• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a layer and dragging a corner handle with the shift (or alt-shift) key pressed, the resize proportion isn't constrained. This started with this most recent update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019
With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 778 Replies 778
778 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You meant in Quark Xpress and other apps shift worked like in CC 2018 or CC 2019?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only I'd like to have is the option to decide behaviour of that, so that was like now or before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@david tristram New feature ?!? Its not a feature, its a change. and its not change all across the program, shapes scale like before. Smart objects scale like before. Its just confusing an inconsitent. If you are going to force such a shortcut change on the users, at least do it on everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't prompt to that 😉 Better ask to make happy both groups of users. Option to disable / enable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team has not thing else to improve the software?
So that they are changing something to "pretend" they are improving the software?
So that they can justify the monthly fee?

Ridiculous, the "shift" key function was there for more than ten years and everyone is so familiar with this. For what reason the developers have to change it?

Similarly the "link" button between "H" and "W" is not working; even if I have disassociate the width and height, the transformation is still in the aspect ratio.

This update seriously sucks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team has not thing else to improve the software?
So that they are changing something to "pretend" they are improving the software?
So that they can justify the monthly fee?

Ridiculous, the "shift" key function was there for more than ten years and everyone is so familiar with this. For what reason the developers have to change it?

Similarly the "link" button between "H" and "W" is not working; even if I have disassociate the width and height, the transformation is still in the aspect ratio.

This update seriously sucks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also became aware of the same thing. . . even using the distortion has caused me grief. . I've wasted too much time and brain energy on CC 2019. I've gone back to 2018
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of fixing bugs I hated in CC 2018 (they moved them to CC 2019) now they introduce new ones that what's 'funny' are intended (problematic) behaviours 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first looked at the calender, this last update totally felt like the best April fools software prank ever intended. But no! It's a feature. Just forget your more than 10 years of experience! Throw aboard the fast way of working you are used to! Hey, you beloved power users out there, just shut up and make room for another classic "Adobe duh' move" where they pretend to know their people and try to sell us the most unintentional shiat possible - so everybody is raging about that, rather than the old and poor single core architecture of their software.

Adobe, you have all the eyes and ears in the world, why do you not just ask your community beforehand??? I can't understand software behemoths like this one... all they have to do is listen! What is this board good for anyways?!

Btw, there is a "back-to-legacy"-setting for every little thing BUT that one! WHY?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, John. I feel almost home again.

@oRi don't try to get used to it. It's like getting used to reverse driving! It should be all case sensitive so write it exactly as above... Maybe you installed PS / CC for all users? I believe then you need another user folder, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works like a charm in Affinity because they decided to constrain (logically) text AND photos. When I use photoshop to compose complexe pictures with shadows, lines and other shapes, all this suddenly becomes very tricky... For example, I had to manipulate large layers with black to transparent gradients, this has no sense to constrain this type of layer by default... 
-
And for sure, a toggle button would be really usefull... 
I'm always very very happy to work with homothetic transformed text  in Affinity Designer... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I mean that things like drag in a straight line, select multiple objects, rotate to angles - these kind of functions are rarely done by default in most software I've used. 

Shift is widely know as a constrain or multiple selection function. It is a convention. Open up a folder in Windows and click on several items in a list. Would you want to multiply select without shift.

I'm not arguing, I am only discussing this in principle - as it could be a slippery slope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop professionally since it first came out. That is a very long time to get used to doing something. Much longer than 10 years. I can understand defaulting it to being constrained, but couldn't you come up with another button to unconstrain other than the one everyone is used to using for constrain!! OMG. That is just absolutely stupid and short-sighted UX and product design. C'mon, you can do better than that. Worse yet -- I have to come to this forum to figure out the change!! Very poorly considered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate that I can't turn off uniform scale. Adobe, if you're listening. Turn free transform back to non-uniform scale! I HATE THAT I HAVE TO PRESS SHIFT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry -- I disagree. By those standards there is no such thing as designing a product for your existing users. No existing user is helped by changing an easy, learned and automatic behavior. It's like re-arranging the keys on a piano. Middle C is one key to the right now! So much more convenient! Thank you piano tuner for forcing me to re-learn my craft! If you want to default the constraint on, that's fine. Just don't use the traditional "constrain" key to unconstrain! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Adobe actively hate its users? Or is it just a joke to reverse the lock proportion in transforming (shift key)? Actually curious who thought this was a good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the new release (CC 20), scaling proportionally using the Shift key no longer works. When scaling you need to click "Maintain Aspect Ratio" button now, which is NOT good as some of the time you want to be able to transform freely and other times you want to keep the ratio - the Shift key was a nice feature that avoided having to hit that "Maintain Aspect Ratio" button every time you need to switch between free transform and keep ratio transform. PLEASE bring it back!!

And also when in the transform mode, the "center" is no longer visible. So when hitting the alt key to move the "rotation center" to another spot, it's no longer visible, so you don't know what you're rotating around...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read enough many theards from last 15 years on different forums about Adobe. Conclusion is they won't listen us about some stuff they want us to enforce to get used to. And that will happen for sure as they know majority of us has no choise and will use Photoshop the way that's beeing redesigned for making more money purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I understand. I have the same opinion. The example with selecting multiple files with no 'shift' was one of better I heard 😄 Such simplicity would kill the logic why modifier keys even exist. They are support for additional operations. If we revert it we're going to 'lose' time not on holding them, but thinking whether we should do that for certain action as now I see some operations need them while others inconsistently don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they just started with business we (users) had much more to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a month or so you don't even remember that you had to hold that key down in the past.
Not true - me and many other users changed this new behaviour back to that how that was for over 20 years. So you'll have 2 group of users, and that would be best option to respect all.

That is not light or dark leading theme of Photoshop users set like they want. But if you allowed us to have even four colours Photoshop is adjusted to, then what is problem to do the same with that what 'shift' should do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm scared of next AdobeMax! Everything looks so nice on there, but in practise that's something we wouldn't like to have. Like that was said. Focus on bugs they live from 5 - 10 years then try to implement some new features....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you reply for Max Johnson or mine comment? If mine the best for me would be like that was so far, till CC 2019 release, but I know half of users want it like it's now, so best is if these 2 kind of user groups could choose how they want 'shift' worked during their own session. I think that is possible by adding checkbox to preferences (even if that needed to restart Photoshop), don't you think so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm scared of next AdobeMax! Everything looks so nice on there, but in practise that's something we wouldn't like to have. Like that was said. Focus on bugs they live from 5 - 10 years then try to implement some new features....

Votes

Translate

Translate