Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1: V.23.3
2: Microsoft 10
3:
Open multiple files. (4+ files)
Window -> Arrange -> 4-UP
a: Open new file into windowspace of active window.
b: Change active window between the 4-up windows.

4: Expected result-
If docked, the windowsize remain constant, unless user actively resize the window.
When shifting between active windows/workfiles, the windowsize remain constant unless user actively resize the window. Image stay at the chosen size percentage as per users setting (i.e. if it opens at 100% zoom, that's fine, but if I set it to "fit screen", or "x%" it should stay there when changing active window).
Actual result-
Every, single, time that a new active window is chosen, whether because a new file was opened, or because a new active window was chosen, the 4 windows on the screen are resized. The resize makes the active window fit as much of the physical screen (the display) as possible towards the 100% zoom view.
The image also defaults to 100% zoom. This happend everytime a new active window is chosen.

Hi,

I work with Photoshop on a daily basis. I usually work with several files open at the same time. Referencematerial as well as workfiles. 
To do so, I work with a 4-up setup.

Before the update, I would open files as I went, and move them around to the desired space I was working in. A big part of my work also involves sharing parts of muy screen as I work, meaning I need certain parts to NOT be shared. This was not a problem before, as I could share certain percentages of my screen.

However, since the update yesterday I find that anytime I switch the "active" window in Photoshop, and anytime I load a new file, it will resize the window to the max size of that particular file.
Even if the image is in a docked state.

I.e. I have four files up files on my screen. I click on one of them, and the window it is in will resize to fit the full image, at 100% size.
I activate another image, and _that_ window will resize to 100% size of that image.

Every time I click on a different imge, it will resize it to 100% and resize the workspace.

Is there any wy to avoid this? This is causing serious issues for me as it makes it difficult to actually perform my job....

Let me reiterate-
My work mean I have to share he screen on occasion. This means the shared screen is extremely confusing to clients and colleagues. It also means that sometimes things that are under NDA will/would be seen.
On top of this, it causes serious issues in my productivity as I constantly need to resize/zoom the work window.

Can I adjust this in some setting?
Is this a known problem?
Can this be fixed ASAP- I am loosing money on this!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.4.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating   

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.  

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

This issue is being worked on.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
59 Comments
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop uses the empty disk space on the drive for operating.  If the drive is solid-state, it can easily become fragmented and cause PS to stumble.  If it's not solid-state please check that there is enough room on the drive to allow for PS to work.  Check the preferences to make sure you are using enough ram and that you do not have too many programs open when using this filter, because they also use ram.  

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually work with two tabs side-by-side, and with this recent update, whenever I open a new image, the tabs resize so that one tab covers more of the screen. Perhapse this can be fixed in preferences, but as far as I know, I never changed anything between updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you saved a workspace for how you would like this to open? Please show a screenshot before and after. 

Maybe you have auto collapse turned on?

MikeGondek_0-1650035544454.png

Would be easier to help if we could see exactly what you are experiencing rather than guessing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the before and after I add a new Image to a tabPhotoshop Before.pngPhotoshop After.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted the a before and after photo, and the auto collapse is turned off. Hope this information will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhapse this can be fixed in preferences, but as far as I know, I never changed anything between updates.

By @Sean24058396c9we

What you are seeing is called "Floating Document Window Docking" and is a feature, not a bug. Read about it here — do a Find to search for  "Enable Floating Document Window Docking" to get to the right section:

https://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/tabbed-and-floating-documents-in-photoshop/

I am not a fan of this feature, but look in Edit > Preferences > Workspace and see if unchecking "window docking" when using floating tabs helps.

janee_0-1650037176200.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of, however the problem isn't just with floating windows.
That was not an issue for me before, because I kept floating windows to a
minimum. The main issue now is that this happens with docked windows as
well, and it pushes other docked windows to minimal size if the new file
opened is a lot larger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think floating option is not user problem, but changed size of window for new image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue since the most recent update. The window resizes whenever a new image is opened in an existing tab dock. Turning off "enable floating document window docking" does not fix the problem nor does changing any option in workspace preferences. The only semi work around is to uncheck "open documents as tabs" and then manually drop the new doc it into the tab dock you want to use. 

