• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: File name and extension highlight when saving on macOS 10.15 Catalina

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. After last updates (Osx Catalina and CC 2020), when the save window appear, the focus, highlite, is on all the file name and extension instead only the filename. I suspect the issue is related to Catalina, but I ask if anyone has noticed the same thing. My working speed is affected and I would like to know if anyone has a solution to ensure that only the file name is highlighted (in save and export).
Thank you
Michele

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 161 Replies 161
161 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. When exporting images to web, the file extension is not appended to the filename even when preferences are set in Photoshop CC 2020 on Mac OS Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I've lost my layers on several projects and had to start over from scratch because it's retaining the .psd extension when I save as another format. I'm on Photoshop v. 21.0.1 that was supposed to have fixed this. Still broken Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same!!!  So annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. This bug is really slowing down my workflow. I keep having to add the file extension manually if I rename the file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving in the newest version of Photoshop, the program automatically selects the file extension. When you start typing the name of the file as intended, it deletes the extension. For example, if you wanted "untitled.jpg", it would just save as "untitled" unless you specifically highlighted it in the save menu. Many programs don't recognize files without the extension in the name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows? What version of the OS? I can't reproduce this on my Mac running MacOs Mojave. The extension is not selected in the 'Save as' dialog, only the 'Untitled' name is. So if I type another name, only 'Untitled' gets replaced and the extension remains.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Mac 10.15.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is what it looks like immediately upon opening, I have not manually selected anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 20.0.2 macOS 10.15.1
Save AS and ase Copy don't enabled, look at screen shoot. Sorry, french version !

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, this is clearly an error. When you first open save dialogue, only the name is highlighted, but once you start typing, it glitches, highlights the whole thing (including extension) and overwrites. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@keir Magoulas, non, car le fichier était déjà enregistré dans ce dossier et normalement quand je demande à PS de l'enregistrer sous pour un nouvel enregistrement, il doit automatiquement, si même dossier, me proposer Enregistrer en tant que copie et suffixer le nom du fichier avec le mot copie. Cette erreur est présente depuis PS 20.0.1

@keir Magoulas, no, because the file was already recorded in this file and normally when I ask PS to record it under for a new recording, he owes automatically, even if file, to offer me Record as copy and suffixer the name of the file with word copies. This error is present since PS 20.0.1

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same.  @adobe please fix this ASAP. it shouldn't be that hard to change and update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is really annoying!!! Does anybody know if it is all Photoshop users that are experincing this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a CC 2020 issue. I get the same issue in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. It's a huge frustration. Been around and around with Adobe customer service. They don't seem to think it's an issue. It slows my workflow down immensely when trying to quickly save documents with an addendum. It wasn't like this in CC 2019. And as far as I can tell none of the other applications in the OS behave this way (running OS Catalina 10.15.2 currently). Even the Finder selects just the file name, not file name + extension when selecting a file name to change manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different Photoshop "saving" behaviour under both OS's Mojave or Catalina.

Under Mojave, Photoshop 2020 : highlights the name only, not the extension. (see attachement) But when highlighting both the name+extension and saving, it doesn't add the extension automatically.

Under Catalina, Photoshop 2020: highlights both the name + extension. Not a problem when "saving" because it adds the extension automatically on the file after saving. But, when Exporting as Web, it doesn't add the extension type automatically on the name after saving (see attachement), this is a bug as we don't have the same "saving" name+extension behaviour Photoshop 2020 under Catalina. I don't have this problem in Illustrator nor InDesign, the file extension gets added automatically when entering the saved/name only, in both saving or exporting function.

Hope this helps fix the issue, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: I've deleted my original post since it was merged into this topic and basically addressed the same issue. Nice to know others are as annoyed with this bug as I am.

--MacPro running Catalina 10.15.2 and CC 2020: this bug occurs.
--MacBook Pro running Mojave and CC 2020: this bug does not occur.
--MacMini running Catalina 10.15.2 and CC 2019: this bug does not occur.

So, this annoyance seems to be some strange cocktail of Catalina and CC 2020 together. I'm guessing neither Apple nor Adobe will think it a significant enough issue to address, and either can easily point to the other as the cause. Also, with past experience,  I'm not sure Adobe appreciates the impedance to productivity and workflow a "little" bug like this creates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also very frustrated with this new behavior. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I save a file in an Adobe app, e.g. Photoshop 21.0.3, the file name including the extension is preselected. So if I type my desired file name and hit save, the extension is gone. In previous versions only the file name was selected, it behaved exactly as the macOS did. So I could quickly type a name, hit save and the extension would stay intact. 

I now have to use the mouse, manually select only the file name, etc. That just doesn't work in a production environment. This workaround is inconsistent with current macOS, it leaves room for errors and completely breaks the workflow. 

Note: this only happens while using Adobe apps, not in macOS Catalina. I've checked in Photoshop 21.0.3, Illustrator 24.0.3, InDesign 15.0.1, Dreamweaver 20.0 and Acrobat DC 2019.021.20061. 

While this issue may have occurred after the macOS Catalina update, the file saving process in Catalina itself works just fine. In Adobe it now works differently, which is a major concern. 

Is there a way (without turning off extensions) to restore this feature to its former system-like behaviour? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This drives me mad! How can we make Adobe understad how important this "little thing" is to us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also encounter these additional problems, as DaniDan comments on this post: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/save-for-web-bugs-on-macos-10-15-catalina
  1. Not allow to paste on file name
  2. Double 'Replace' prompt on every save
  3. Must enter extension manually

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh good, i'm not alone! This has been driving me mad for about a year now. I just made a post about it, but found this. Does adobe Dev monitor this board at all? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! This just started happening over the last few updates to photoshop.

The window that appears letting you name your file, by default it highlights the file extension as well as the file name text, so instead of being able to just name the file and hit save you have to manually highlight just the text area and deselect the extension. This adds a lot of time to my workflow as I use this often. And if you forget to do this and just name it, then it saves a file with no extension and you have to go add it manually.

Also, its already been mentioned here, but not being able to paste text into that same window when naming your file costs a lot of time when added up and works against people saving files for the web, especially when naming long files for SEO. I just saw a thread on here suggesting to hit enter/return before pasting, but i tried and this does not work. 

I finally took the time to come write this as it has been driving me crazy for a while now. Hopefully this channel is monitored by the dev team? A fix would be awesome! it used to not do this, for like the last 15 years. Thanks for all the awesome tools! Everything else is wonderful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Forum is the official Channel for Photoshop Bug Reports and Feature Requests – it is being monitored. 

That is no guarantee that an Adobe employee will chime in or that reported bugs will be fixed in a specific timeframe. 
Some bugs may actually never be fixed especially if they don’t affect a lot of users a lot of the time ... resources are limited even for a team like the one working on Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the OS Catalina update, in Save for Web, when renaming the file the extension no longer gets attached to the file name. This is necessary to open the file in another program or to upload to Wordpress. Now it requires me several extra clicks to include it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate