• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is this "OS Vendor"? I feel like on this thread and others like it multiple people have asked, and Adobe has said to contact the Vendor. Maybe this OS vendor doesn't really exist?
Adobe! Don't bend to their will! Whatever peon at Microsoft or wherever that requested this change probably don't even work there anymore- taking into account MS high rotation of employees! Have they raised gripes about Illustrator? If not- i wonder if they actually care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft and Apple are OS vendors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still haven't seen the particular documentation that is keeping you guys from having a preview in the open dialogue. We can't really contact our "OS Vendors" if you guys don't get more specific. We want to solve this problem. Help us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been asking for contact info (direct - not www.microsoft.com) since this whole debacle began.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge is terrible. It is awkard. It is slow to start, slow to use, and slows my computer down / crashes Photoshop on the regular. It is not a useful tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To run mini bridge,you still have to have full bridge running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shoot, even microsoft.com would be ok if we could figure out what particular "rules" to bring up...but this vagueness is making addressing the issue impossible and making it seem more like passing the buck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Sagethumbs. I've liked it pretty well. There is quite a bit of customization you can do with it. The first thing I did when I installed Sagethumbs was to change the default setting where it showed mini-previews of every PSD, EPS, etc as the thumbnail/list view, which I hated, cause it was so miniscule it was pretty much useless. I have so many different file formats of each file, it helps me more in list view to have icons for the file format, like a blue PSD icon for Photoshop files. Then when I click on the file once, I see the preview. Now, in CS6, in list view, you're pretty much screwed and won't be able to see that preview because Photoshop is still using Adobe's dialog box in CS6. If you make the move to CC and have Sagethumbs, you basically get the preview pane back, but more in the traditional Windows Explorer type way because they are using the Windows dialog box instead of Adobe's. If you just need a way to view the previews of those files (like I did) in CC, I would go with Sagethumbs. Easy enough to install, free, and not very intrusive.

Once again though, if you're using CS6, Adobe has made very VERY clear throughout this thread that they aren't going to do anything about the previews being unavailable and would rather just fix it in the new version and make people buy it. I've been on the subscription service through CS6 and on into CC, so it doesn't really affect me much moving to the new version and getting the features I needed, but I know it sucks for those people that bought the full version of CS6 and HAVE to move to the new subscription service to get those features that should have been fixed in CS6. But that's a discussion for another thread (for which there are many of those).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. You can make it better using third party codec software. But the OS vendors don't want us modifying the file open/save dialogs like that anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't read all of their developer documentation, and announcements for future OS requirements/restrictions, then you might not have seen all the changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe knew about this for quite some time, and this thread has been running for a few months now.
1. Adobe knew the problem existed, and knew that it would be fixed in the "CC" Adobe's rental software. But they chose to ignore the problem. They pushed CS6 and a lot of us bought into it, and purchased a not quite fully functional piece of software, and blame the vendors Apple and Microsoft.

2. Since (personally) I feel somewhat betrayed by Adobe, I will maintain my current CS6 and CS5 perpetual licenses and say it will be a cold day when I rent software from any company. If software and content is maintained in the cloud, I will not hold my breath that it will be maintained as securely as it should be. Thirty plus years in Data Centers and Network centers does not give me the warm fuzzies to let someone else protect my data.

3. Somewhere down the line, I am sure that Adobe will also move LightRoom to a rental venue, it's only logical, so they can reap more profit.

4. The blame will go on, Adobe will blame vendors, vendors will blame Adobe and we the customer will get screwed.

5. None of the aforementioned software giants will point a finger at a specific group that caused this whole mess with the CS6 image preview.

I started with CS3, upgraded to CS4 then CS5 and lastly CS6, but if Adobe thinks that I will take a introductory single App for $9.99 ($120) annual fee, only to go up to
maybe $19.99 the following year, followed by $29.99 the next year, someone somewhere in the Adobe food chain is smoking some mighty weird stuff.

Have a safe weekend, and good night!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) it isn't a problem, just a change forced by your OS vendor. And nothing about this changed in CC. Microsoft and Apple dictate how we can use their OS, and we have to follow their rules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cris Cox,

Are you the only person at Adobe handling this customer service issue? Adobe has not even set up a PR team to handle the complaints?

The first step would have been to announce that the upgrade would have the preview issue and not letting customers discover it on their own.

Who's in charge of this debacle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m with you on this. Photoshop people please fix this. I really need this tool. I’m an architectural designer and use Photoshop to do renderings. I make a bunch of different versions to show the client before we even start making construction drawings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, the answer will be to use Bridge. Not a great solution, but apparently all we have left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don't get is why Open and Save for Web use entirely different dialog boxes. I would think Windows would have the same handling requirements for both uses of the File Explorer. If you can work around it for saving and still use the old box, why not for Opening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used sagethumbs for a minute...not really that great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is clearly a problem...just not a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded CS 6 the other day and.....no thumbnails in Open dialogue box????? What? I know I'm late to the party, but I still have CS 5, and won't uninstall that now. And these will be my last Photoshop products. No CC for me. I've used Photoshop for over 15 years but leaving out something so important is just about it for me. Makes no sense and can't believe it would have presented Adobe with some great hassle to include something so basic and useful. What's happening, Adobe? Don't care about us any more? Getting greedy with CC? So disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a PS user since PS4 I am generally a pretty supportive fan. But the elimination of the Open>(image preview) in CS6 is a very poor move on Adobe's part. I've read about the MS decision to eliminate some code, etc. but using that as an excuse to eliminate a very useful function seems an appalling cop-out. Adobe has all the brains needed to incorporate that feature privately but has very much let its customers down on this one. Please supply us with a patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When 2 OS vendors say that you won't be able to do that anymore, we have to listen. It's not an excuse, it's us preparing for future OS releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tend to agree with rob. Understandably, the OS vendors drive the car. But with the capability and raw coding power at Adobe, one would think a simple preview of a native PSD file wouldn't be so hard to accomplish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If any of you can dig up a piece of software called MysticThumbs, you'll be able to eliminate this problem with all Adobe products in its entirety. Specifically, look for version 1.98 or the file MysticThumbs198_x64.msi. Why this version? It's the last free and complete version of this previewing software. It shows previews for Adobe files both within windows explorer and Adobe products. It just works and doesn't interfere with the user. You won't even notice it exists on your machine. And here I am talking about a piece of software that some amateur programming junkie was able to implement years ago! Adobe can't get a preview working? What a load of crap. Of course they could get it working. There is a ton of software on the market that has implemented similar preview functions. I very much doubt it's even a major programming hurdle. This is simply one of those things that happens when super companies have too many cooks in the kitchen. No single employee could even give a straight or legitimate answer on the subject because they honestly don't know the answer as individuals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still pretty frustrated and incensed by this. I really doubt there isn't a single (non-third-party, because I've tried the third party solutions and they are woefully inadequate) workaround for this pretty huge hole in one the most basic functions of this program.

Votes

Translate

Translate