• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Select and Mask Workspace preview selection tools

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Select and Mask Workspace an update of a selection made with any Tool (Quick Selection, Refine Edge Brush, Brush, Object Selection or Lasso) is NOT showing in the following Views: Onion Skin, On Black, On White, On Layers. In the Views Marching Ants, Overlay, and Black and White it is showing (MacOS Catalina 10.15.7)

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

I updated to 22.4.2 today and the issue is resolved for me.  Mac OS Big Sur 11.4

Votes

Translate

Translate
61 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super helpful comment Dave — thank you.

Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow-up: I tried reverting to older Photoshop versions, namely 22.3.1, 22.3, 22.2 and the problem was still there. Very strange! I also have found that if I zoom in a lot in the Select and Mask window, the Onion Skin starts appearing! If I zoom out too much then the Onion Skin disappears.

Hope this bug gets fixed soon 🤞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Photoshop 2021 Release 22.4.1 on MacBookPro 13" M1 with macOS Big Sur 11.3.1. After several attempts at all that was indicated in this forum (and on different computers), it really seems to be an issue related to the 22.4.x release, no matter what the OS, hardware, preferences or settings are.

Surprisingly enough, it does work as long as "Select and Mask" is activated in the first place, on a layer without any prior selection or masking. Far from being an ideal workflow, it then stops working when the function is called again, on a pre-existing mask.

As a workaround, other than stepping back to the previous release, one might click on the "Select" menu, then "Select and Mask" while pressing the Shift key: the old "Refine mask" dialog then pops up, which is still working, albeit lacking the new functions.

Bottom line: please Adobe get this fixed, as soon as possible. The new tools are great and I can't wait to use them again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select and mask won't show your work as your using it. Only see the results once you close the select and mask work window. Contacted you guys and was told to downgrade and wait. Wondering if the issue has been fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exact issue and alot of my workflow relies on isolating assets and swapping views as I mask is extremely time consuming and the quality of isolation once ive even done that has degraded. how do I downgrade? and what version is last I can downgrade to to make sure I can continue my work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems select and mask is broken (again) in the latest PS version.

nothing happens in the select and mask windows. but when i click OK then changes are applied.

but nothing happens in the select and mask window when using the brushes or pushing sliders.

it worked before an i did not change my windows 10 system or upgraded my GPU etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i only see something happening when using the black and white view mode.

of course i can not work this way.

really how long until adobe hires someone who actually knows how to code GPU acceleration?

every new version something with GPU support is broken. liquify, select and mask or some other stuff.

no other graphic software i use has so many GPU issues.

and adobe is 2D stuff, simple pixel manipulation compared to other software.

i run 3D software that does way more in terms of GPU processing and runs fine with OpenCL and Cuda.

get your stuff together.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, mask "real-time refinement" disabled. Win 10.

The native canvas workaround did help. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html
i went back to 22.0.0 as the one 22.3.x still didn't work for some reason.  at 22.0.0  it's working for me now.  i'll just wait for the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i went back to 22.0.0 and it works now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dramenon That doesn't work. What else can I do to be able to use the Select and Mask properly again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Wilson have you tried using previous versions? Im using 22.2 and for Select and Mask that works well  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Select and Mask..." previews no longer working correctly for me from the View pull down, any changes not previewed in some modes. For instance: "Overlay" will preview changes, on black or white won't, Black & White does, On layers won't. I use these all the time and they suddenly stopped working even after multiple restarts. Currently in these non-working modes, the preview remains static, only showing the current layer's mask, no matter what changes I make to the sliders, while for several of them, the preview works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in...same issue for me on 22.4.1 on Windows. Been battling it with for days....resetting preferences etc. So frustrating.

posts on the Adobe forums ( and a reply from employee) led me here.

Any ETA on the fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been aknowledged as an issue...there is a bigger thread already active ( i know ive got the same problem!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the reply I got on the Adobe forums

We're sorry about the trouble with Select and Mask in Photoshop 22.4.1. Would you mind confirming if you are talking about the live preview not working while using Select & Mask? If yes, this is a known issue with Photoshop 22.4 & 22.4.1 & our product team is working on a fix. For some users resetting the preferences has helped. If that didn't help in your case, you can roll back to the previous version of Photoshop using the steps suggested here: https://adobe.ly/2wH0JjE

Please uninstall the latest version of Photoshop first & select the option to Keep Preferences prior to installing the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are able to reproduce the problem in house. We are sorry for the delay but the issue will be addressed in an update, stay tuned...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am experiencing this exact problem and have run many, many tests.  Some findings:

- Problem happens with Windows 10 Pro ver 20H2, 21H1, it happens on clean installs, ie just Windows and just PS.

- All the BIOS have been updated, all the drivers have been updated

- I tried this on desktops and on laptops, on PCs with build in graphics, with dedicated ATI and NVidia cards, it always happens

- My oldest PC (Core i5-3rd gen, NVidia GT620) is running PS 22.0 and it still happens.  Strange on that PC, it was working a few months ago.

_ I tried PS v22.3, 22.4, 22.4.1, the problem is the same on all versions, on all hardware

The brushes work as can be seen in the tiny thumbnail, but not in the preview.  It does work with the View set to Black & White.

Strange other findings:

Sometimes, I can get it to work but never consistently.  I tried Select and Mask at the top toolbar, I tried resetting the preferences.  On the RARE occasion, it works, but I cannot close PS and the reopen PS and get it to work twice in a row.

I tried PS 2020 (ie version 21.x) and there is works perfectly all the time!

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced this exact issue and I did many many tests.  Here are some of my findings:

- The version of Windows doesn't matter:  Windows Pro 64 bit ver 20H2, ver 21H1, a clean install on a new disk with just Windows 10 Pro and just Photoshop (ie no antivirus or any other program that might interfere)

- All PCs had their BIOS updated and later OEM drivers installed, same for Windows updates

- I tried this on many PCs from desktops ranging from Core i5-3rd gen to Core i7-10th gen, from laptops with build in graphics as well as dedicated graphics, the problem is always there

- I tried Photoshop 22.0, 22.3.x, 22.4.x and all have this issue

- In PS 2020 (ver 21.x) is works perfectly

- This brushes work as seen in the tiny thumbnail, but don't work in the big preview

- The brushes work in the preview IF, the view is set to Black and White

I did, on the rate occasion, get the preview working, but I could never get it working twice in a row.  I tied documenting what worked, but there is never any pattern and it RARELY works.  Sometimes, if I click on select and mask at the top toolbar (instead of in the panel at the RHS), it might help, I tried clearing the preferences, uninstall/reinstall, tried the latest trial version (I am guessing that is most up to date) but it doesn't work.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to 22.4.2 today and the issue is resolved for me.  Mac OS Big Sur 11.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It now works for me, too. Big Sur 11.4

Well done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the latest version of PS 2021 (ver 22.4.2) and it appears to fix the Select and Mask preview problem!  A big thanks to the Adobe team!

I have only tested it on my best 'test' PC (Intel Core i7-10th gen, 16G ram, super fast NVMe drive in an Intel NUC10 tiny case) but so far, it looks fixed!

Strange though, my main PC (Core i5-3rd gen, 8G ram, Windows 10 v20H2 and updates disabled) is running PS ver 22.0.0, the original version and was never patched or updated.  That worked from last fall until around a month ago.  That's when I learned about PS ver 22.4.  I never touched my main PC.  I installed v22.4, 22.4.1, 23.x and even 22.0.0 on another PC and on the other PC, I couldn't get anything to work.  I tried everything (Win10 ver20H1, 21H1, clean installs, different graphics cards).

Then strangely, on my main (original PS 2021 v22.0.0) things magically started working?!!  I reformatted my test PC but couldn't get anything working.

Yesterday, I installed 22.4.2 on my test PC and things are working again.  I am reluctant to touch my main older PC.

As an engineer, I learned long ago, "If it isn't broken, DO NOT FIX it!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad they're working for you again! Thanks for following up to let us know.

Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome and thanks for fixing it. 🙂

Strange that on my main PC (PS ver 22.0.0) worked until a few weeks ago.  Then all of a sudden it didn't work.  I researched the bug and 'sometimes' had a sequence that worked but I could never duplicate success twice in a row.  On a newly reformatted PC with just Win10Pro-64 ver21H1 and just a clean trial direct from Adobe, I could never get it working.  On that new PC, I tried ver 22.0.x, 22.3.x, and 24.4.0 and 24.4.1 and nothing worked.

Even weirder, my main PC with an older Windows 10 (20H2) with tons of other apps (anti-virus, anti-spyware, Office, etc.) started working perfectly again!??  On that PC, I disabled all auto-updates.  I never want Microsoft to install updates that force Edge, Candy Crush, Bing, etc. on users, plus if you leave Microsoft to configure 'recommended settings', you will send Microsoft all your info (web sites you visit, your location, whatever you type in cortana, etc.)

For those interest in minimizing Microsoft from spying on you and then selling that info, check out OOShutup10 (https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10).

Full disclosure:  I am a Microsoft partner for decade as well as a shareholder.  Do I trust them? Absolutely NOT, but I like how their stock performs in my retirement plan 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select 'Select and Mask' the panel opens for a milisecond and closes immediately. Has anyone else experienced this?

Votes

Translate

Translate