• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: "Achieve non-destructive brush painting" doesn't work! Photoshop 24.6 Stable (not the Beta)

Engaged ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why this feature doesn't work?!

Achieve non-destructive brush painting: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2023-4.html

gif.gif

Like this one (!):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-24-5-0-quot-adjusments-quot...

BTW, this one works in 24.6!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

It works in 25.0😏

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Thanks everyone, will pass this on to the team.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

In 25.0, this bug should be resolved...Please test it out and let us know if it's working for you!

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
11 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TenTin, AFAIK, text layers in Photoshop are always (sort of) vector to start with. But Photoshop is a raster program. So, one option is to prepare your text layers in Photoshop along with other layers as you always do, and then save the file as a .psd. Open the file in Adobe Illustrator. A prompt will ask what you want to do… convert the layers to objects or flatten them in a single layer? Select “convert objects” and then you can non-destructively edit the text layers. At least, this is how I've always done it. Or maybe you are asking about something else? Others here may have more ideas for you, too.

ETA: I think I see what you mean now. There is a video at that first link that shows you can switch to the brush tool while having the Text layer selected. But it doesn't work. “To deselect a layer, keep the Move tool selected, use the Command (Mac) / Ctrl (Windows) key, and click in the empty bottom portion of the Layers panel.”

ETA2: Okay, LOL, I'm fail on this one for sure. The video shows a smart object layer. Then it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read my post title (!)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TenTin, I sincerely read your title, and your post, several times. I admit confusion and humbly ask that you rephrase your question. Because non-destructive brush painting does work in Photoshop 24.6 Stable… if you convert the layer to a smart object. Which I attempted to point out in my third pass. My apologies for not being able to assist you with your question so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J E L  The new feature is supposed to automatically add a layer rather than prompting that the layer needs to be rasterised, or requiring you to open an SO.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2023-4.html

Unfortunately, despite being in the documentation, the feature does not seem to be active in the new version 24.6. It was raised in another thread that I can't find right now, if I do I'll link it.

Dave

Edit : It was mentioned in this thread https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/ps-v-24-6-is-out/m-p/13881103#M739843

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm, thank you, Dave! Then this is indeed a bug. Even though I couldn't get it to work based on the Adobe Helpx article either, I thought I was reading the instructions wrong. @TenTin, thank you for pointing this bug out. Hopefully it will be added to the list of fixes for the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert  can you take a look at this one. The release capabilities in 24.6 do not match the documentation - it looks like one or the other is out of step

Thanks

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone, will pass this on to the team.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't consider this one as a bug! With the last two update releases, I realized a synchronizer was needed between the "Product Release Team" and the "Release Features Writers Team"! 🥴 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 25.0, this bug should be resolved...Please test it out and let us know if it's working for you!

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see this in the What's new in photoshop 2024 or documented anywhere on what kinds of

layers are affected and how it's supposed to work.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-25-0-amp-photoshop-on-the-i...

Can we please have a preference to turn this off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It works in 25.0😏

Votes

Translate

Translate