• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: PDF import show edge artifacts on tiled PDF images (bug in PDF creation)

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing a PDF with images, Photoshop CS6 adds faint outlines to the PDF image segments in the file. Prior versions of Photoshop render the PDF correctly. See the attached image for an example.

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 262 Replies 262
262 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me...

Chris is the only person in the Kingdom of Adobe taking any notice of any of you.

What they really need is some real advertising talking about the pitfalls of investing in CS6 before it is purchased. I tell people all the time... looking to upgrade... I tell them to wait until the bugs are fixed... cos Adobe really dont care...

It currently has an unacceptable ftp engine also in the new CS6 Dreamweaver which is causing all sorts of major problems with hosting companies which is making people transfer using different means than Dreamweaver.

ADOBE YOU ARE LAUGHABLE

Im afraid Adobe has become a joke... and its sad that the joke isnt just on them... but all of you guys too.

Fortunately I am still on CS5... so I can safely say im safe for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris, after few testings – here are my latest thoughts about the issue:

1)
I cannot understand why PDF production with CS5 should differ from the way CS6 produces PDF files. For my understanding PDF creation is done by the Acrobat/Distiller unit wich (I think) is a stand alone production tool and independent from the CS evolution steps.

2)
Several testings revealed for me that the PS CS6 render issue only appears on PDFs produced with image files that don ́t have a fixed background layer. From those image files Acrobat XI Pro engine produces tiled images within the PDF. Unfortunately I ́m not able to reconstruct if previous versions of Acrobat showed same behaviour.

3)
Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit) is capable of rendering those tiled image files without problems. Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit) is not (transparent lines).

4)
PS CS5.1 rendering quality is very superior to PS CS6. See images attached. Both images are rendered from same PDF file. The 'CS5.1.png' was rendered via PS CS5.1 from a PDF with a tiled image within -> no issue - goog quality. The 'CS6.png' was rendered via PS CS6 from a PDF with the same image including a fixed background layer resulting in a no-tiled image PDF -> of course no transparent lines but poor quality.

I hope my reflections are constructive because this is what they are ment to be.

Best regards,

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the previous postings....
1) The PDF production isn't different - the rasterization improved in Photoshop and made the tiled image defect more visible.
2) Yes, the tiled images seem to has something to do with the transparency flattening when writing the PDF file.
3) no, older versions of Photoshop also showed the artifacts - just less visibly most of the time, and at different resolutions
4) that's a different issue that I'm working on (downsampling of images). Long story behind that, but I'm working on a fix for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2013 Mar 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a shame that adobe has not fixed the problem yet. I don't care which team's fault it is or what you are trying to improve. We - the users - have to pay a lot of money for every software update and we expect it to work so that we can do our job! Let's be honest: most features in new versions are unnecessary while there are still a lot of things we're waiting for since CS2 - but we HAVE to update, because it's a standard. And this bug has not been fixed for 10 months!

So do YOUR JOB and make it work! NOW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 10 months and no fix from Adobe is a joke. Users do not care which departments problem it is, they just want it fixed so they can continue to work. Maybe if this issue was highlighted by a news website or magazine, then it may get Adobe moving quicker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with lines after rasterizing in CS6. When will this be fixed Adobe ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the rest of the posts in this topic. The applications that created the bad PDF have to fix the way they are writing the files. As written, they cannot be rasterized without artifacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet the applications that are creating the PDF files are made by Adobe. This was not a problem before CS6 and as a customer we do not care where the fault lies, we just want it fixed!!! Chris if the Photoshop team can not help, is the issue being investigated by the InDesign and Illustrator teams?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we know, and appreciate the irony. But the tiled images just cannot be rasterized without artifacts at a resolution less than the original image resolution. It's a case of one team not talking to the others. We are trying to get the responsible team to discuss the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

nice to see, that you are still motivated to look after this thread!
As far as I can reckon this, I'd say: not a single word more spent here will speed up or change things in any way.
Tell me (or ask your boss, or the big kahuna at Adobe Systems) one thing: what should I do with the jobs, lying around here (except exploring the 1001 workarounds for the problematic files)?
I'm totally frustrated! I feel helpless and forsaken by Adobe.
As I am an Adobe Cloud customer, I'm thinking about not prolonging the service until everything works as it should (including another problem I have with InDesign and the Windows memory management - means: I'm waiting desperately for the 64bit version).
If there was a competitor on the market - but there ain't.

I won't post anything else here till a solution comes up. I need the time for finding the workarounds mentioned above.

Kind Regards (at least to you Chris),

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that you are focusing on the Tiled images not rendering properly, but to me it's much more than that. If I have type in illustrator that has an outline of the same color as the fill and I: A. export it as a pdf and open it in Photoshop CS6 B. Copy from illustrator and paste as a smart object what I get is a tiny hairline between the fill and the copy. this is just one of the issues. Unless there is something that I am not understanding, how is this tiled?

Since Creative cloud came out I kept a copy of CS5 on my drive JUST TO DO SMART OBJECTS/RASTERIZE PDF's.

this has been a very long time for something that I deal with alot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fb page you (Adobe) ask me what is the problem with transparency flattener in Photoshop CS6. I give you some screens.

First I go to Illustrator (but we may use InDesign also) and create CMYK file with gradient background with object and I use effect with transparency (drop shadow):

Now I want to save this file to the pdf format. I want to use a standard PDF/X-1a:2001 and I choose in transparency flattener High quality option. I must use PDF/X-1a so don't give me advice "use PDF/X-4" please.

Now I open pdf in Acrobat Pro. Sometimes as you know Acrobat show thin line, but these line or lines which represent transparency flattening are safe in printing. In these case even Acrobat does not show any lines:

Now funny part. When I open pdf in PS CS6 (because I want to be sure that thin lines really don't exist) I watch something like this (red arrows are my markers):

I report bug in case #0183607842 (Thursday, September 6, 2012). I got the answer that the case describes a bug and in following update you will fix this bug. As you see nothing has changed.

All test files you can also download here:
http://speedy.sh/hKqFP/transp-flat.7z

UPDATE INFO
My friends managed to open the file on their computers and here are the results of the tests:

PS CS 6 on MAC (bug exist)

PS CS5 (everything is fine)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a well known problem - unfortunately the problem is in the software that created the PDF file, not the software rendering the PDF.
Basically the way the image is handled doesn't allow for correct rasterization at any resolution other than the original resolution or higher.

And the problem can show up in CS5 and earlier versions - it is just harder to see, and happens at different resolutions due to the improved rendering quality in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Chris,

I have read all the answers in the related topics and I assume that not only me but also thousands of the users are fed up with the enigmatic replies from the Adobe website.

You have written that the problem concerns the software which created the PDF file (InDesign, Illustrator), however, this software was created by Adobe. Or maybe I am wrong?

What is more, in the Internet you can find hundreds of pieces of advice and assurance that in the PDF files with flatten transparency thin lines shown in Acrobat simply do not exist in reality. It is Acrobat rendering bug. Suddenly, in Photoshop CS6 it appears that the lines do not exist? So does it mean that for many years we have worked and still work on the PDF files which are faulty created?

Additionally, Adobe have replied to me under the case in the technical support that the case described by me is a BUG and it will be fixed in the next update. Was the BUG fixed?

Instead of blaming the other teams and programmes it would be better if someone from Adobe have finally given a specific solution to this problem and answered the most important question: DO THE THIN LINES IN THE PDF FILES REALLY EXIST?

Today, after the year form the discovery of the BUG, the situation is that Adobe prefers to be concerned with “the new payment system (Creative Cloud)” and not to be concerned with the thousands of users who are not sure if their files will be printed correctly, for instance.

Finally, it does not matter in what resolution is the file opened. 300dpi, 600dpi or 1600dpi produces exactly the same lines. The previous version of Photoshop showed the lines too, but only in the files which were very complex and complicated . I presented the file which is the simplest you can imagine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said Krzysztof, our requests for actual answers and progress on fixing the issue continue to fall on deaf ears, it seems easier to play the blame game. This leaves us limited time to keep chasing Adobe on the issue, as we all have to work for a living. I imagine all of us still have Photoshop CS5 installed on our machines just so we can continue to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or run an extra machine with Windows XP (XP-mode in Windows 7 works as well) and install Photoshop CS2 on it (that version is downloadable for free at Adobe). This solution works well and due to the fact that the current version (for which we paid license fee) is buggy, there should be no issue about that the CS2-license is actually missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here a link to the CS2 downloads (in german, change the region to get it in your language): http://www.adobe.com/de/downloads/cs2...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gavin and Pierre, I paid for the CS6 version and I want this version to work properly. I understand your ironic attitude, however, the case is serious because for the whole one year nobody from Abode can't or does not want to solve this problem which we all have to struggle with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no irony in this, it's the unfortunate reality! The discussion in this thread does not seem to come to any conclusion. For Creative Cloud users, which have no possibility to downgrade to an earlier, reasonably modern version the solution with CS2 in a virtual machine is the only solution that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone from Adobe had said, that they're working on that issue and that it will be fixed on the next major update in Creative Cloud, everything would be fine. As long as that isn't (I suppose that they still didn't understand what the problem is), we have to expect that the coming updates will have the bug furthermore. Waiting is no solution, many users have to deal with flattened PDFs and need a practicable workaround now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pierre, I'm happy CS6 user and never be a Creative Cloud customer. I understand what you talking about in CS2 (I use CS5 too). It's beyond question that BUG is BUG and we must fight for solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fact is, placing a PDF file as smart object works in CS5.
In CS6 it is not usable because of these fine lines.
So much updates and no fix yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you can see artifacts in CS5 and older versions of Photoshop as well for these documents. The artifacts just aren't as obvious, and happen at different resolutions due to the improvements made to rasterization in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've said repeatedly that we're working on it. But I can't guarantee a fix because I have to depend on other teams to fix their code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Chris!
Finally you have given some facts but maybe you should invite the bosses of other teams to our discussion. If they see our conversation, they will decide to react and you won't have to make any excuses for the other teams.

Can you tell me how much time will the other teams need (approximately) in order to react for that BUG? Will it take another year?

Still you haven't answered the most important question regarding PDF files with flatten transparency: DO THE THIN LINES IN THE PDF FILES REALLY EXIST? It would be good if you took the responsibility for the software you create. NOW we take the responsibility for what you have created and you can't or you don't want to repair. I would like to remind you that we have paid for the software a lot of money. Since we have paid for it quite a lot of money it would be nice if it worked properly without any obstacles.

To finish with, one more question. Is there chance to render PDF files properly without loss of the quality (it concerns the problem of the unchecking "smooth" in PDF import dialogue box which worsens the render quality)?

Votes

Translate

Translate