• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Healing and Spot Healing Brush Lag

Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In most recent 2018 update, healing and spot healing brush have become much less responsive, sometimes taking multiple seconds after completion of stroke to affect the image.

Late 2016 Macbook, up to date OS and Software

I've done the regular things like turning off OpenCL and changing other performance options... no change.
GIF framerate is sped up 2x 

RackMultipart2017101816638abxo-e6dcc86c-5f0a-49df-839e-84a8dc0a1a54-349345759.gifRackMultipart2017101816638abxo-e6dcc86c-5f0a-49df-839e-84a8dc0a1a54-349345759.gif

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017
This should be resolved in the 19.0.1 update released last night. Please update Photoshop using the Creative Cloud desktop app, and let us know how it feels!

Regards
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 282 Replies 282
282 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue also. Tried everything, several PS performance settings, maintenance routines on my Mac, deleting caches....all of it after a few minutes working, the healing brush starts lagging again. Will this be fixed with a patch or should I go back to previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you turn smoothing down to 0%? I didn't turn "off" smoothing, I just dragged the slider to zero in the tool bar and everything is working properly now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The line is easy to remove. Go Preferences > Cursors > then uncheck Show Brush Leash Wile Smoothing.

FYI I had to call about this too as it was making me bananas, I couldn't clearly see the skin I was dodging with that trailing hot pink line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working with this stupid lag issue all weekend as I have major retouching deadlines,

I've learned that resetting tool preferences as suggested by the Adobe Tech Support is a waste of time. You just have to RESTART Photoshop. Don't lose your settings anymore just restart.

The best thing to do is use the healing brush first on anything and everything you need it for. Once you switch through a few other tools it will develop the lag. The only way to fix this is to save your work and restart photoshop. 

I think we should all go Tweet about it, it's the fastest way to get a response from Adobe, I know from past experience...

Tweet your brush lag complaints @AdobeCare and they will respond - quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the smoothing solve above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you're on deadline and the lag is interfering that much, why not use CC2017 until they fix??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those still seeing the issue, please go to the Brush Settings panel and disable Brush Smoothing (uncheck the box).  Then quit and restart PS.  Does the problem still occur after re-launching?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, I just didn't. I just needed to keep going and a few restarts here and there were manageable for the time, but not forever. Hopefully Adobe corrects this quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you note the other thread about brush smoothing, a poster uncovered that brush Smoothing doesn't hold through a relaunch. So that cannot work. The second you use another tool, the lag will start to return because in the Brush Settings panel, Smoothing is once again enabled. It ignores the LOCK icon.

I've only had success when turning off Smoothing and sticking to that session. Then it stays off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have to uncheck smoothing, I just have to turn it down to zero (in the top panel), and it stays that way between relaunches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

Discovered another brush performance hit in the new 2018 that you may want to test out if you're having these issues, brush "resizing " is much more laggy and smoothing settings do not affect this. I've created a new post for this at the link below, it would be helpful to get some me-too's on it:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/brush-resizing-lag-in-new-2018-update?rfm=1&a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that thread got buried quickly.
PS 2018: Smoothing keeps getting re-enabled despite being disabled and locked in Brush & Tool Preset...

By the way, fresh install of CC on a fresh install of the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that a bit too much trouble to ask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrible bug for the 19th Photoshop release. You should do some proper beta testing before you release a new major version Adobe... Anyways, disable smoothing completely with the checkmark from the 'Brush Settings' panel works for me, although sometimes it enables itself again after restart. Using the patch tool is the best alternative for me as I use the stamp tool with a low opacity for other purposes.

If you do very intensive retouching, like me, just revert your Photoshop to v18. Install it from the CC app. There are not to many new useful features anyway  besides the smoothing, which is buggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bragi,
We found a temporary solution and they are working on patching it.... I'm not sure how they didn't catch this one, but bugs happen. You don't have to use the solution if you don't want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't the solution guys, its posted further down. Slide the smoothing slider down to 0%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is good news 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window > Brush Settings and then uncheck the box below.

Also be advised that there is a known issue with smoothing reselecting every time you open a new session. We are looking into this but in the meanwhile it's something to be aware of.

Bottom line: Smoothing has to be turned off with each launch.

RackMultipart201710243744h2iqd-be633c26-bdc3-438a-b0b1-72235758324f-1879950983.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been seeing this also.  PS 2018 is full of bugs and is unusable.  In addition to this problem, I've been seeing severe issues with rendering Masks depending on the level of zoom.  The ALT key is broken and this means any and all shortcuts that rely on it are useless.  I couldn't revert back to PS 2017 fast enough.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At present, smoothing must be disabled at the start of each new Photoshop session. We are aware of the problem and our engineers are looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the legacy healing tool or the one which has Diffusion options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue with Smoothing not carrying over is working as intended? Brush presets generally revert back to their saved state when you make a change and then restart the app. To make the smooth option stick, you'd need to create a new brush with that option toggled off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. In fact, I've turned OFF Shape Dynamics, locking it, for the default round brushes before and had them stay off, so if they don't revert, no reason Smoothing should. But it does—this after a restart:

RackMultipart201710249247116cl-071225e3-43c9-4086-a454-debba9074745-986496299.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The spot healing brush is VERY slow in PS CC2018.
The patch tool is also sluggish.

These are both instant on CC2017

Using an iMac 2017 with 64GB ram. issues on large and small files.

Votes

Translate

Translate