• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Spring-loaded tool feature is misbehaving

Participant ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey some of us had sound out this issue almost 2 years ago with the "feature" on the original feedback forum that had now been closed. Almost a year had past since one of your colleague claimed to have put in a "feature request ticket", and there are still no fix nor update on the progress. 

Again I want to emphasis that this is no longer a feature request (that your colleague had suggested) but a bug as it's not performing in the way it's supposed be.

For a quick reminder to the problem. It's way too sensitive, I estimate a rough 20-30% of the time I switch to another a tool, the feature will activate, and without me hitting the shortcut key, the tool will switch back to the previously used tool. 

In the time since I noticed this issue, I had change and tested with 3 different keyboards, changed my PC, upgraded the hardwares, and move from Windows 7 to 10. Gone through all the photoshop updates, and yet nothing had change, the issue stayed. 

And meanwhile photoshop had introduced plenty of features in between but there was not a single update concerning this issue. So for god sake, can you guys do something about it? 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Please try the following new control to customize the spring-loading sensitivity time as per your use-case:

Photoshop Preferences > Tools > Spring-loaded Tool shortcuts

• Check if the checkbox is unchecked
  • The time value above reflects the time for which a key needs to be pressed to enable the spring-loaded feature
  • Keep the time value above to a large value (e.g. 2000 which means that a key needs to be pressed for 2 seconds for spring-loading to activate for it)

Unchecking this checkbox will com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 176 Replies 176
176 Comments
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually tried different timing, from the recommended 100-300, to 1000-3000, even 10000

Nothing work, it still spring back to the previous tool completely randomly. I am gonna start a new thread, as this thread is currently marked as "fixed" and probably wouldn't get attention from Adobe's staff because of it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you all updated to 23.4.1? I just noticed this appear as available and will skip it if this is the case! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed I'm still on 23.3.2 and 23.4 claims to have a 'fix' for spring loaded key problems. Could be the source of new problems. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine just auto updated, and all the spring-loaded issues started returning again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try disabling the manual fix entirely and then restart PS? If that doesn't work then what happens if you reset preferences and restart it again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yah, I read that update too. And seriously hope that, it's not some engineer rolling back the fixes for this issue, to fix the other issue. This is just lazy, we spent years trying to raise concern, and just as we thought we finally get a decent fix, this happened. 

Anyway I started a new thread here for the new issues, considering the issues we brought up here was considered "fixed", so these new issues should be consider a new set of bugs. So pile in there and rise the awareness again. This is getting ridiculous and I am glad I haven't recommend photoshop to any newcomers to the digital painting field recently.
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/spring-loaded-tool-feature-is-misbehaving-ag...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yikes, glad I blocked auto updates years ago. Thanks for making a new thread, I ll follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.4.1 on normal photoshop, 23.5 also has the issue as well in beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the following new control to customize the spring-loading sensitivity time as per your use-case:

Photoshop Preferences > Tools > Spring-loaded Tool shortcuts

• Check if the checkbox is unchecked
  • The time value above reflects the time for which a key needs to be pressed to enable the spring-loaded feature
  • Keep the time value above to a large value (e.g. 2000 which means that a key needs to be pressed for 2 seconds for spring-loading to activate for it)

Unchecking this checkbox will completely disable the spring-loaded tools feature.

Using this you can have the capability of a more fine-grained control over the spring-loaded feature from the UI itself, and you can also modify it within the same Ps launch itself.

Please let us know the behaviour after performing aforementioned changes. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow thank you so much, can't believe I missed that it was added into the preferences menu. Worked perfectly after I adjusted it up from the default, having no issues now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I didn't even know this was added into the preference!

Thanks I disabled it, and it work fine now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally! Now i can turn this awful feature off and be done with it forever

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this annoying issue on Windows 10 Pro 21H2 19044.1889 and Photoshop 23.4.1 release and managed to fix it.

Most commonly, while on Move tool, I couldn't switch to the Text tool by pressing the T hotkey. Every time I would press T, it would revert back to the move tool after a fraction of a second. To actually use the Type tool, I would have to select it by clicking the type tool icon in the toolbar on the left, or by double clicking the Type layer.

The confusing part was that it would happen often, but not all the time. Sometimes, the spring-loaded feature worked fine. I now think I know why, see below for a possible lead.

To fix the issue, I went to Preferences > Tools > Spring-loaded Tool Shortcuts and changed the Timing Sensitivity value from 200ms to 300ms. Everything works normal now.

I verified that was indeed the issue by changing the value back to 200ms and the problems reappeared.

POSSIBLE REASON: I wonder if this could be related to the performance of the computer which may need that additional time to switch to or load all the type tool options specific to a font. 

For example if I leave the Timing Sensitivity to 200ms (which causes issues for me) and then in the Type tool options bar at the top I select a font that only has one style available, everything works fine.

But if I select a font that has multiple font styles, like Segoe UI with 12 font styles (Light, Semiligh, Bold, Italic, etc.), the problems reappear. So by increasing the timing sensitity value by a 100ms, I am giving the computer that small additional time to load everything it needs. It's possible you will need to experiment with a higher value, depending on your specific scenario (computer speed/performance and number of fonts and font styles).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an easy fix I came up with.
Just go to Photoshop --> Preferences --> Tools 

and you should see a feature called Spring-loaded Tool Shortcuts towards the bottom of tle list.

Just change the Timing Sensitivity from 200 to 675 miliseconds and you should be good to go 😉 

It worked for me and it's been driving me nuts for a while.

Hope it helps! 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For everyone where  a simple unchecking didn't help:
Go to Edit>Keyboardshortcuts> Under the Keyboardshortcuts tab remove the hotkey B or E for Eraser and Brush tools you dont use.
It wont switch again now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for sharing! This problem has been bugging me for ages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankfully they implemented the ability to turn off spring loaded tool in version 23.1 — about 2 years after I posted the thread here.

I believe that an issue with the laptop keyboard was contributing to the problem. It seamed like everytime I typed a vowel, it would double type. Apple knew of the problem — the keyboards on that generation were very thin and any debris/dust etc would cause this. They offered a fix even if Applecare had lapsed. It did get better for me when they replaced the keyboard along with the top board and speakers on the laptop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see I'm logged in with my work account. WildOGpizza is my personal account btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It somehow just got turned on recently for me.  Been bugging the bejeebers out of me! I never wanted this functionality.  Trying to edit type and it pops back to another tool... ARRRR!  Thanks you made my day.

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tomek, I can not express how helpful your easy fix is. But on behalf of my sweet dear keyboard and all people in a range closer than 200 ft. of my workspace that I have been blaming for this tool-change-horror I say: thanks! You made my day (and that of my sweet dear keyboard and all people in a range closer than 200 ft. of my workspace) Kind regards,

Job - Studio Monnikenwerk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. This has been bugging me for quite a long time. I can't adequetly express how grateful I am for this fix! Thank you, Tomek!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,