• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a layer and dragging a corner handle with the shift (or alt-shift) key pressed, the resize proportion isn't constrained. This started with this most recent update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019
With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 778 Replies 778
778 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU for your post to disable the idiotic change sans legacy pref. 

​On Macintosh High Sierra 10.13.6, ​I did exactly as you detailed (copy/pasting the command, so it's case sensitive; checking for invisibles, none except the single space; etc.) 

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/PSUserConfig.txt
=> TransformProportionalScale 0

Quit/restart PS and no change.

​Any further wisdom to fix this maddening new behavior?​

###

OK, answering my own question. It took another hour of experimenting (locations, permissions, text file encoding, etc.), but HERE'S THE FIX (for Mac Users): the text file must be saved as a Unicode UTF-8 file. 

If it's a UTF-16 file (a more current version which some text editors default to), it won't work. 

And, it even supports comments if your start a line with a hashtag (eg, # Revert idiotic removal of shift key for proportional constraint changes by Adobe in PS CC 2019).

...Thanks to our PS internet village for sharing the wisdom. Fingers crossed that before changing a highly used function that is built into the muscle memory of tens (hundreds?) of thousands of experienced users, Adobe will include it as a Preferences checkbox!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've said this before. Old school is not the cool school. 

Old school is probably what Adobe built their fortunes on. Please respect the old school Adobe. You have a lot to learn from us. 

Thank you.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's easy for them to do that they want. When we are not users they have to make something we will like, but after they got your money and enforced for subscription they don't have to listen us - we are already in cage. If there was must to buy next Ps before our money was on their account they would do everything to encourage us to buy their product. That had to be really good, like that was in Creative Suite times. There's no campaign in monarchy to make everything we chose their Photoshop release. We're stuck in their kingdom, and I even suspect previous versions of Ps are not fully fixed before next one is beeing released as that would make people to not upgrade to newest one. Such brutal politics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This new "feature" is completly stupid, if you change this kind of things, do it well. If you transform a vector layer it's still the default behavior, so when you're on the new keyboard shortcuts, you have to know if it's a pixelised layer, you don't hold shift to get proportional transform, and if you're on a vector, you have to hold shift... It drove me totally crasy. Not to mention that in all other Adobe apps, it's still holding shift that is the dafault behavior (illustrator, indesign, etc.) Thanks for the tip with PSUserconfig file, it worked nicely, and I'm back to mental sanity

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a terrible change for my working habits, even more if you consider that the new defaults don’t apply to the transformation of paths and advanced objects. That introduces further chaos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree with the ones who want the possibility to switch back to the previous defaults for proportional / non-proportional transform.
Also the new "feature" auto-commit should have the option to switch back to the previous version: if I am transforming a selection with narrow opaque areas, if I click on it in order to drag it on the canvas, it’s very likely to click on a transparent pixel and to accidentally commit the transformation.
It can be a problem if it was an unfinished complex transformation, as I need to undo it and to start again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at there are differences also between transformation of Smart Objects, Text Objects and also Path Objects. And you have good point. When we switch to someone's computer the only reseting preferences wouldn't be enough. Normally that is some shortcuts are popular so we could handle Photoshop with that we met, but when within one program there are 2 kinds of methods to do the same for similar actions you feel like sitting to car you knew how to drive is like you are in airplane that is new vechicle for you, you have to learn how to make if fly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another great find - 'opaque areas' during rotation that makes it harder to use now than in previous releases. Forgive Adobe their beta testers went to vacation, all at the same time !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, this is pure stupidity. Especially when the whole change is added so poorly. You never know which kind of layers does what. Select multiple layers, how will it scale?, vectors, smart objects, fonts, its impossible to get used to how anything behaves. And the amazing thing also is that it change only to a few types of layers, and ONLY in Photoshop. It's either all in or nothing for such a change...I mean who comes up with these ideas? And this was one of the marque features presented at Max 2018. Its not a feature! its just a Keyboard shortcut change for crying out loud, forced upon users! And one single Official response here, which ignores all kinds of arguments laid out and just explains it as new feature, end of discussion...wow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why to release new Photoshop if there is almost no new Photoshop inside? Because people are stupid and they think if something is fresh it's something special so they have to get it!

Adobe killed themselves with this different objects transformation feature. You said something important. If we want to transofrm multiple (different) objects at once how we know should we hold 'shift' or not? Loll the most funniest comedy I was 'watching' ever!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is funny are people defending this SHIFT change. We used shift for decades and no one said anything. They change it and suddenly "my finger hurts from pressing shift" I am waiting to see what happens when they change the space bar for the hand tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you like comedy (well more of drama), you will like this thread about After Effects : https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/33836305-full-program-mult... Adobe doesn't care anymore about pro users. The important thing for them is to drag a lot of newbies with one click/no skills features. So when it comes to important things like multi-threaded video editing apps for their already paying users, they really doesn't care...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there was a Setup Assistant that ran on first launch and allowed a user to toggle these changes, this wouldn't be an issue. But changing defaults silently and letting users find them and be pissed off is just poor software design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there was a Setup Assistant that ran on first launch and allowed a user to toggle these changes, this wouldn't be an issue. But changing defaults silently and letting users find them and be pissed off is just poor software design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recall the preview in the former open dialogue. Ultimately, adobe blamed Microsoft, and yet left the preview in other applications. Now of course, they show a whole screen full of files in previously opened documents. Adobe his grown on the backs of its oil users, and simply doesn’t care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also cannot drag a guide from the ruler while in transform. It will confirm the transformation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/create-ruler-guides-while-transforming-a-laye... Add your +1/vote on that thread. The workaround is to hold down a modifier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1.     Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).

2. Type the text below in the text file:
TransformProportionalScale 0

3.     Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:

·         Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\

·         macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

This was posted by an MVP, but I can’t find the original post.

It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had a reason to complain about Photoshop but Im wishing I would have kept my 2018 version until  the bugs are worked out. The new command T transform options are not working as advertised, the image size options don't work half of the time, the save options don't work half of the time...as a matter of fact, almost every feature just is not working correctly. One feature or another is freezing up or not working in the middle of every project and is forcing me to restart the application.I honestly don't like the way the updated transform tool works and would like an option to return the tool to its previous form as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2019: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior...I'm glad to see that I am not the only person to think this is "stupid and ridiculous" Adobe, please give us the option to return to Legacy behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<<Im wishing I would have kept my 2018 version until  the bugs are worked out. >>

You don't have to stick with 2019 if you don't want to. If you uninistalled 2018, open the ACC app, click on the down pointing arrow beside Open, choose Manage, then choose to install 2018. You don't even have to uninstall 2019 to do that. You can have both installed, with 2019 waiting for updates that match your needs.

I always keep the last version installed until I'm satisfied I won't have to return to it to run extensions, plug-ins, workaround bugs, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Cristen...I normally keep old versions as well, but never had such trouble with an updated version of Photoshop. I wont make that mistake again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Free Transform in Photoshop is not working properly in Photoshop CC 20.0.0, which just updated in CC app this morning on my system. I have a large image, I have a smaller "new" image template in another Tab. I Copy the larger image and Paste Into the smaller image template, Select Free Transform, Shift and grab an edge, manipulate and voila, the image is resized into my smaller template and the aspect ratio is preserved. Easy, simple, been doing it for years. Now, all of sudden in Photoshop CC 20.0.0., the aspect radio is NOT preserved, and the image is squished... I just hope this a bug...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way to keep constrain ratio is to NOT hold shift. 

Here is how to revert back to old way of transforming objects:
  1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer the legacy function. It's more in line with how other apps behave.

Votes

Translate

Translate