• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's inexcusable that Adobe doesn't provide the necessary DLL so that Windows Explorer in Win7 x64 can display thumbnail images of PSD files. Much smaller companies do so for their proprietary image formats, and some of those programs are free. Shame on you, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of OS security issues, clearly third parties have been able to make this work in the Open dialog, albeit in a clumsy way. Bridge is a memory hog, and routinely crashes my system. It's slow and cumbersome.

I have found Lightroom to be a bit helpful, but again, clumsy in that running two applications when one would otherwise suffice is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 13, 2014 Dec 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem should be looked at by Adobe if so many of us are wanting it.  It is in their own Photoshop software and other vendors know how to do it so why can't Photoshop programmers just copy that?  In programming there are many ways to reach the same end and it doesn't have to be a violation of intellectual property.  Just choose to resolve the users' need and put a couple of people on it.  We should not have to pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^^They want you to use Bridge

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2015 Mar 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

web tasarım psd file thanks share karşıyaka epilasyon

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the past versions of photoshop CS 4 I am able to view the file from the open menu-just a small thumbnail, but its super helpful. All Photoshop files
all look the same blue Ps logo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2015 Mar 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rochelle, many months ago Adobe tried to justify its decision to cut the image preview function based on a perceived best-practices action siting that Microsoft was thinking of eliminating support for it in some future OS upgrades. That was a long, long, time ago and it hasn't happened and Adobe has had years of opportunity to make an update fix but despite myriad pleas from its customer base, refuses to this day to do so. Its excuses are rather self-righteous and Adobe seems exasperated that the issue won't go away. Those who are really keen to have previews back again have had to turn to third party software to fill that gap. Other software providers have no problem continuing on with previews, Adobe flatly refuses to consider it any more. Good luck....Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry that you perceive the situation in such a skewed way - but application developers have to work with the limitations of the OS vendors, even if those limitations are not always immediately obvious to the end user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Rob wrote a pretty concise rundown on the whole situation going on here for the past few years.
For evidence on whether Adobe wants to bother tackling the problem you only have to look at how this whole thread is marked "Not a problem".
Yet I find this a far bigger problem then anything- but that's just me! (And the 78 people participating in this thread).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Concise maybe, but not even remotely true.

This isn't a real problem - just something that would be nice to have. It is forced on us by OS requirements/limitations. And there are existing third party packages that can provide similar functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You see, Chris, you have only strengthened my appraisal of the situation. Your clients think it is a problem, sadly you don't. Your clients were happy with the previous version which was fully functional. I know of no other company that has dropped previews for the reason you outline. You and Adobe just wish the issue would die but we have to live and grit our teeth with your decision every day.I don't see the flaw in the argument if you consider the request to put it back in because it still would work. Since you are always sending us updates you can update the previews out again if there ever becomes a time when they conflict with a new OS. Where are we all wrong on this? Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Rob. It is a "real problem" to the clients, and dismissing it lightly doesn't really make it better. Which third party package would you suggest for us, Chris? I'd be happy to get it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wish to reiterate my initial frustration which I logged here 2-3 years ago. After all this time I suppose Adobe was hoping we'd 'get used to it', however I still find the lack of this feature a major hit to my daily productivity.

Chris, at some point you and your team need to listen to the plea's of your customers and bring this feature back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lost the previews on CS5, too. Probably was an update. Now running CS6 and still no previews

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 hasn't been updated in several years...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^^which is asinine. i hear ya, but it's a ridiculous stance that you can't use your OS's thumbnail viewer for common graphic formats.

that said, SageThumbs worked great, but now with Photoshop version 20141204.r.310 x64 it seems that Adobe may have changed the structure again. PSDs created with this version show only as blanks. I've opened a ticket with SageThumbs about the issue too.

thanks Adobe! i can no longer buy a copy of your software and sit on it for as long as i find it useful, but i have to pay monthly forever and now i have to install Bridge to view thumbnails.

Maybe i just go back to CS2 for free and cancel my CC account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: i just realized i must have set the "maximize compatibility" option to "never" at some point and not remembered i did so. enabling compatibility (always) generates the thumbs (or at least SageThumbs now shows them)

it might be fine, but i'm not looking to pay for something that should be free (or at least be paid for from either my OS or my monthly subscription to CC)

i'm hoping that SageThumbs just needs to do some tweaks and not that Adobe specifically is making thumbs unreadable outside of their app garden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please please please correct this! I use this all day with Illustrator and die because I have to open the file just to see what it is in Photoshop (please note that other then this I'm extremely happier with the software).

We need the preview!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Please bring back previews

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to SageThumbs options, select "Prefer image file embedded thumbnails" and set "Maximum size of image file" to 200 or 1000 MB. Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW!  Thank you very much!  I love using SageThumbs but a lot of my psds are large and wouldn't display while some would.  I never thought about file size but this fixed it just fine.  It really is the best workaround.  More folks should know about it.  Bridge is a memory hog and is sluggish but SageThumbs plugs right into windows explorer.  Thank you again for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Developers ignore

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's face Adobe just does not really care, they can use all the excuses and blame Microsoft and others all they want, but we as users have to get used to the fact that adobe no longer has any real developers with talent available to them.

It's like their new CS6 CC rental software there are really not any worthwhile improvements with the product. After my annual rental agreement for CC I will drop it and only used my perpetual licensed copies of CS5/CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same now with Mac, there are more issues with Photoshop, seems to get worse with every update, maybe it's time to look at open source apps like Gimp 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate