Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Remove Tool and RAM usage

Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I don't know if it's a normal behavior, but when I use the new "Remove Tool", my memory usage is going crazy : In the task manager it takes 20Go of RAM, and it takes 18Go more on my scratchdisk.
Even if I do teeny strokes on an white layer.
Here is a video (2min) link to show the PS usage, the task manager, and explorer for the scratchdisk (SSD).

https://youtu.be/qToMtrUmm-0

I tried to use all the others tools, and the RAM usage is "normal". For example : 50 clicks with spot removal and photoshop uses only 5Go RAM, and 0Go scractchdisk.

Is it normal ?

Thank you !

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
52 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to my previous findings I sometimes get message that Photoshop could not complete the function when using the Remove Tool.

I had tried disabling the on board Intel HD graphics 630 GPU so leaving only the Nvidia M2000 GPU working but this made no difference.

Found an Adobe video on forcing Photoshop to use the GPU card by going into 'Grapics Settings' in Windows 10, then browsing to the Photoshop .exe and then allocating it to high performance (in my case M2000 GPU) via the 'options' button. Then repeating the process with sniffer.exe from the same folder as photoshop.exe and allocating to high performance via the 'options' button. Unfortunately this did not make any difference. I found another video that had the same method as in the Adobe video but had an extra step namely allocating the 'PhotoshopPrefsManager' to the M2000 GPU also. To my surprise this did appear to cure the problems with the Remove Tool however I found that the GPU had problems opening any raw files.

At this point I decided to check if Nvidia had released an updated driver for the Quadro M2000 (in my previous report here I  was using their then current driver) and found they had just released an updated driver. I found installing this driver cured the problems with the Remove Tool and I was able to open Raw files. I removed  'PhotoshopPrefsManager' from the 'Graphics Settings' and found the Remove Tool continued to function correctly and raw file operation was still OK. One other point I found certain functions in Camera Raw worked better in particular the new 'Lens Blur' feature which was much more stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 11, 2024 May 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried using the PSUserConfig.txt way to force PS not to use Windows Ink but no change... But I found another interesting thing. If I turn off the button on the toolbar that says "Always use pressure for size" I don't get these hangs and the memory climbing until all the Ram on the pc is used. So I can't use pen pressure but that's kinda the point of using a pen, to be able to use pressure and tilt. 

Votes

Translate

Translate