P: Surface Dial Brush Menu not Working with Photoshop 2022

5 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the recent update of Photoshop I'm having an issue with my Surface Dial's function in the app. The brush menu isn't working, if I select the brush icon my on screen dial becomes temporarily transparent and then disappears without pulling up the secondary brush menu which allows for brush size, opacity etc to be selected and controlled by the dial. I use these functions constantly in my work flow so it is certainly annoying although not impossible to work around. The dial seems to be functioning normally outside the app and can still for example control volume level or zoom in and out, but the primary function I use it for is brush control; particularly brush size. Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this? 

I have tried:

Unpairing and repairing the Surface Dial to the computer.

Removing batteries to reset the device.

Resetting the computer and resetting Photoshop.

I am using the ~spaces plugin work around to prevent touchscreen crashes that came with the new update.

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021
Sorry, I had to confirm with another product manager whether this was intentional and whether it would be coming back. See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2022.html Deprecating support for Surface Dial For technical reasons, Photoshop v23.0 and above will no longer support Microsoft's Surface Dial. To learn more, see Microsoft Dial support in Photoshop.
Status Won't fix

Votes

Translate

Translate
8 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I'd just pop back in here to follow up. I worked with customer support and ultimately we just switched back to the previous version of Photoshop and the Dial is working fine. So if the Surface Dial is a big part of your workflow like it is for me, I'd just roll back to the previous version and turn off auto updates for a bit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems the Photoshop 2022 update lost the surface dial integration present in the previous verisons. Not fixed by today's "bug fix" update. Is this intentional, or a bug? (it will probably double my editing times)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, @Jeffrey Tranberry , while you're busy merging these, could you perhaps respond to the question if this is a bug, or intentional discontinuation of the dial support? Can we expect this functionality back or should we adjust our workflow to Adobe having deprecated our gear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems the solution is to revert to the Photoshop 22.x branch, until such time as Adobe sees fit to release a less regressed version of the 23.x branch. Neural filters looked nice, but when the price paid is doubling the time spent in workflow, those new features rapidly become "Whistles and bells".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I had to confirm with another product manager whether this was intentional and whether it would be coming back.

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2022.html

Deprecating support for Surface Dial
For technical reasons, Photoshop v23.0 and above will no longer support Microsoft's Surface Dial.

To learn more, see Microsoft Dial support in Photoshop.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging
Bug Won't fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for the answer. Adobe's actions here will certainly impact my future decisions regarding where I spend my money. It seems spending it on a company that on a whim decides to deprecate my hardware is rather risky. (It's not just the dial. It's the arrogance).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the "for technical reasons" explanation extremely vague. Especially when "see here for more info" from the what's new, results in the exact same sentence being repeated. That is NOT more info in my part of the world. It's also rather odd that this text was added several patchlevels into the release, not at the actual release where it broke. Given how you announced when integraton arrived, this looks a lot like an unintended consequence of a program library choice, not anything planned. Is there any reason to expect adobe not to break compatibility with other products like the loupedeck? Or should we read this "for technical reasons"-lack of explanation as "you really cannot expect any hardware you buy to make our user interface more efficient to remain compatible, we will break compatibility on a whim, and notify you after the fact" (because that is in essence what has happened here). Is there ANY reason not to expect "technical reasons" to break other things?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jeffrey, I think users that bought this hardware deserve more information than just 'because of technical reasons'. You just stopped supporting it abruptly. Please reason this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate