• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC (11.0.1) Edit in PS2022 fails because Photoshop could not be launched - Error Message

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating my subscription to Adobe for Photographers (Photoshop & Lightroom) I am having an issue when launching Photoshop 2022 from Lightroom v11.

If I right click on the image I'm working on in Lightroom and select 'Edit in Photoshop 2022' I am asked whether or not I want to edit a copy or the original (as I would expect). 

If I select "Edit Original" everything works to plan, the image opens in Potoshop and I can proceed.

However:

If I select either "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments" or "Edit a Copy" I have an issue.
I can see the copy being created on the Film Strip at the bottom of the Lightroom screen, Photoshop starts up and stops at the launch screen but the image fails to open in photoshop.

If I wait for 2 or 3 minutes I recieve an error message in Lightroom: "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched"

If I then select 'OK' in the error message the image immediately opens in Photoshop and I can work away.

This morning an followup update to Photoshop 2022 (to Ver: 23.0.1) was installed and it made no difference.
This afternoon Camera Raw also had a followup update to Version 14.0.1 and it has made no difference.
The problem is still there.

Is this a bug or is there a some way I can fix the problem.

I'm using a Windows PC - Running Win 10 and it has 24gb of RAM

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Based upon customer reports, most issues have been reported fixed by either the remediation steps and/or the installation of Photoshop 23.1, released Monday, December 13, 2021. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Greetings all,

Update: Please install Photoshop 23.1, released on 12/13/2021 and let us know if we are still seeing the issue after updating Photoshop. 

Workaround:

To all those who may be experiencing this issue. Our investigations have found that, in some cases, GPU detection is causing this issue. 

A similar issue was resolved in this thread by following these instructions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-text-changes-do-not-update-windows/m-p/12519892#M598048

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 297 Replies 297
297 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I just want to let you know what worked for me.

Here I installed Lightroom CC using Windows Store and Photoshop 2022 using Adobe Cloud.

This way I had the same problem where I asked to open a photo in Photoshop and got an error.

I uninstalled Lightroom CC and reinstalled it using Adobe Cloud and now it works fine.

Best luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I know it is not exactly the same problem, but I just want to let you know what worked for me.

Here I installed Lightroom CC using Windows Store and Photoshop 2022 using Adobe Cloud.

This way I had the same problem where I asked to open a photo in Photoshop and got an error.

I uninstalled Lightroom CC and reinstalled it using Adobe Cloud and now it works fine.

Best luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. I am using Lightroom Classic and have intalled it and Photoshop using Adobe Creative Cloud. I have done upgrades this way for several years with few problems. It is the most recent upgrade that has stopped 'Edit in Photoshop' from working - though I note from the forums that the problem has been around in previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a very similar experience.
Except it only happens when I select "Edit a Copy" or "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments".
If I select "Edit Original" the file opens as expected in Photohop.
I also have just updated to Photoshop 2022 and Lightroom Classic 11.0.

This morning an update to Photoshop 2022 (to Ver: 23.0.1) was installed and it has mad no difference.
This afternoon Camera Raw was updated to Version 14.0.1 and it has made no difference.
The problem is still there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

both tiff and psd.
I have already updated to the latest version but nothing has changed.
when I launch the edit in photoshop it seems that LR does not prepare the file. PS opens but does not open the file. after 4/5 minutes the warning comes out and clicking ok opens the file in PS.
this only if I choose "edit with LR corrections". if I choose open the original file it opens it immediately in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the following, shut down your computers, then restart your computer.

Boot Photoshop and allow it to initialize if you have not done so since the upgrade to the new version.
That worked fore me when I did my upgrade.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Could you try resetting the preferences of Photosho and let us know how it goes? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

I've reset the preferences in Photoshop as you suggested and it has made no difference.
The problem still exists.

Regards

Billy..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DId anyone find a solution to this problem??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Is anyone else having issues with photoshop not opening the image when selecting "edit in photoshop" in lightroom? 

After selecting edit in photoshop, photoshop 2022 opens and the green loading bar appears on the lightroom taskbar but then the below pop up box appears. 

Is lightroom no longer compatible with the updated PS?

default3h5oa313ilnm_0-1636882426296.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact issue with the recent upgrades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the following steps in the exact order.

After each step check to see if PS will launch from Lightroom - do not do all five without checking between each step. 

Best steps to take in this order, when faced with this issue:

1. Verify Camera Raw is up to date 
  2. Reset Photoshop Preferences
  3.  Remove old installations of Photoshop
  4.  Reinstall Photoshop (Current)
  5.  Reset Lightroom Preferences
  6.  Reinstall Lightroom (Current)

If the above does not restore the expected edit in behavior, then you may need to use Adobe Cleaner Tool to tidy up your Adobe installations and reinstall from scratch. Use this as a last resort. 

Additionally you can follow the issue at the Photoshop Thread Here.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J'ai à nouveau essayer le mode opératoire. A part perdre mes préférences, ça n'a rien changé au comportement, j'ai toujours le massage d'erreurs après environs 1 minute : "Le fichier n'a pas été modifié, car Adobe photoshop 2022 n'a pas pu etre lancé".

Une fois cliqué sur le message, la photo s'ouvre dans Photoshop.

Idem sur .tiff que .psd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

При открывании фотошопа не грузит фото с лайтрума. И не дает редактировать фото в фотошопе из лайтрума. ошибка

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Now I don't even get the question of whether I want to edit a copy or the original. Photoshop opens, but without the Lightroom image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I'm also having this experience - intermittently...
Billy..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see above

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Yes my photos are not opening as layers in photoshop (ver 23.0.1) either and I just updated photoshop today.  Photoshop opens but nothing appears and then the message eventually appears in Lightroom Classic (ver 11).  Fingers crossed it gets sorted out soon.

Best wishes,

Jamel

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,

I have followed your steps above and still not working.  I have completely uninstalled and re-installed both lightroom an PS from cloud, rebooted the computer after installation and this  is as far as i get.  With lightroom open, i click on the "Edit in photoshop" and PS will attempt to open, here are the screenshots. After a couple of minutes, i get a failed message on lightroom.   

default3h5oa313ilnm_0-1636962138992.png

default3h5oa313ilnm_3-1636962320335.pngSits on this for at least a couple of minutes.

default3h5oa313ilnm_1-1636962157601.png

default3h5oa313ilnm_2-1636962237055.png

What do i do now? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible non plus d'ouvrir des images en tant que calques.

Pour ouvrir mes images dans PS, je passe par l'interface PS et je les ouvre une par une. C'est vraiment une perte de simplicité !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, fully up to date on versions, LrC will not Open as SmartObject in Photoshop, will only Edit in PS when clicking "with LR corrections" and then saves back to LrC as -edit or -edit-edit !

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above does not work.  I have done all the steps, i completetly uninstalled both LR and PS and still the same issue.  Adobe need to address the issue and fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When an image is selected to edit in Photoshop 2022, Photoshop is launched but then nothing happens and after about two minutes Lightroom Classic shows an error box (attached), when Okay is clicked the image appears in Photoshop.

Anyone else having this problem?

Regards, Graphicalman.

Votes

Translate

Translate