• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
Contributor ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, you guys convinced me. FPV Codec Pack it is ($15)

I can't help but feel Adobe somehow dropped the ball here, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it's horses for courses.  Adobe was never able to make their codec work as well as FPV's does.

Honestly I don't know why they don't offer the 3rd party companies some $$$ to buy their intellectual property or even just license it.  Being able to make the computer more pictoral (by displaying thumbnails and previews for virtually all file types) IS something that provides a lot of value.

Putting my businessman's hat on...

If a codec pack were to cost Adobe, say, $10 a copy, and assuming a Photoshop perpetual license upgrade costs $200 (round numbers), Adobe would have to see, what, 5% more sales to cover that cost, right?  Would one in twenty more people buy Photoshop if it provided this functionality?  Would existing customers be 5% more happy (and thus reduce support cost)?

Before you answer that 5% seems like kind of a big number, consider the very long threads here, at Photoshop.com, and other places where people have complained about the loss of thumbnail previews in the File - Open dialog box.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To say nothing of the fact that we USED TO be able to view PSD thumbnails in Windows just by installing Photoshop.

So this doesn't even feel like value added, it feels like value lost. I'm simply re-establishing the value lost by giving my money to a 3rd party company.

It all seems so absurd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think of it not so much as having to pay for something that Adobe once provided as gaining the ability to see thumbnails and previews for Raw files, which Adobe never provided (except in Bridge - I guess I'm not alone in not wanting to run Bridge).

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a cool app. To bad Microsft decided to make it harder to find the codecs. Anyway, the system is Approx. a year old. Its possible another app installed the codec with it.

OK, downloaded and ran it. The only thing I can think of which I totally forgot about was the Canon Raw codec. Other than that just Microsoft is listed.

Ah, jeesh I overlooked it, the psd codec is from Microft apparently it came on my system. It's dated 2010 which would explain why 2012 files don't display, but the 2007 should have. Must be behind a version when they created it.

Anyway, here is the screen grabs...

codec1.png

codec2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting.  Now you mention it, I think Microsoft made a codec for PSD that came as part of a package (I forget the name); perhaps your PC maker included that package.

If you save a PSD file right now with Maximize Compatibility set, do you see a thumbnail?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please bring back the Thumbnail Preview in the 'Open file' dialog. It's difficult to find correct file to open since PSD files do not display thumbnails in Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No tried it. but Im having other issues, if you recall, I was getting the blue screen that I thought was the video card driver. Come to find out it was the new virtual wifi port that Microsoft sneekedly added to my system. Making sure its disabled stops the blue-screen. But now I think I have hard drive issues, I am finding 32 bit drivers missing. BTW thanks for the head up on that app, that really helped point me in the somewhat right direction on figuring out my lock ups. But each time I think I have an CS6 app open at the time, I can't recall for each time, but it is close.

So a virus, a bad sector or and adobe bug. Take your pick and spin the wheel, wheeee....

Anyway, I am taking time away from the OP, so Next week I may start a new thread depending on what I find out. Man I am glad I have backup drives. What worries me though, is what got backed up what files maybe corrupted or missing. Ouch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also feel like Adobe kind of is trying to sweep this one under the rug and hope no one notices. I mean I just realized today that the latest version of Illustrator has a preview window when you click on a AI file in the open dialog, why can't photoshop? It makes me think the excuses that it's the OS creator's fault that have been previously levied don't carry that much weight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add to the mix that OSX has had native GOOD support for psd previews forever and this is a bag of frustration. I do think it is Adobe's responsibility to provide OS support for their proprietary file formats. And no, that god-awful pretend file browser does nothing to bridge (see what im doing here?) the gap - makes one more angry than just not having previews at all. It is not that $14.95 is a lot of money but that the principle of it is just wrong. Adobe isn't one guy programming something in his garage, so little room for excuse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2013 Jun 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so frustrating. I don't know about codec and what not. I do object to paying out more money to a 3rd party when this should be basic. I use Paintshop Pro X4 and there is no problem whatsoever viewing it's thumbnails when browsing. And that can be with as much work and layers, masks or whatever on it as any Photoshop file. BUT it costs a quarter of the price. In fact Paintshop pro beats photoshop in so many other areas.

It's annoying considering the price difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I thought I would give an update for you guys that are on the subscription service with Adobe (Creative Cloud). Fortunately, they have somewhat fixed this problem in Photoshop CC. While it's not the traditional old preview at the bottom like before, they have now integrated the FULL Windows Explorer menus and options into the Open window (in ALL Adobe programs, I might add). That means a few things that are actually quite nice: For one, that incorporates the Show/hide Preview Pane on the top right hand side of the window. What that means is you can now toggle that "on" and browse in list view, clicking on files and previewing them in THAT area now. Now the one thing I've noticed is that PSD files do not preview by default, however, interestingly enough, you can preview AI and EPS files, even in Photoshop. So you will still have to go download a third party option to view PSDs. I'm using Sagethumbs and it seems to fulfill that need (worry not...it's a free program). But at least, once you get that third party viewer on there, you can now view files in LIST VIEW and preview them before opening. So I believe I can at last say.....IT IS FIXED. It will take a little while to get used to the preview pane on the right hand side, but I can deal with that.

Having the full windows explorer open menu also means that you get the following when opening files (that we didn't have before):
1) Search function on the top right.
2) The file browsers on the left side that includes your Libraries, Favorites, etc.
3) The ability to turn on the Details pane at the bottom of the window that shows things like the artwork dimension, file size, date created, etc....all without having to browse in Details view to get all that information, but rather by just clicking once on the file you want to preview and getting those details below.

So, I think what happened was in the transition from the standard menu with previews that we'd been accustomed to in CS 5.5 and below, to the new version that fully incorporates the Windows OS menus into it, we were given Photoshop CS6...which was a clunky pacifier until Adobe CC got here with the polished version.

So I can honestly say that with the full Windows Explorer menu incorporated into the Adobe open/save dialog boxes, they've made a huge leap forward for Windows systems and honestly can't believe it took them this long to do it. Now I can tell anyone I know that has CS 5.5 or below that is considering moving to CS6 to skip it and go straight to Adobe CC (assuming they want to move to the subscription service). I could go on and on about the other things I've found in other programs that I'm so glad they fixed that ticked me off to no end in CS6, but I'll save that for the other forums where I've fumed at Adobe for the turd that CS6 was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, we had to drop XP support before we could adopt the new dialogs -- and it was far from an easy task to integrate the new dialogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe apparently waited till they brought out the Creative Cloud, to somewhat fix the Preview issue.

So those of us, while having CS6 (perpetual license) and not desiring to join the now rental of adobe cloud still do not have a fix for the problem.

I run cs5 and cs6 along with LightRoom, and I did not have a problem with updating to the latest versions when available, but I refuse to be held hostage to "perpetual rental agreement". I will work with what I have and no longer recommend Adobe o friends or relatives.

There are other companies that will eventually fill the void for hobbyists and photographers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think CS6 will EVER fix this... ??? I don't want to HAVE to subscribe to CC just for this reason alone....

PLEASE !!! find a way for us CS6 users.... I beg you!!

Having the preview mode, made my designing life sooooo much easier, now I have to open all the psd's to find what I am looking for!! CRAZY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Subscribing to CC won't fix it. You'll have to pay for a 3rd party thumbnail generator, which isn't the same as the preview as you have to use huge thumbnails in order to see what's what. Bridge is an option, albeit a memory hog that is crash prone. No one from Adobe has been able to point us to the appropriate folks as Microsoft who are supposedly the reason for this change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that someone mentioned this ... Clayton, have you tried this?
I am thinking of downloading it, but am afraid I might screw something up!
I'm using windows 7, CS6...

What are you thoughts? Thank you!

https://code.google.com/p/sagethumbs/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running CS6 and CC. Due to a hard drive crash, CS6 was no longer available from my installer - now just running CC apps. I went ahead and purchase Mystic Thumbs which seems to do a reasonable job. All of the thumbnail generators create files on your system, although you can generally change the settings for them to do this on the fly. The downside to this is overhead and speed. You'll find yourself waiting on thumbs to generate. I'm on Windows 7 (and 8) and don't encounter much in the way of trouble. I'm just frankly annoyed that I had to buy another app, and a system-wide one at that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

annoyed is a good word for it.... ugh

the "sagethumbs" is a free download, just wondering if it is worth the headaches it may bring...

and yes, slowing things down is a concern.

Anyone out there download "sagethumbs"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's one of the reasons I never uninstalled CS5, I keep both CS5 and CS6 on my PCs.
Also, some of my older plugins and actions don't work, on CS6.

Also , guess I will be on CS6 perpetual license for as long, long time as it will work, since I have absolutely no intent to join the "Cloud".

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes... I never un-installed my previous either.. but what a pain, and time consuming.

Just can't believe they would leave out such an important tool... perhaps it was to motivate people to join "cloud" ????

but then... I am reading it is a OS issue????

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the previous discussions. Yes, this was a limitation forced on us by the OS vendors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😞
Thanks for the info... bottom line, is there any way to get the preview mode in CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like the image below, wouldn't the preview window being in Illustrator CS6 be evidence that the "forced limitation" by the OS manufacturer be untrue?

what_inline-5a5fac0e-9abd-4c55-8908-633b8a13f196-488197314.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, just that Illustrator hasn't yet made the changes requested by the OS vendors, while the Photoshop team made them a little earlier than required because they were already working on the open/save dialog code.

Votes

Translate

Translate