• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

working on Catalina OS. saving file extension works now but does not save over jpg when saving it creates a copy which is annoying and time consuming to fix

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 834 Replies 834
834 Comments
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I just stumbled upon a workaround fix!! If you use the "Save For Web" feature it seems to actually overwrite the file rather than saving it as a copy.  Let me know if this works for you!!

File > Export > Save for Web

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21.0.3 seems to have fixed the copy bug!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did the 21.0.3 update, and it didn't change a thing for me.  Still making copies instead of overwriting/replacing files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, it doesn't. At least not for me and the bug isn't mentioned in the release note either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah so excited when I saw this comment thinking this PITA could be over, but sadly not ... STILL NOT FIXED ... argh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it started adding  copy to the file name again. I hate you Adobe. I hate you so much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it didn't do it ONE time, so I got overly excited. I hate you Photoshop. I really hate you Adobe. If I could find a good substitute for Lightroom, Illustrator, and InDesign, I'd kick you to the curb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has completely screwed our workflow and has cost us thousands of dollars. How has this still not been resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking to see if anyone's got a better workaround. I only just switched to 2020. In fact, I held on to CS5 as long as possible, because I actually owned CS5 and didn't have the money-grubbing scumbags at Adobe reaching into moy pocket every month. But Catalina doesn't support CS5, so I had to grudgingly upgrade, and so far 2020 is *maddening*.

Every single time I have to overwrite a file (which I do a few dozens times a day), I deliberately tell Photoshop to overwrite, it tells me it's overwriting, but instead it creates a second file with "copy" in the name. So I have to manually delete the original and then rename the new file. A few dozen times a day. And I'm paying them every month for the rest of my life for the privilege! I'm about ready to find Adobe's headquarters and burn it to the ground.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mikevago read the comment right above yours - it has a workaround!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hilaschurr a good workaround if you need web file format, but not useful for Tiff, which we rely on for InDesign imports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good point!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem in photoshop last update and catalina so adobe plz fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Outrageous behavior by Adobe. It's been over 3 months... They just don't care about their customers. Pity. This used to be a reliable Software Maker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been having the same problem lately (NO it wasn't always like this!!) and it drives me insane!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doubt it will do any good what-so-ever, but just adding myself to the growing list of increasingly frustrated users with this issue. I honestly can't think of ONE good excuse for this to not have been corrected IN 3 MONTHS. I'm with Laura, if I could find a decent substitute I would be done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has any ever noticed or seen this message "File must be saved as a copy with this selection" and the same icon next to layers. But there's nothing you can deselect or change. It seems like it's telling you it will be a copy but doesn't give you an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just sent the wrong file to a client. It's my fault, but come on adobe! This should be fixed. Not only is it costing me time but it will most likely cost me a client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good work around if you are working with in that same folder, but when jumping from project to project you have to dig back into the exact directory you want the file saved to each time, rather than it going to the directory in which the original file was created. There's gotta be a fix for this 🙂 Your tip will help workaround it for now. Thanks Hila.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and also I could not change or select.  I think it must be part of the same glitch.  But I wonder why Adobe is taking so long to fix it.  When saving, I now have to find the original and delete it so that PS will save as a jpg. and not a copy...  or save it as a copy, find the original, delete it and then change the name of the copy to the name without copy.  Very frustrating and very time consuming.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's too bad. They really need to get this fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Catalina 10.15.3, no change in behavior, so the update did not fix this on Apple's side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, fix this.  There's no stupid little cloud feature that anyone wants more than this major productivity waster.  Your software causes errors in our work.  You might as well be Corel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Googled this issue as I thought I was going mad.  Glad its not just me, but really Adobe, its a simple problem that can lead to larger issues with the wrong JPGs floating around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to macOS Catalina 10.15.03, and the bug in Adobe Photoshop 2020 still occurs, when you want to overwrite files while saving. My Photoshop version is 21.0.3. I've created a short video, which demonstrates the bug. This bug causes a lot more working time on routine tasks. Adobe, please fix this as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate