Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Sampling lag and stutter with either clone stamp or healing brush

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

After updating to PS 22.0 on windows 10, i am experiencing big lag and stutter while sampling with either clone stamp or healing brush. This lag goes away once i uncheck show overlay in clone source tab group, but this is not a solution as i am disabling a usefull tool functionality. Any ideea what might cause this?

My PC

intel i7 10700K

nvidia RTX 2060 Super 8gb

32 gb ram 3000mhz

gigabyte z490 elite oc mobo

samsung ssd m.2 970 EVO

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Yessss, FINALLY! Confirmed.....same here. Update 22.4 solved the problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
53 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using PS CS6 and am having the exact same problem so you're not alone.  Adobe should get it's sh*t together and fix this so we can get what we paid for!  I even bought a new tablet, thinking my old one was defective.  NOPE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,
i got exactly the same problem in any Photoshop 2021 Version at Windows 10. I don't have any problems like this in Photoshop 2020.

Now i have a new DELL PC with 32 GB RAM, GeForce RTX 3070, Intel i7 10700 CPU and the issue is still there.... 

Its really bad to work with this issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now looking at your specs Christian, one can only come to the conclusion that your specific setup and power should be more than enough to handle anything that Photoshop can throw at it, but it doesn't!  For me, the lag seems to happen after PS has been running for awhile and the only way I've found to deal with this is to shut it down and restart the program.   My thinking is that somewhere, PS is latching onto memory and not releasing it for further use and as a result, begins to struggle with even the most basic tasks.  I've looked at real time memory usage when the problem arose and found that PS is using a huge amount of available memory.  I may be wrong, but I think that's where the problem lies.  I'd be curious to see if anyone has also looked at this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

After so much frustration and things that I tried, I think i found the problem here.

I did the following, went into Preferences / Performance / Advanced Settings for graphics processor. There i unchecked "Use graphics processor to accelerate compution" and it seems at first glance that the problem is odly solved, or better yet, solved'ish. You can also try unchecking "Use native sysem GPU acceleration". Drawing mode is set to advanced, cache lvls from 2 to 8 dont change much and cache tile size is 1024k.

I didn't have enough time to thoroughly test it. Let me know if you guys see anything different by doing this. 

It's crazy that it's been around 2 months and 5 or so updates later, and Adobe still didn't bother to look into this huge problem. Having such strong graphics cards and not being able to use them on predifined settings is plain awful. My build is listed higher up the list if you guys are interested. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying to my own comment here, after more testing and working with different files, including 8gb .psb of 17000x13000 pixels, the lag and stuttering is there. It also happens on 9000x6000 pixel images as you build up on layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you noticed the menu list flickering when you experience lag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Sarah, I think that was mentioned by someone else, but it's because the default hotkey to access the menu is "alt" which also is needed every time you use the clone stamp tool.  If there was just some way to change that to some other key, it would make trouble shooting this much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same issue with menu lagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's been two months sine last input but I gotta ask,

What's your windows magnification in display setting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cr3BG1XDN8

I usually have my Windows at 150% or 175% and

photoshop clone tool is laggy with "ruler" on

after setting the windows magnification back to 100% it's back to business as usual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDdYpbCNyiU

I've gone through several days, turned into a few weeks, to figure this out

and later was able to come to my conclusion with help of this blog

the result video I recorded may not be obvious but it's million ways better than the stutter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. My windows scaling is set to 100%. That does not seem to be the root of my probles. Been so long since i started this thread that i've given up. After so much wasted time thinking i finnaly found a solution, nothing actually really worked, it goes back to it's stutter while pressing alt, especially when I am zoomed in high resolution images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ugh, sorry my comment didn't pan out.

guess it's up to Adobe, whether they intend to or by happy accident,

to somehow fix the internal code for you.

my saying so may not mean not much to you, but, best of lucks to you on finding the solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GUYS, i solved the problem:
- In Windows, go to "Device Manager", disable internal graphic-driver. 
- Start newest Photoshop version, go to "Edit" - "Preferences" - "Performance" and check if Graphic-processor is used.

I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yWTIkxZHXM

So, my issue with laggy clone tool is now solved! YEAH! Thanks so Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please try it with large documents, like 6000px or more? Because I don't have that option in device manager and with large documents the problem is there.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you only have one graphic-card listed in device manager? hmm..
I work with raw and psd files since over 2 hours without any problems. my files are over 8000px lenght

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I only have one card listed (it's a 1070ti, drivers updated).

I usually work with tiff files, I doubt the filetype is the culprit but I might give it a shot.

Also, what settings are you working with? "current and below", "all layers", "current layer"?

How many layers do you have in your document?

My apologies for so many question, I'm just eager to find out what's the problem..

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the rtx 2060 super oc and the stutter is still there, almost 6 months later, working on 8000+ pixel images with few to many layers. Nothing that i tried till now really worked, except for unchecking show overlay, which i don't consider being a solution. 

Also it's even more laggy if you zoom in past 100% in the image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mihaiudrn I checked "Auto Hide" in the "Clone Source" panel and, at least when I brush, it's a little bit more responsive (because it hides the source temporarily).

But yes, it's still laggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Christian Schranner  
I have GPU recognized properly in Photoshop,..... in Device Manager only that GPU (GTX 1070), nothing else....and still laggy. 

So after more than a half of the year Adobe leaves that horrible bug unsolved! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

before i solved it with disable the second graphic card, i always used fullscreen-mode while retouching (by press "F" two times). in this screen mode i dont had any problems with laggy photoshop.

maybe try this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed going full screen solves it. Still not a solution tho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Christian Schranner DUDE!!!  I've been struggling with this damned lag problem for a few years now and your suggestion worked for me!  I went into Device Manager and realized that I had both my Nvidia GT730 and onboard graphics cards working together and when I disabled my motherboard graphics driver...POOF!   Gone is the lag!  The litmus test was leaving photoshop running in the background for an hour or so, coming back to restart my editing and it is still working like new....smooth and absolutely no lags!  Not sure if this applies to a lot of you, but I'm sure it will help a lot of folks out there who may be having this sort of problem with PS and other programs as well.   Thanks Christian!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am coming with an update on this thread, after updating to the latest version, Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.4.0 20210512.r.195 5b318a5  x64, the lag seems to have disappeared. Still testing it out, but working on 100%-200% zoon in 9000k+ pixel images that have many layers seems pretty fluent right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yessss, FINALLY! Confirmed.....same here. Update 22.4 solved the problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for confirming the fix.  We still have a bug where the Preview severely lags if Rulers are enabled - we're working on a fix for that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work for me. I have Photoshop 23.2.1 and get the exact same lag when holding ALT down while tryinng to use the stamp tool.. Very annoying and hard to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate