Yesterday I found out that you can displace Smart Objects via the marquee tool. This makes for an interesting effect, but it seems it is not permanent. As soon as you open the Smart Object and make any change to it, the displacement is lost.
- create a new image
- create a marquee selection, fill it with any color to generate a rectangle
- convert the layer to a smart object
- use the marquee tool to create rectangular selections on top of the smart object and use the cursor keys to displace the smart object (it does not work when moving the selection with the mouse)
- open the smart object, make any change and save it again
- the previously applied displacement is lost
Is this even intentional behavior? It would be great if the effect was permanent.
I see your point, and I was able to reproduce the issue. This is actually a caching issue where the slice/partial content of the SO should not be modified, i.e. not moving/transforming. I filed a bug regarding this issue. Furthermore I was able to reproduce this as far back as Ps 22.5.9.