Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop closes automatically after freezing for a few minutes

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Photoshop closes automatically after freezing for a few minutes. It's very annoying to have to save your work every 2 minutes in case it happens again.

I thought that with today's update it would be solved, but no. I got confused and I have not saved the work and I have lost half an hour of work.

Attached system information.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 24.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 24.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Photoshop crashes, this is the first thing to do, try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (macOS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

OR:

Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder:
Windows 10: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe for a backup of your settings

If that doesn't fix the issue:
Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop.
Still crashing? 
Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. Still crashing?  

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear this @belialy1, have you rolled back to the previous version of Ps that you were able to work in and did that solve this?

What is the Flood plugin update status? Have you tried launching Ps without this to see if it might be at issue? It would be a good idea to contact them and see if they have any updates: http://flamingpear.com/flood-2.html

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CoryShubert 

This has been happening to me for at least 2 versions ago. I have been patient to see if it was solved with an update, but it has not been like that.

I installed the plugin you mention a few days ago, so it's not part of the problem. Also, I don't get the error report window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@belialy1 sorry to hear this.

A system hang or freeze requiring a computer restart usually means a low level failure such as a driver (bad video card driver, etc), failing hardware (hard disk, video card, etc.) or damaged OS installation. 

1. Perform a CLEAN install of the GPU driver, if not already done so.
  2. unplug any extra devices if there are any - hard drives, monitor etc.
  3. Power mode - try Balanced (not high)
  4. Boot to Safe Mode in Windows… and see what happens.
  5. Run System File Check - Corrupt or broken files can cause driver power state failure error. Luckily, Windows 10 has a built-in tool known as System File Checker that restores any faulty files in your system.

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CoryShubert 

I have already done all these steps several times with the same result. The funny thing is that there are times when it does it with a small file, when the work has just started, with a maximum of 4 or 5 layers, and other times, with large files, with many groups of layers, I can spend hours working and it doesn't.

That's what's driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @belialy1, a couple questions:

Is your font panel open or do your files have text in them?

Do you have flick panning on or off in preferences?

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDAT: wanted to share some info we were able to find out about this @belialy1 

A fix for this should be available in the next Beta release and we would love it if you would try the beta to see if this solves the issue you see.

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I'll wait for that beta update.

PS: I responded to your previous comment, but I don't understand why it isn't published. The answers were:
1.No
2. I don't know, I don't know that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @belialy1 

FYI, the flick panning preference I mentioned:
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 8.29.44 AM.png

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi @CoryShubert 

Yes, that option is enabled.
Do I turn it off?

flick panning.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was an option to try from one of the team... let us know if it works or not.

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 24.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 24.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate