• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a layer and dragging a corner handle with the shift (or alt-shift) key pressed, the resize proportion isn't constrained. This started with this most recent update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019
With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 778 Replies 778
778 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new feature, use Shift to *un* constrain.  Constrain to fixed aspect is now on by default.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very handy to know before updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Particularly unnecessary since SHIFT is stilled used to constraint other things like brushes to a straight line and cropping. Retrain to not use SHIFT for only one tool (?) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think users should be informed of such a major change in one of the most used features of Photoshop?
This wastes time in retraining muscle memory for millions of users, and by the looks of things, you've failed to provide an easy way to turn this off.
It is baffling when these kinds of decisions are made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you dearly, John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's also inconsistent! I worked out quickly that constrained was the new default - sure, I'm ok with that as it is an attempt to standardize across apps - but then I go to resize something else and it requires the old key combo?!! Is there a bug where old documents or elements from old documents retain the old restraining defaults?! It's the only explanation I could come up with...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This is an absurd change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s also misleading. I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer, mouse, Wacom, etc. this change really blows. Also makes me appreciate Affinity Photo more and more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why? You could've just taken a quick glance at the "What's new" page.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I look for highlights when I have time. With CC I update to simply be current. I suppose this is a learning moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They added a warning message about the new way undo works but the proportional scaling muscle memory is just as burned in. In needed to be clearly mentioned like the undo change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!
(did you notice multiple undo is now just command + Z and no longer command + option + Z? I prefer the classic command + Z to quickly undo and redo the last change...oh well.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So like me, but you may at least change your shortcuts to have it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Traditionally, shift is used to constrain in several non-Adobe programs. I would think most software users have adopted that is a defacto command.

I hope this becomes a user preference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU.   It's been 24 hours of torture.   HOW does a major universal industry application like Photoshop arbitrarily reverse a SHIFT key functionality like that.   Holy smokes.   It was COMPLETELY changing my workflow last night.   15 years ... then overnight... mandatory functionality switch???

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The consensus in time will show this was a mistake by the development team.  If it were thought out and there was a good reason to change it then it would have been changed for other similar functions like scaling a crop, tool constraints, rotation etc. My bet is that they will reverse this by making it a preference to save face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least the undo is consistent with other apps behavior. The Scale behavior is now totally different than other apps, when going back and forth all day from PSD to Illust to Indesign I keep hoping they will be more alike.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe just HAD to be different, so they made it that you had to hold in Shift to constrain. Just about all other apps auto constrained and scaled based on the selection handle you scaled with. So all people started adopting Adobe's change... Now they introduce it as a "New Feature" instead of saying - sorry we messed up all these years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tracy. Yes John McAssey's manual fix works. But the PS team needs to hear us because a change can affect productivity across the whole PS user community effectively creating a massive loss of productivity worldwide. I know they understand this very well and take these things seriously. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is by far one of the most stupid and unnecessary changes!
They broke the most basic rule: Never fix what is not broken. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just made my month!! A friend dropped a drink on my laptop so I had to get a new one and then after getting my computer all setup my Adobe apps were all reset so it has been a nightmare!!! One minute I can't get shift to constrain, the next I can't get it to stop. Hallelujah for you!!

Also, why on earth did they not send a notification in the product to tell us this?! 😉

THANK YOU!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I am starting to be more aware of it when you click too far out of the transform bounding box, it stamps the change. It was only today that I realize I hate this after wanting to select all to rotate the entire image slightly.

Even if it's a tiny effort to have the cursor closer, these little things add up and are just annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm using Windows 10, and for some reason this folder you are talking about doesn't exist where you pointed. 
Any idea where to find it?
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate