• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a layer and dragging a corner handle with the shift (or alt-shift) key pressed, the resize proportion isn't constrained. This started with this most recent update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019
With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 778 Replies 778
778 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Top menu: Folder Options: View Tab: look for “Hidden Files and Folders” : check Show hidden files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,
I did find the folder and created the file as you instructed above, but when I opened PS again, it didn't make any change to the new behavior. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm. Really? It should work.

Maybe recheck the spelling? Make sure it's a .txt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to be that to maintain proportional scaling, a user would hold the shift key while scaling. In Photoshop CC 2019 the proportional scaling is done without pushing anything, but now when you hold the Shift key it UNLOCKS proportional scaling.

To just change the scale tool to be backwards relative to how it has very literally always been without an easy way to change it back or any documentation the first time you use Photoshop CC 2019 is ridiculous. It shows that the people making the software don't actually use the software.

The fix is easy: Instead of making some one line script file, have an in-app toggle switch to allow for legacy scaling proportional.

I've been using Photoshop for 25 years, and this is absolutely 100% perplexing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is my biggest problem with 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone who wants this change needs to "Me Too" at the top of the page... that's how the requests get prioritized. I am not sure if merged pages add their "Me Too"s...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Merging does add up the Votes from the merged topic (but won't double votes if the same person votes on both the parent and merged doc - of that makes sense)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, that change was not needed for anything 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should let us choose the way we want to confirm changes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know votes are merged, I always thought we lose them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well they broke that rule a very long time ago and people adopted it as the norm. Now they are trying to fix what they fixed when it wasn't broken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a practical point this change makes sense... I teach new students and holding shift while constraining is just not natural because every app they use outside of Photoshop doesn't require holding shift.

BUT... The way Adobe implimented this shows their attitude and that they really couldn't care about existing users. They already have our money. They are only interested in getting new clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug. Maintain aspect ratio constrain link on the toolbar does not work in cc 2019.
Need to look at this bug also with the constrain link -

When you un-check the Maintain aspect ratio constrain link on the toolbar and then use transform it still maintains aspect ratio. . . un-checking the link should disable maintain aspect ratio shouldn't it? Well it doesn't.

Also shift key + transform disables Maintain aspect ratio but doesn't correspond with the constrain link on the tool bar. 
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just copied and pasted what you put above...
Well, guess I'm doomed to use the new setting until adobe fixes this stupidity.
I'll just have to get used to it.
Thanks anyway 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't remember it worked previously differently than till now. When it worked like now then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mostly I see people say other applications also use 'shift' as modifier that let keep proportions, and that I noticed it's true. Can you say names of those other application that is different? Normally it's like in was till now, but even if different then for sure not that all other applications had that way to do it, not even half of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Simple apps" like Powerpoint, Word etc don't use shift - just drag a corner and it keeps proportions. CorelDRAW / PhotoPaint also keeps proportions when using the corner handles. (Well used to when I used it before Adobe)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in those other apps when you hold shift you're getting free transform, so like now in CC2019? - fixed typo - moderator - 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol Kukurykus need to change shift word unless it's intentional
 . . .
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we were using shift back in the Quark Xpress days, also a lot of audio software, cad software, any program even using shift select - multiple selections are rarely made by default. In general shift is a function that skips manual steps or loose movement ie. constrain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we can all agree that there should be a preference toggle and the "Maintain aspect ratio" constrain link on the toolbar should function properly. Additionally, a popup blocker to notify users of these changes to default behavior and a checkbox in that dialog to set the preference is a MUST HAVE for future changes like this (and the "auto-select" feature of the move tool).

That said, the decision to flip the default behavior is not a bug. It's an inconvenience to retrain habits, but I know that I and a lot of others transform with constraints on far more (like, 90% of the time for me) than not, so for us, this is a workflow improvement. I will be not have to be constantly holding shift with my pinkey finger! Thanks Adobe!

Let's ask for a preference setting, fix the aspect-ratio button in the tool bar, and cut down on the "I can't believe..."s and "How could they..."s.

Will there be some initial frustration when we hold shift and the transform box goes all wobbly? Sure. What's the solution? Let go of the shift key. There are more disruptive and destructive bugs and changes that we can focus on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Max  there is a bug in the Maintain aspect ratio constrain link on the toolbar. It doesn't work. That needs to be addressed.

When you un-check the Maintain aspect ratio constrain link on the toolbar and then use transform it still maintains aspect ratio. . . un-checking the link should disable maintain aspect ratio shouldn't it? Well it doesn't.

Also shift key + transform disables Maintain aspect ratio but doesn't correspond with the constrain link on the tool bar. 

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug using the transform tool using CTRL+t.
Bug 1: The default is always ON for the maintain proportions option. Clicking the "locl proportions" button doesnt seem to work . The default used to be OFF.
Bug 2: SHIFT now does the opposite - it unlocks proportions while transforming. 

This happens after selecting part of a layer where some pixels are drawn ( it doesnt matter how you select them), when you enter transform mode using CNTRL+t.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree and I did mention that twice in my reply, though in-line with the other requests.
"...and the Maintain aspect ratio constrain link on the toolbar should function properly. " and "...fix the aspect-ratio button in the tool bar..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't aware of, but sounds good when someone likes to mold shapes from that kind of material. The only tools to transform that unproportionally are your hands and insensitve nose of course 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate