• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: "Quick Export As PNG" Used to save in same folder as current image. Not any more!

Participant ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the great things about doing a quick export as a PNG in Photoshop CC was that it would automatically save the PNG in the same folder as the image currently being edited. That made it a simple task to type the keyboard shortcut of your choice and simply press enter to save it alongside the current image.

But, no more! Even with the Preference "Export" - "Export As Location" set to "Export assets to the location of the current document", the Export location defaults to the last location used. I have tried resetting Photoshop preferences to default but that has not helped.

Please, can we have Photoshop do what it's being told to do -- save the asset in the location of the current document? Quick Export is not longer a quick export if we have to navigate a drive's file structure to export the image to the same folder as the current image!

Photoshop 23.1.1 Release

Windows 10

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
39 Comments
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only the *default* folder that Photoshop should choose. It shouldn't
force anything on the user - that's not what I'm suggesting. When you do a
quick export, Photoshop should display the Save As dialog, with the chosen
default folder selected (an assets folder, or the folder where the image
you're currently editing resides, or the last folder where you exported an
image). You can navigate away from there if you wish. This used to be the
default behavior, until Adobe changed it for the worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really frustrating that this is still an issue and to see that Adobe is not even working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @BrettN! Any updates on fixing this feature for users? I'm sure it seems small, but it impacts our workflos greatly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine driving a sports car, and each time you want to check the GPS, you have to parallel park. That's what it's like navigating folders during a creative Photoshop session. Recognizing the brain's 'creative gear' and 'file management mode' and allowing us to seamlessly stay in the 'creative gear' would greatly enhance our workflow and user experience. One little feature revival, and we'll be back to a design experience that's as smooth as butter on a hot pan! In the meantime, it's incredibly irritating. Please consider helping us out with this.

PS. I'm guessing most others here have workflows involving different folders, and they save to the original locations? If anyone has discovered any workarounds, I'm all ears!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, having the possibility to choose the starting position of  "Ask where to export each time" to be the PSD (or the image you're editing) folder would make my workflow much faster.

In the meantime, did anyone find an external addon or workaround that solves this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any solution to this yet? it works as expected on windows but not on macos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not fixed on the Windows platform.
Truly ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it actually works in the way you want on windows for me, but i need to save the psd first, then export a quick png, after that it opens the psds location, only on windows tho 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export is useless for my needs, I use Photoshop in production and Save for Web is the only viable output feature. However, if I WAS able to switch to Export, I would almost always (well over 99% of the time) want to go to a specific output folder. NEVER to the same folder as the original file.

So for me, same as previous or a specific defined folder MUST be available. Asset folder is useless, same as original is useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a number of output actions (Save For Web and Save As), and they all go here:

outbox.png

It's a natural instinct to think that you need to keep your exported files, but ask yourself if you really do. As long as you keep your master files untouched, you can recreate any output file just by pressing an F-key.

Just a suggestion to make life easier 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my particular workflow, having exported files in a particular folder structure is extremely important. This is synced to other computers. I wouldn't need this as much in a non-business setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes... There should be options, as I suggested in the original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any update on this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1) "Export assets to the location of the current document",

2) "Ask where to export each time" and,

2) "Export files to an assets folder next to the current document"

Number 2 would, I assume, default to the last folder used.

This is what I want to see! I'm used to Premiere and it defaults to the project location, which is what I need 99% of the time.

Since other people have other needs, this 3-options idea seems the most optimal

Votes

Translate

Translate