• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS6 is more than three and a half years old and we've come out with three major (and many minor) releases since then.  That makes CS6 a model-T Ford in comparison to CC 2015.1 being a new electric car.  It's not really reasonable to expect such an old product to continue to get updates and support -- think about other software applications and OSes; generally those manufacturers only support the current and one previous release...  

So, why is this problem marked "Solved"?  

Because in the CURRENT version, CC 2015.1, there is a solution.  The new Start screen does give the previews requested.  Thus it sure seems like the problem has been solved today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Courtney,

Have you tried the new Start screen?  I believe you'll find it solves the problem that you are encountering.  It's in the newly-released CC 2015.1 version.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure what a start screen is, honestly, but i have been upgrading PS since this debacle began.I believe Deborah is referring to the fact that since CS6, the preview on the Open dialog has been gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of thumbnails hasn't convinced me to start "renting" a download. When I buy a program, I like having the disc, for instance. That's why I keep my old "outdated" Photoshop discs. CS 6 is an exception, but it has (I believe) only 2 downloads offered. If my PC dies, which, of course it will some day, and if I've used the 2nd download because of some glitch, well... guess I'll have to stick with CS 5. The "rental" idea is a great money-maker for Adobe, but not my cuppa. Just a money drain for me. The thumbnails in the CC have garnered negative opinions as well, by the way. I don't expect a fix for CS 6. I just feel Adobe took a wrong turn, which I thought in my idealistic days would never happen. That being said, I'd go to CC if it weren't a rental.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clayton and Deborah,

Unfortunately, our hands were and continue to be tied for the Open dialog.  The operating systems made a number of changes that prevent the thumbnails we used to present users in CS2 from correctly displaying.  Yes, it's been a while since this problem appeared and we've tried a number of different solutions.  The Start screen is our latest attempt to fix the underlying issue for our customers.

I understand that the subscription model seems like an attempt to drain your wallet dry.  Honestly, I wasn't too happy about it when I first heard.  But, honestly, it really is the best for our customers.  Because of this continual model, we can get more features and fixes out quicker to you all -- cycles that used to be 12, 18 or 24 months are now only a few.  And the cost, if you add it all up and compare it to the life of a product cycle, is actually lower now.

Perhaps this sounds like marketing-speak, but I assure you, this is my honest opinion after working here 18 years.  Hope that helps,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the CC also come with Bridge? I've been using that in CS 6, and while it can get a tad quirky, it works sufficiently well for my needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, I see that you are monitoring this thread, yet the problem is still marked as 'solved'. You admit that the Start screen is an "attempt" (your word) to a problem not yet solved, yet the problem is still marked as 'solved'.

My fear is that if you leave it as 'solved' the problem will never go away. Please, please please re categorize/flag this problem as something which will make Adobe/dev prioritize it higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new "Start" solution feels klugey as part of the Workspace feature set. It's not really a workspace, and it's access becomes disabled once you open a document, making it even less useful. Can you elaborate on the decision behind making this a workspace instead of something similar to the start screen in previous versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deborah,

I don't really work with the purchase plans.  I believe, however, that Bridge comes with most of them.  I've forwarded your question to the Tech Support folks to follow up on.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcel,

CS6 won't be updated and CC 2015.1 has a solution to the problem that there are no previews of images.  Therefore, the problem IS solved.

If you disagree, please start a NEW thread that addresses the CC 2015.1 workflow and Start screen, particularly what specific features are missing.  Rebuilding the OS's Open dialog for this one issue and then maintaining such a behemoth indefinitely while OSes continue to evolve is a non-starter...

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deborah, Bridge CC is included with all CC plans: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, it is not fast or efficient on most systems. My i7, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd work PC would drag anytime I attempted to use it. You really need to stop arguing with users about the experiences we are reporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft has yet to fix the bugs in the shell extension APIs that we documented from our last attempt to ship a shell extension for thumbnailing. And the current thumbnailing utilities have problems in the same areas that we documented.

I'm sorry you aren't up to date on Microsoft and Apple's security plans and limitations - fortunately we do stay up to date with both OS developers, and sometimes we take action at their request in anticipation of future OS changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's been a while, but did you post in the recommended forums and get a response? I've tried to contact MS about this to no avail myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is fast an efficient on most systems. You may have something slowing down your system, but that does not mean that everyone else has the same slowdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...crickets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So prescient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's clear that most of us would rather a slightly buggy codec than nothing at all. At least give us the option, perhaps with a "beta" disclaimer? This is far from an unreasonable request. I use CC on my personal computer, but at work (and in most workplaces I'm willing to bet) CS6 is all I have to work with. Your other rep claiming it's unreasonable to expect these sorts of fixes to a "3 year old" program (like that's so old for a program that probably cost most users over a grand, come on) is pretty insulting and totally unrealistic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Michael!  SageThumbs is a great little add-on.  You can configure it from the Control Panel in Windows.  I had to adjust the memory settings for some PSDs and now it works like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking at FastPictureViewer Codec Pack $9.99

down from $14.99

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

so I got it and it seems it is working fine.

Easy to install. 

This has been nagging me for a long time

so It great to finally resolve it.

But my feeling is that the PSD File Explorer viewing
should
have never been excluded in the newer PS
versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, @rickster56. I am glad it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI all - just thought i'd drop this in for what it's worth - i know i take everything commercial i read on a forum with a grain of salt, but I read somewhere above that Argus preset viewer worked for this problem - and remembered that i'd already bought it for ten bucks and had it on my old computer.

Sing to the angels, it shows |Photoshop previews in explorer windows.
Costs money, but my day was just made.

my 2 cents :)

GG

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using photoshop for what must be 15+ years now, I even have the original box somewhere.

This is a core feature that needs to be in the main program. Not something I need to run in addition to or hack the registry or any nonsense like that. PUT. IT. BACK. PLEASE!

P.S. all your competitor can view their own files in the open dialog, what does that tell you?

Votes

Translate

Translate