• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Liquify Tool Crashes with Assertion Failed! error on all Windows systems

Engaged ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Liquify Tool is used between 475-500 times within the same Photoshop CC 2020 session it gives an Assertion Failed! error and crashes Photoshop.  This is very repeatable and happens on every Windows system in my testing.  I originally reported this back in version 21.2.2.  It is still happening in version 21.2.4.  I never received any reply to the prior post so not sure if anyone from Adobe saw it.

It is easy to recreate this.  Just running a 1 step action with Liquify in a batch process will always crash Photoshop with this error from 475-500 images. This only happens in CC 2020 but not CC 2019.

Image is not available

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.  

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

We are working on the fix.

@Damon D Bell since you are on PreRelease you may get a chance to put it thru it's paces as well before it goes public. Watch for an email as I will update the ticket you filed when it is ready to test

Votes

Translate

Translate
51 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Damon, I'm not seeing a crash log submitted. Does Photoshop actually crash out? or does it freeze or get stuck in a loop and need to be force quit? 

How to submit a crash log: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when you say used 475-500 times, do you mean invocations of the Liquify dialog? or number of actions/brush strokes within the filter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry 

Thanks for the reply.

It gives the message from the screenshot. When clicking abort or retry it just gets stuck. I have to use Task Manager to close Photoshop.  So I don't think it generates a crash report.

Between myself and a few other users I know, we have tested 7 or 8 PCs and all of them do the same thing.

Also for my 2017 iMac, the same test would freeze then entire computer at 250-300 images and require the system to be shut down.  Force quit wouldn't even shut it down.  I have to push the power off button to shut it down on my Mac. For the Mac, there was no error at all.  Just the computer freezing.  An interesting thing is that with the Mac, turning off the Auto Show Home screen setting in the preferences prevents it from happening.  I tried that on Windows but it didn't help.  I only have 1 Mac to test.  I had a couple of people I know run the same test and their Macs did not freeze. 

On Windows it appears to be a universal issues to all systems.  On Mac, the issue seems different and only affecting some systems.

I'm pretty sure that you can recreate the issue on a Windows system by setting up a 1 step action to run Liquify.  Then just batch process the action with more than 500 images.  For the action, just doing something simple like add +25 on the smile in Liquify should be all that is needed to recreate it.

Hope this info helps.  If you need any more information or need me to do any further testing then let me know.  This issue is really important for me so I can do whatever testing you need me to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry

Running the liquify tool itself 475-500 times within a given Photoshop session causes it.  That is only counting the Liquify steps and not counting anything in between the liquify steps.  I have some scripts that use it as part of the scripts.

For troubleshooting, the easiest way to reproduce it is with a 1 step action and batching the action on a folder of more than 500 images.  Here is a link to a video I made showing the issue happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyl6YfpHOBw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This is helpful. Let me see if we can reproduce it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information, damon_bell, we have reproduced the problem in-house and are looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, Thank you for filing this bug. We can reproduce it and we are a targeting a fix for the November release. In the meantime to get you back to a working state, a workaround is to limit the number of operations you are performing to under 400.

Please continue to report great bugs like this one to use in the future. Thanks so much. Really appreciate cleanly written reports like this one with repro steps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind 400 or so, Liquify is causing Photoshop cc 2020 to crash almost every time it is opened. I can't tell immediately tell you the exact version as I have just uninstalled everything Adobe associated and plan to reload, but it is the latest. I'm running Windows 10, recently loaded. Additionally, when opening Cloud there is often a message "taking long time to load, relaunch or restart computer", or similar wording. Bridge was giving a problem (with thumbnails being replaced by icons after the file was opened) but this appears to have righted itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*DaveAitch 
Is your computer giving the exact same Assertion Failed! error message that I posted?  If not then it may be a different issue.  In all the testing I have done on many different systems, the Assertion Failed! message happens from 450-500 images on every Windows system. I tested 7 or 8 systems and all did exactly the same thing.

If your system is doing something different than the Assertion Failed! error then it may be best to create a new post with better details regarding the error you are getting.  Your reply was pretty vague and didn't provide much detail about the actual error you are having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Sympa Thanks for the feedback.  I did a test and this is still occurring in the initial release of CC 2021.  You did mention November though, not October.  So is a fix planned for the 2nd release of CC 2201 in version 22.0.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be in Desktop 22.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same issue. I tried to minutely manipulate a 38 second clip in Photoshop 2021 as well as 2020 (version 21.2.5) and not only will the video not play after liquify is applied, I get the Assertion C++ failure every single time and it crashes PS entirely. I've been on with 4 tech support people and no one can figure out the issue. Has this been patched or resolved??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fixed in 21.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry

Thanks.  I just ran a batch of 1,200 images and verified that it is fixed 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

This issue is back in Photoshop 23.1.0. The issue was fixed from 21.1 - 23.0.2 but is now back again in 23.1.0.  It seems that whatever fix was implemented may have been rolled back to the prior state.

The issue is exactly the same. It is Windows only. It seems to affect all Windows systems. The error still seems to occur between 475 and 500 image ran through Face Aware Liquify within a given Photoshop session.

This is a critical issue for my company and my plugin users. I have 3 UXP plugins that use the face Aware Liquify tool in large volume batching. This issue is causing crashing for all of my plugin users who are running Windows with version 23.1.0.

I again verified that the issue is not specific to the plugins though. I repeated the same test I did last time by batching in an action without running any plugins. I recorded a 1 step action to do a Face Aware Liquify. When the action is ran through the Photoshop Image Processor Script, it will give the same exact error after around 475-500 images. So this isolates the issue to the liquify tool itself.

When the error occurs, it locks up Photoshop so there is no way to do a crash report.  Photoshop has to be quit through Task Manager.

Hopefully, someone will know how to fix this since it was already fixed once back in December, 2020. Can you please let me know that someone sees this post so I know it is being worked on? Again, this issue is super critical for my plugin users. Many of the users run large batches of image with more than 500 images per batch and for those people this is causing Photoshop to crash every time.

error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction, it worked fine from 22.1 (not 21.1) through 23.0.2, but is now broken again in 23.1.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am seeing this running PS 23.1.0. Adobe, any chnace this can be resolved quickly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. This same issue is happening again in PS 23.1.0  I truly appreciate the help of Adobe. Thanks in advance for looking in to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can report that this has happened to me as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are a sports photography company that offers composite photography services. We use an automation on Photoshop to process the photos. Currently the new version (23.0.2) with its limitation of 450-475 photos is causing us serious problems in our composite editing process (we process batches of 3000 - 4000 photos).

In this context, would it be possible to fix the problem with liquify tool because we are in high season and this bug really affects our delivery times (I saw November in the answers and we find it unacceptable to have to live this for 10 months).

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter and for your promptness in offering us a quick solution,

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing this again as well on my systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can report seeing this issue again also. As sports photographers, we do a lot of batch processing and compositing. Thank you for bringing this to the forefront again and looking into a solution for us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are looking into it...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for filing the detailed bug @Damon D Bell 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I did a mistake on the version, the pronlem is under 23.1.0. Sorry for this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate