• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

I have been using Mystic Thumbs for years, it works flawlessly while it works.

If you happen to have a license issue, which I had twice, the guy at costumer service, Ian Masters is just... let's say not helpful.

So I would get Mystic Thumbs only if there is nothing else out there. As he wrote:

"my time is very precious and for a $30 product, technical support really only covers the very most essential things."

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SageThumbs download | SourceForge.net

This one is free and works like a charm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively, you can go the whole way and try MysticThumbs.

Not just PSD, not just RAW, and not just more, but 70 - yes that's right, 70 (currently) file formats, plus a QuickView pressing the space bar like Mac does, plus customisations to appearances which include transparency checker-boarding, sizing and a whole lot more. It costs a little more but is a very powerful tool for artists. It has a 14 day trial period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my windows explorer, I can't view the thumbnails for PSD files. I used view option but nothing happened. So how can I view the thumbnails?@21765027_762897100560972_4698531899375543988_n.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to install a package like FastPictureViewer Codec one you windows system Microsoft code does not do display thumbnails for RAW and PSD files.  Some Addone will generatle them in File explorer and window's file dialogs.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Free option: SageThumbs 2.0.0.23 [CherubicSoft]

Although I also prefer FastPictureViewer Codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should I have to pay for 3rd party software to view the thumbnail view while I am in the native PhotoShop App, trying to open a .PSD file?  Seems kinda of stupid, since I already pay for the app annually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Baddog+II  wrote

Why should I have to pay for 3rd party software to view the thumbnail view while I am in the native PhotoShop App, trying to open a .PSD file?  Seems kinda of stupid, since I already pay for the app annually.

You don't have to: a free option (SageThumbs) was also suggested. You could also use Bridge to browse your PSD files.

I prefer FastPictureViewer Codec myself, just as JJMack suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need to pay for a third party add-on you can use Adobe software and open PSD through Bridge using thumbnails.  If you ]Photoshop to open file via menu File>Open and chose the have Photoshop use the OS File system Dialog Windows or Mac.   Windows does not display Thumbnails for PSD and RAW Files   Adobe many years ago stopped supplying a window add-on to display Thumbnails in system dialogs and Windows file explore.    You do not need Thumbnails to Process PSD and RAW files you do not need to pay for system add-ons.  If you want thumbnails in many application you can of add a system extension its a choice not a requirement.  I also think there may be free free add-ons.  I think a paid $14 years ago the money been spent and it still works back them I chose buying an Add-on over bying a bottle of wine.  Oh Life is so trying.  The mini bridge extension is no loger support flash support has been removed from extension support. The show must go on.....]

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey ekramullah70,

My job updated to Windows 10 and we were no longer able to see thumbnails. They researched and it was because Windows 10 no longer displays thumbnails. We had to purchase a third party program to view it.

Andrea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has been around for a long, long time. Still, after all these years, a user cannot get a display of existing psd files in a directory. Why?

Having the ability to see what you're opening is a valuable thing. Sometimes, the name alone is insufficient.

And get this. I know a program that can view psd files and it can even make a slide show out of them.  If this program can view thumbnails, then why doesn't photoshop allow this?

MAKE IT HAPPEN!  There SHOULD be a way to view your existing psd files so that you're sure to open the correct one. That's just plain common sense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong answer. This works, but it's not Sagethumb's responsibility to provide this. It's Adobe's. I want Adobe to include this in Photoshop. If others can do this, so can Adobe.

I don't want psd files to be viewed by my browser. I want this only in Photoshop.

So far, I've bought three versions of Photoshop.

Photoshop 3 @ $229
Photocshop CS 5 @ $240
Photoshop CC @ $20 / month for 26 months = $520
Total spent: $989

I'm certain that Adobe can afford to create this function.

Sorry. Wrong answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, correct answer. I have been a forum volunteer for 10 years and have already been through this issue many times.

For reasons I am not entirely privy to, "Ain't gonna happen."

Read this entire thread I started in 2009.

Why can't PSD thumbnails be displayed in Windows 7? - Microsoft Community

Get the codec or buy out Adobe Systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sagethumbs worked with psd's for years for me. But when Adobe updated pshop about a week ago, Sagethumbs no longer works 😕

Is there a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion for SageThumbs! I had tried several other third party suggestions, but they did not work. SageThumbs did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is literally 4 years old but STILL just as relevant. This is a feature that should be implemented into the OS without the use of expensive 3rd party software, so until then I will continue to b**** and moan and encourage you all to please upvote my recent feedback on the Feedback hub --> https://aka.ms/Lijfe5 ...and please share so that the development team will see high demand for this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just install pictus imageviewer. problem solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about Adobe Bridge.

In some ways it's not quite as flexible as is a thumbnail in windows explorer but if you have Photoshop then you either already have it or you access to it.

So it's not a different 3rd party app and while not technically free, for Photoshop users it doesn't cost any more. It even has some nice features windows explorer will never have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SageThumbs works well for me, and not just on PSD files but jpg also

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Awful News! I've been working with Photoshop on a Mac since version 1 in 1985 and have always been able to see thumbnails in the open dialog box showing the file I've highlighted WITHIN PHOTOSHOP. And now thumbnails are gone with the latest version of CC Photoshop? and we are told that there have never been thumbnails... What planet are we on? Thumbnails have always displayed in the open dialog when a file is highlighted.

Very disappointing, and obviously we are told to 'SHUT UP' as nothing is wrong...

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop for Windows used to have a .dll for rendering thumbnails, but it was discontinued because of "file-locking" problems.

See if Pictus will work if you own a Windows PC. no preview while opening psd file    https://poppeman.se/pictus/

Mac users are lucky to have thumbnails for PSD included, but nothing yet for PSB thumbs except Bridge and John Ellis''s PSB Quicklook plug-in.

(As a note to new visitors, this is a users' forum hosted by Adobe. We have no say in programming and licensing decisions.)

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the good response you have given here gener7, I am using a Mac but still no previews at all, in fact, since updating to the latest CC version of Photoshop, opening a file looks like it has thrown me into finder view, which does not have image previews. I was hoping it was just a preferences setting. As others have said here, seeing a preview is verification that the correct file has been selected prior to clicking and opening. Being adaptable creatures as we humans are, I will live with the loss, but is it a great loss and will slow down workflow when opening files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the answer for me on a Mac, use the finder window controls for view when opening a file in Photoshop, this works for any filetype for images...Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 3.52.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a finder plist hack to get large thumbnails in icon view when using the Open dialog.

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 4.27.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate