• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

working on Catalina OS. saving file extension works now but does not save over jpg when saving it creates a copy which is annoying and time consuming to fix

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 834 Replies 834
834 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Together with this issue, broken windowing that stops working which switching monitors, and constant crashes in color picker, text tool, nudge tool... I've decided to go back to using cc2019 which seems to have the stability we want?

cc2020 didn't bring any major features that helped my use-case so I'm more than happy to use more stable software. (I'm thankful to adobe for at least letting us run 2019 side-by-side for those who have production tasks, not just free time to 'beta test' their 2020 version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop seems playing deaf about the complaints of the people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly!! Thank you Liam What a pain in the arse this is, not to mention the piles of clutter of similarly named files it leaves on my drive. Frankly, I am disappointed with Adobe across the board. Lots of hangs and crashes on all programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thankful to adobe for at least letting us... 'beta test' their 2020 version
This is exactly how I feel. And paying a subscription fee to do so. #frustrated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need a Super Dumb!TM hack, I've just started naming every single file with a " copy" at the end of it and photoshop overwrites things just the way I expected it to.
It's absolute garbage, but since the client will never see these files I'm in the clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative workaround there, Philip. Too funny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, I thought of that one too, but man, I HATE seeing a copy at the end of a file name, it looks like an accident or it was unintentional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL. A+ for creativity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you all. Not overwriting the existing file when I tell it to, then saving another file with "copy" appended is ridiculous. I was already annoyed by how cumbersome it was to save a file without "copy" being appended, but at least it would show in the Save As dialog box before actually saving. Now it doesn't even show you, it just does it. Adobe needs to stop catering to first-time users with these types of "fool-proofing" features and take better care of long-time, professional users. We're not idiots. And they're wasting our valuable time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is dumb. I'm going to start contact Adobe on a daily basis until someone competent can actually explain why this is happening. Just got this email back today:

Hi,

As discussed, the feature which you had trouble with is by design for the mac's.Unfortunately we do not have any written document for the same.

I also understand that it must be really frustrating when things don't work the way you want.

One simple method is to duplicate the document first by using Image > Duplicate. So when you then save it as a jpeg, you can just close the jpeg document window after it has finished saving, and the original layered file will still be open.
Don't forget to save your original document as a PSD if you want to work on it in future. Jpegs can't contain layers, and you can't recover the layers from a jpeg.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this is by design, then it's still broken because the application is not doing what it tells me it is going to do. (And if this is Mac only, can we get this "feature" added to Windows so we can annoy the other half of the community?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> (And if this is Mac only, can we get this "feature" added to Windows so we can annoy the other half of the community?)>

ROFL

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done the same. CC 2020 is useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this "by design" for Apple users only? It's never worked this way prior to this release, contradicts what their save dialog says, and is just plain stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started happening to me yesterday. I noticed the some of the JPEGs I was working on had unusually large file sizes, so to purge unwanted data I used EXPORT > SAVE FOR WEB > JPEG (rather than just SAVE AS). This fixed the file size issue but seems to have caused this 'copy' bug. It was working fine before that.
I'm running MAC OS 10.15.3 and Photoshop 21.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty sure this "official" answer is wrong "by design" for Mac subscription slaves. Adobe: You'll eat it and you'll like it. Patently ridiculous that the same function works on a Mac with "Save for web." LOL sorry Mac users wanting to "save as" and "Replace" that TIFF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so disappointed right now, 21.1.1 still has this MAJOR issue and there have been 3 updates to PS. It's not funny at all Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i found a work around to this and this is prob the way adobe wants you to save your jpegs. instead of save as, choose export as (command, option, shift, w) and then it doesn't create a copy and will save over the existing jpeg. you also don't have to flatten the file either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's insane!  "by design" - who's design?  Patrick from spongebob?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine that file size discrepancy is Photoshop saving a psd with a jpeg file format.  That happens to me all the time.  -_-  The 'copy bug' is so much of a pain I've rolled back to CC19 - I'd rather deal with halide bottlenecks than this mess.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice find.  You could change the keybinding for export as to cmd+s to get around that awful shortcut too 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaron, the bug is not only for web format image, but Tiff, which you can't save with the "export as" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest Photoshop update fixes this bug :).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm holding my breath in anticipation as the update downloads...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having the same issue here. Not sure what is different for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what is different for you as I'm still having the same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate