• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Missing font causes keyboard shortcuts to stop working

LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2013 Sep 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have witnessed the issue from 5.5 to CC on OSX.

Opening a .PSD that has a font being used that is not installed on the current system, entering a text box with the missing font (see image attached), pressing escape or cancel after the warning dialog about not having the font installed pops up renders the toolbox keyboard shortcuts unusable.

After that has happened, I can no longer press V to get to the move tool (or any shortcut to get to any of the tools). If you enter a text box that does have an installed font, press escape or cancel like before the keyboard shortcuts get restored.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014
This should be fixed in the 2014.2.2 update. Choose Help>Updates... to install.

Votes

Translate

Translate
10 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

The shortcuts should have NOTHING to do with a missing font message. It sounds like you have something wrong with your installation or machine. Let's take things apart one by one...

First, if you get this NEW message in Photoshop CC, it is warning you which fonts are missing. If you click Cancel, then the raster data will be used and there will be no apparent change. The problem is, you cannot edit the contents of the text layer. Logically, the only way you can change that text layer is to use a font that is available to your machine.

Now, it is possible that you did not realize you put yourself into a text-editing (modal) state when you clicked Ok. In such a case, pressing V for the Move tool will actually just get you a V on the text layer. And this is how the text layer is supposed to work.

If you're still having trouble with this, please let me know. It does not, however, sound like a bug.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue.
I'm using Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and Photoshop CC 14.0 (14.0 20130423.r.221 2013/04/23:23:00:00) x64.

When i open a document that contains a missing font. Then use the text selection tool to select a block of text with a missing font. The DIALOG BOX pops up saying (missing font....... Font substitution will occur. Continue? Cancel or OK) i select cancel and then lose all single key shortcuts.. ie move tool (v) fullscreen (f)..

I have found a workaround - by using cmd+alt+i to open the image size DIALOG Box, then cancel out of it. The shortcuts come back!!!

This is very much a re creatable bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just to add - no i didn't hit ok from the missing font dialog and enter text editing state. Otherwise the image size dialog shortcut wouldn't of worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Keith,

I haven't been able to reproduce this bug. Would you be available for a web-hosted screenshare to troubleshoot the issue?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. A screenshare would be difficult during the day (uk time). But i could possibly arrange an evening?

I've done some more testing as i wondered whether it had anything to do with the design files being originally generated in CS5 then re-saved in CC. But it hasn't.

I created a "clean" new file in CC, with only a single text layer (text box not single line text) filled it with a dozen or so lines of text set in the locally installed Google web font Sintony. Saved and closed the document. Disabled the font in font book. Reopened the saved file and went through the procedure posted above and single key shortcuts stopped working.

It's nothing to do with the google font either, as i originally discovered the bug with a foundry font barmeno.

I can send the PSD file if thats any help?

As another note, it's not machine specific either, as i recreated the bug with a new clean file on a different mac - however both are running the same OS and CC version number as above though.

Let me know how i can post you the psd file or if your tech support can do a uk evening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Keith,

Thanks for the detailed response. I really appreciate it! 8-)

Please email me the file. I'll try it here on the machines in my office and down in the lab. I'll follow up with an email to you directly.

I regularly help users all around the world, so no worries there. Your UK evening is my morning in California. I'm also notorious for working late or coming in early as needed.

I haven't heard anyone but the two of your with this problem, so I'm guessing that there is another variable involved. A screenshare is the best way to figure that out (note, all the other keyboard bugs reported in the last few weeks have been caused by another app...).

Thanks!
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2014 Oct 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also reproduce this bug. Based on some of the information in this post, I think I know what's actually going on. Even though a user cancels out font substitution, the type layer is placed in an editing mode, despite the lack of a bounding box or type cursor. Any further keyboard input is actually being entered into the text layer. Pressing escape, which normally exits from editing a text layer, does not appear to have any function in this pseudo-editing state.

I can reproduce this in the following environment using the following steps.

Photoshop 13.0.6
OS X 10.9.5
Photoshop file with a missing font text layer

• Click the text layer with a missing font using the type tool.

• In the Font Substitution prompt, click "Cancel"

• Type "test"

• Click the same text layer again with the type tool

• In the Font Substitution prompt, click "OK"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2014 Oct 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch! I think you're right...I can repro this on Mac (but not Windows).

I'll go ahead and log this.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the text tool and clicking on a text field that contains an uninstalled font, shows a modal that the font is missing. Clicking Cancel unselects the text field, but the keyboard focus is stolen, so that no keyboard shortcuts work anymore, until another text field is selected with an installed font. This has been a problem for years. Please fix it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This should be fixed in the 2014.2.2 update. Choose Help>Updates... to install.

Votes

Translate

Translate