As" that implies you could do multiple images simultaenously. But no such luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh you can still use "Save For Web" but it's incredibly slow...

You can also set your quick export option, assign a hotkey, and go through things pretty quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait. You can't record "Export As" as a custom action? Why not? How is this still a problem 6 years later...

You also can't batch "Quick Export" 

There's a section on the left hand side of "Export As" that implies you could do multiple images simultaenously. But no such luck. 

By @Leonavr

Adobe know that users wish to record Export As into an action or use it via scripting. It's a work in progress. 😐

You need to select multiple layers to Export As with multiple images. For a single layer image with 3 different sizes, you would need to dupe the layer twice, select all 3 layers and right-click Export As in the layers panel (not from the File menu, it's contextually dependent). Illustrated in this topic:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/export-as-how-do-you-define-exact-pix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember when Save for Web became a Legacy tool? That was in... 2015? Seems a pretty basic feature to be trying to figure it out for 7 years. After Effects can do all of these things. Another work around? Flatten your Photoshop files (annoying, but you can automate that - you need to do this because not all FX exchange between the two programs), bring all your PSDs into After Effects, create a comp for every photoshop file (one click), use RD comp setter to change the duration to 1 frame (one click after options set), change your default export settings to whatever image type you want (no vectors though, sorry), change your export path, select all your comps, add to render queue, hit go and watch your renders go faster than Bridge's Image Processor or "Export To" to "Export As" or Dr. Brown's OG Image Processor Pro. And again, Quick Export can do this to some degree, too. You just need to manually export each image. There are a lot of ways to achieve a more professional jack knife for exporting and it's pretty wild how far off Photoshop is right now... 

When I started using Dr. Brown's stuff in the OOs (late 90s maybe!?), I always assumed that Adobe would eventually integrate the very obviously missing tool. Now Photoshop does a killer job exporting lighter weight PNG w/ alpha. Dr. Brown's IPP was last updated almost 10 years ago. It still works, but it's not as good with its compression (or efficiency). But it'll save you time elsewhere if you don't need to tweak compression, etc. Ditto for Save For Web (Legacy). I haven't tested how AE compares with their stock settings, but I imagine it's closer to Photoshop then it is to Dr. Brown. 

Also, the community for scripting and plug-ins in After Effects for utilitarian purposes is leagues ahead of Photoshop. You'd be able to do your resizes in a jiffy @Stephen_A_Marsh

Point being: really wild this isn't a thing. Maybe the most active (and aged) thread I've seen complaining about a piece of Adobe software that is broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any change you know what RD stands for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow "Export as" to be added to an action for quickly processing and exporting as file types other than jpeg or psd. 

Using poorly written scripts or plugins to solve for this is troublesome. It makes no sense to not be able to batch process in other file formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvoted, I too would like to use Export As in Actions or poorly written scripts to overcome limitations with Actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than 7 years now and Export As is still not Actionable, nor are there any presets for optimizing our workflows. 
Will EA ever leave beta? Will it ever reach feature parity with SFW?

Has Adobe given up on this tool? Have they given up on the professional community who need this tool for getting their jobs done? Is this what we should expect moving forward?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump, here it is with Photoshop 2024 released - but still no ability to use Export As in actions or scripting.

Even the most basic feature of actions "Insert Menu Item" which doesn't record any parameters, is still a no-go:

2023-10-02_13-47-23.png

Even this simple thing would be an improvement, let alone being able to record action or script parameters for more meaningful automation than simply running a menu command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think they just gave up on it, @Stephen_A_Marsh. There's no other possible reason. Even though the panel is being regularly updated, they don't seem to give a toot about anything workflow related. It's sad to see, but this is what i've come to expect these days. Deliver a MVP and then wait 10 years to make it useful. We're at year 8. Just a few years to go!

Votes

Translate

Translate