This may be a newly added feature to allow for auto resizing of new documents inside dock tabs to fully show the image, but it is not helpful for certain work flows. Before the last update the tab dock size always remained evenly split by the amount of tab docks you had and not the amount of documents open within them. You could manually adjust the tab dock sizes if you wanted afterwards but the dock size always remained the same size and in the same space after you tiled all vertically, for example. You could then select a dock tab and open a new document in that tab dock without it resizing the tab dock. That is no longer the case with the most recent update.

What appears to be happening is a new document is being told to auto resize the tab dock to try and fit that document. We need a way to turn this "feature" off as it is adding significant time having to re-adjust tab dock sizes every single time we open a new document. Below are screens shots of having 2 tab documents tiled vertically and below that is what happens each time a new document is opened. The tab dock progressively gets larger making the unselected tab dock smaller. Is there an option to stop this so the tab docks always stay the same size like shown in the top image? If this is still unclear please let me know and I will post a video of what is happening.

Thank you.

Photoshop-Dock-Resizing.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is a bug, but I'm not happy because of the countless updates and features I did not ask for, this is by far the most annoying. I work on multiple files(in multiple windows) at a time and I work on a 13 inch screen, but since the latest update, photoshop now resizes all windows within the interface which collapses files already open and squashes the rest while blowing up the opened file to fit half the screen, also when swithing between files this happend. I'm pretty sure this is a bug as I can't see the logic behind this. I'm sorry if this message is sounding angry but I'm extremly frustrated because I work on a laptop with a track pad and I searched the prefrences I don't know how to fix this also changed between option like reszing windows and locking workspace but it doesn't work and it's making my work process and flow slow down significantly! If the admins are reading this, please fix and minimize new features as they are really not helping!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community 🙂

I've been using Photoshop professionally for years, but yesterday something new started happening - each time I open a smart object, it minimises all other open tabs. (I just noticed this setting seems to be bound by tab - switching between them also changes my workspace.)

For my workflow, I pretty much always have at least two files open at once, splitting the workspace in half. Is there any way to switch back to how it was?

-Tam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Please share screenshots of your screen for a better understanding of the issue.

Meanwhile, you can try resetting the preferences: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course - and in making the screenshots, I realised something else: it'll open to the size of the smart object, apparently? (usually my files all fill the screen)

TicTacTam_0-1650988973861.png

TicTacTam_2-1650989159691.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Resetting the preferences didn't help unfortunately! Forgot to write in the upper post, sorry for spam)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Please try: Window > Arrange > Consolidate All to Tabs.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consolidate to Tabs didn't really do anything, but seeing how my post was merged into this one.. I guess that moved it all into 'known bug' territory. 🙂 hope this gets fixed soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, if this is another intentional Adobe "let's just force the users to adopt our new feature" I am honestly confused. In what world would this "feature benefit the user? 

Let me also add that if you manually adjust, say a four view into a three view with the big image on the left, (Not the default three view with the big image on the LEFT) as I often do, tabbing through will squash some of the windows to the bottom.

Has a programmer acknowledged this is a problem that will be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that it has been acknowledged in the other thread. Lets hope it doesn't take as long as the saveas/copy fiasco.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh, nope. That was for the (probably related) CMD-0 resize failure issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System: iMac Monterey 12.3.1, Photoshop 23.0

The multiple canvas display is not working correctly. I usually display the canvas that I'm using on the left side of the app and place two or more references images on the right side (split app window). Instead of displaying as they should with one large canvas (my illustration) on the left and two smaller stacked canvases (my photo reference) on the right, I am getting an incorrect display, which you can see in the screenshot. This has only started this week, so I believe there is a bug in the update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate