P: Photoshop hangs when you want to open a file. Also happens before saving.

2 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very often, especially when Premiere is open, Photoshop just hangs when the Windows Open File Dialog is requested. It can't be closed, restart is the only solution to this. Also happens when you'd like to save a document and in this case, you'll lose your work. You can clearly see the 'fontsize' dialog on top.
My guess is the Open File dialog is hidden behind the main screen (modal) but since it's invisible, you're toast. This should not happen in 2022!

ps_bug.png

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.5.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.5.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
6 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sonali25598420sx47_0-1661282721175.png

For the past few weeks, Photoshop on my laptop isn't working at all, whenever I try to open a new this happens, it won't get open and I'm left with this screen. I don't know what to do, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software multiple times, and tried upgrading and downgrading as well but it's still not working, any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Photoshop crashes, this is the first thing to do, try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

If that doesn't fix the issue:
Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop.
Still crashing? 
Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. Still crashing?  

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.5.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.5.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Bug Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using PS 23.5.1 on a M1 Max Macbook Pro, the warning dialogs, the save as dialogs etc. are behind the image, you can't move the image to see them, effectively, photoshop has frozen unless you hit enter or escape... I'm not using any extensions, this is a new computer with a new install of photoshop, this is a very serious problem, an update yesterday didn't fix it. As a professional piece of software, this doesn't seem very professional and it's causing me a lot of problems on a massive shoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save As window still does not pop up on an M1Pro Macbook Pro on newest build. Generally, it happens after working with photoshop for a while. Can save to cloud but not on computer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm still having this problem in v23.5.1 on a 2021 M1 Max Macbook Pro 16-inch running MacOS Monterey 12.5.1.

To recreate the problem: Select the healing brush tool, then option-click like you're going to select an origin with the rubber stamp tool (which should bring up the error dialog). The dialog "appears," but is invisible. Hitting the escape key shows the dialog briefly, before disappearing.

Maybe the next update will knock it down for good. This one didn't, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate