• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 25.11 & Beta 25.12 stuck at launch while adding Halide Bottlenecks extension

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue just started happening to me yesterday on my M1 Macbook 13". It seems like it happened right after the 25.11 update. I have completely reinstalled Photoshop after using the cleaner tool. I have deleted all of my preferences. I have tried reinstalling older versions of Photoshop. It gets stuck at the "Adding extensions...Halide Bottlenecks" message. Eventually I get a pop-up saying my Ram is running out, and it says Photoshop is not responding and taking around 90 GB of memory. All I can do is force quit. 

{Thread branched out by moderator from old thread to track similar reports.}

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 29, 2024 Jul 29, 2024

I finally resolved this by using the "Clean All" option on the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool.  This completely erased all my Adobe apps and their folders (except for Adobe Acrobat), so first I backed up all the settings/prefs/presets from them that I wanted to keep. I had to reinstall everything. But now Photoshop opens again!

So maybe it is a corrupt file that multiple apps rely on that is causing this, even though it only seems to impact Photoshop and Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 29, 2024 Jul 29, 2024

The team is investigating this. Thanks for adding the details.

Sameer K

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
30 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2024 Jul 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I've worked with 3 different Adobe help agents and none could get Photoshop to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, we're sorry for the trouble. Let us know which MacOS version you are using right now. Have you checked and tried the following steps here: https://adobe.ly/4c3OQlT ? If you are on the latest version of MacOS and already tried the above steps, please roll back Photoshop to its previous version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and check if that works fine on your machine.

Thanks. ^MG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing this same issue since yesterday as well. I'm on a Nov23 Macbook Pro M3 Max with 128 gigs of ram and about 4 1/2 TB of drive open. I've gone through the recommended tasks, have made sure my OS is up to date, and have uninstalled and re-installed both the regular version and the beta version. I tried rolling regular photoshop back and that didn't seem to fix anything either. Noticed that for whatever reason Adobe Illustrator has the same behavior. After Effects, for whatever reason, opens fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I've done that and more already. I tried the steps at the article, and then the Adobe help agent tried it again. I've rolled Photoshop back to the version before this week's update, and I've tried rolling it back all the way to the 2023 version, without success. I even worked over the phone with someone who was an expert at Adobe, and after an hour I think he gave up. He even had me log in as root user and that didn't work. He told me he would email me some instructions on what to try next, but I haven't seen an email and that was 5 hours ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, my other Creative Cloud apps work fine. I use Adobe Audition and Premiere Pro and those have no issue. I don't use Illustrator though. I did find someone on Threads (@btouch) that had the same issue and he said, "Spent most of the day working on it, but what the tech eventually found worked for me was using the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to fully remove all of my CC installs, and then add them back one by one. I had preferences and Actions (I’ve dozens) backed up for re-import."

I've already tried using the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool on just Photoshop, but maybe I'll just uninstall everything with it and install everything fresh to see if that works. It just makes me nervous with my preferences!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe expert even tried renaming the Halide Bottlenecks extension to ~Halide Bottlenecks, but then the launcher just got stuck on a different extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on MacOS Sonoma 14.5. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to have done the trick. Tried just uninstalling Photoshop and Illustrator with the cleaner but then cleared out everything and it's back open again. Glad it worked for you too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2024 Jul 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to open Photoshop 2024 on my MacBook Pro (macOS Sonoma 14.5 -- current as of this posting). I get the opening splash screen then the spinning wheel of death. My system suggests that I force quit. When I don't force quit and give Photoshop more time to open, it still won't open. So, I end up force quitting myself.

I have done the following to fix the problem. Nothing has worked so far:

- Restarted my Mac

- Unstalled and re-installed Photoshop

- Reset Photoshop preference (shift+option+command when opening)

- Repaired disk permissions

- Disabled plugins and extensions

- Opened in Safe Mode

- Reset the System Management Controller

Has anyone else encountered this problem and come up with a fix?

Side note: I have been using Photoshop as an amateur for more than 20 years. So, this is not a new installation. The software has been on my computer for as long as I've had the computer. And Photoshop was working 6 days ago.

Thank you!

Kelly

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2024 Jul 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the problem. It happens to me on a Mac mini. For 4 days it has
been crashing just like you. I have already contacted Adobe first, and
after three agents, I am still waiting for a solution. I contacted Apple
and after several attempts it seems that the problem comes (must come) from
Adobe.
I also have to point out that, however, on my Macbook (for now) Photoshop
works fine for now!
Tomorrow I will insist with Adobe again

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2024 Jul 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a MacBook Pro with an M1 MAX.  I was running on latest version of Ventura, I upgraded to the latest version of Photoshop, and suddenly both the Beta and 2024 versions locked up during the loading of the dreaded "Halide Bottlenecks."  I tried every listed remedy (removing the preset files, uninstalling and reinstalling, loading older versions) and nothing was working.  I then upgraded my OS to SONOMA, and I had exactly the same problem trying the exact same solutions.  I'm out of ideas.

HELP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same issues. At first, both versions beta and the latest photoshop stop responding at reading preferences. I tried to reset the preference by holding shift-opt-cmd. Then both stop responding at adding extension ... Halide Bottlenecks .................. oh really a bottleneck now!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are the same, I use my Mac mini and yet on my Macbook it opens without
any problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm jelous.  Is it an M1 laptop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. For past two days PS will not open. I also tried resetting prefs, uninstalling, reinstall.  Same problem on PS Beta. Other Adobe products like Premeir Pro seem OK. Glad (but sorry) you are having same problem. I was worried I have a corrupt disk. Hours wasted!, let's hope Apple or Adobe fixes this 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2024 Jul 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team is investigating this. Thanks for adding the details.

Sameer K

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank y'all for your replies and for confirming that it's not just me. This is really frustrating. Fortunately, for me, earning a living does not currently depend on my use of Photoshop. But the weekly podcast I co-host does rely on my use of Photoshop. Crossing fingers this get resolved for all of us quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally resolved this by using the "Clean All" option on the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool.  This completely erased all my Adobe apps and their folders (except for Adobe Acrobat), so first I backed up all the settings/prefs/presets from them that I wanted to keep. I had to reinstall everything. But now Photoshop opens again!

So maybe it is a corrupt file that multiple apps rely on that is causing this, even though it only seems to impact Photoshop and Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@will_in_KC Just did what you suggested re Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool. It worked!!! I can now open Photoshop. Thank you thank you thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apps started running slow while I was working today, so I updated, and now neither will load.

Illustrator—the dock icon shows the app is open, but it won't get past the initializing screen, and then freezes completely on "initializing Plug-ins," of which there should be none.

Photoshop—the dock icon either contiuously bounces or displays like the app is closed, and it displays the initializing screen, which freezes on "Done Sorting Font List."

What I've tried:

- I've uninstalled and reinstalled both apps numerous times

- I've restarted my computer numerous times

- I've deleted/restored largest preset files

- I've deleted all third-party font files in my Font Book

- I've reinstalled all Adobe fonts

So far, it's been about 4 hours of troubleshooting with no progress whatsoever.

Any advice?

I have Photoshop (Beta) v.25.12, Photoshop v.25.11, Illustrator (Beta) and Illustrator 28.6, and my system is using Mac OS Sonoma 14.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with Photoshop, Illustrator, & Indesign. Lightroom, Premiere, and Audition all load without incident. I tried using the cleaner tool on all 3 apps, installed previous versions of these apps, safe mode, countless restarts, etc. @adobe, we could really use a fix ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition:

I've also tried…

- Uninstalling/reinstalling Adobe CC

- Reverting to recent versions—PS(b) v25.10 & IL(b) v28.7

More system details

Mac 16-inch (2021) w/ Apple M1 Chip; 10-Core GPU; 32GB Memory; 500GB SSD (93GB available)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Запуск длится несколько минут - что за асбурд. Кто занет в чем может проблема?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shame issue. I start Photoshop up, and then it freezes at Halide Bottlenecks. I have followed all the online advice, but nothing works. It's so odd, because Photoshop was fine just a few days ago. Really frustrating, as I have some important work to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I have done all the recommendations online, including the one suggested here. Nothing works and it is frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate