• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lighting Effects does not work directly after upgrade macOS and Windows

Enthusiast ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop: Lighting Effects does not work  directly after upgrade  in PS 21.0. macOS and Windows

Further to the last updating of PS 21.0.0, this filter does not work any more.
None of the allowing cursors of it was changed not function, it is a huge decline since PS 20.x where he worked very well on pictures 8 as well direct bits as in smartobject!

Workarund :

Priorities, performances, it is necessary to check legacy Priorities, to restart PS, to test the filter, then they will be able to come back in priority by default which is this shot hut, they restart PS and my time, to me this works now correctly.

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
46 Comments
Participant ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David i'm sure you know by now but update to the latest version.  it actually works.  i've even tried to break it although didn't try that hard.  regardless it works 🙂 Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.1.1 20200312.r.121 2020/03/12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you let me know if things improved for you with the 21.1.1 update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my iMac with the latest Photoshop CC the lighting effects do not work. Any ideas when Adobe will fix this. We pay for this service month by month. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on an iMac with the latest Photoshop CC but my lighting effects do not work. We pay for this thing month after month. When might we expect a fix? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Here, with mac os 11.4  PS CC 21 version 22.4.1 and same problem with Windows 10 Pro PS CC21 version 22.4.1.

Why should we pay monthly for something Adobe is unable to fix ?

Would you like a class action ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why this is tagged as "Solved". I'm using PS CC v22.4.2 (latest version as of today) and Win10, and Lighting effects does not work - sometimes even gives some kind of error about the GPU and not having enough VRAM (I have 6 GB on my graphics card). So, something bad must be going on with this filter.

Anyway, if memory serves me right, it's been years since this filter has been trouble free. I checked it today just because someone asked me (a friend on a mac who couldn't get the filter to work and wanted me to check if it worked for me), and I saw that it's still flawed, even on Windows. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here. maybe time to really solve this adobe team !!

photoshop 22.4.2 / win 10 20h2 / 32 GB ram / rtx 3080 (with up to date driver)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am tearing my hair out because the functionality of lighting effects has been complete rendered useless after my last update (or recently at least). I can open lighting effects but I get only a preview of a default light placed at the centre of the scene with no capacity to move it and the preview doesn't update if I select a different preset. In short, the preview is not functioning whatsoever. I tried resetting preferences after holding down the option key and clicking on reset did nothing. I have now lost all of my preferences but it did nothing to resolve this horrible bug that is depriving me of a tool that I have used for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't get lighting effects to work on my end either still.  It's like it goes ahead and just force applies a default with no way to change or adjust.   Resetting preferences does nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lighting effects are absolute crap now.  And, it will not show the guide lines so I can move, rotate, or adjust the spot light!  What is going on?!!!  PLEASE FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS 11.3.1, AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT, Photoshop version 22.4.3

Lighting effects don't work properly. I have spent 5 hours trying to fix it based on suggestions in this thread, nothing works. Please fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this issue is still causing bloodshed after two years! I still can't use lighting effects, even after deleting prefs, enabling "Deactivate Native Canvas" (that at least allowed me to see my image and the default lighting in the workspace), etc. Now, even with a brand new iMac, I can't see any controls for the lights (the ones that show the lighting outlines and drag nodes - I can finally see the controls on the right). Still completely useless for me - I haven't been able to use lighting effects for nearly three years on multiple machines. I'd love it if Adobe would concentrate on fixing PS's many, many bugs and put aside new features for a while. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@richard_king_8cuefwi6i1skx  Doesn't work for me, even with a brand new M1 iMac. None of the versions for the last few years have worked - and I've tried on multiple machines. So disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@richard_king_8cuefwi6i1skx This also doesn't work for me. Show Transform Controls is unchecked by default, and I never have it on. Man, I'm furious at Adobe for not fixing the many and massive bugs in PS and instead putting all of their resources into new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry Have you guys been able to get this to work for anyone? I just went out and grabbed a new M1 24" iMac because I couldn't get several functions in PS to work with my six year old 27" iMac ... and, boy, do I ever feel stupid. Because lighting effects *still* won't work on a brand new iMac. I've tried all of the suggestions above and only succeeded in seeing the image in my LE workspace instead of solid black or white. No lighting controls, so I can't drag lights around or expand their diameter, etc. I give up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen Chappell

Totally agree!

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve just really begun in the photoshop/Adobe world and am very disappointed with not being able to use the render lighting effects.  No workarounds that I have read in these posts dating back well over a year have worked.  Has there been new developments since this last post that I have missed.  I can currently see a preview of my render effects but it does not take to the actual image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, PS 22.5 was released, and this link is part of the release notes: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

Part of the linked page says this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
What specific features will be affected as part of this transition? 

At the heart of this transition is the removal of the core 3D engine within Photoshop, which results in the removal of the following features:

• All interactions in the 3D workspace

• 3D printing

• Normal Map and Bump Map filters (including smart objects with those filters applied)

• Lighting Effects

• Any/all extrusions, including text extrusions

• Spherical Panorama editing and support

• Import/Export of all 3D formats

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, it looks like Lighting Effects is going away (as well as the whole 3D feature set, of course)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@carlos_oliveras For me that means the end of Photoshop. There are enough (cheaper) alternatives. Without 3D, PS has become dead and useless to me. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*hudsonmeadors , Lighting Effects is perhaps the most used 3D feature that is unfortunately part of the soon-to-be deprecated 3D features. We are looking at ways to bring back that particular function, since it's usefulness goes well beyond strictly 3D things.

The rendering issue that you are seeing is actually affecting all 3D features; some users have been able to go into Preferences > Technology Preview > Deactivate Native Canvas (then restart), and it has popped back to life, but I'm not 100% sure that option will be around for long. 

Things related to 3D were more stable back in 22.2, which you can install from the CC Desktop app (click the 3 dots and go to 'other versions', as described here: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html#:~:text=Scrolldowntothe....)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@mark_dahm
    YOU ARE AMAZING!!  I DID THIS (Preferences>Technology Preview> Deactivate Native Canvas)
    IT TOTALLY WORKED!!!!  THANK YOU!!!  Now I need to remember not to update when they take everything away!

THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate