• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a layer and dragging a corner handle with the shift (or alt-shift) key pressed, the resize proportion isn't constrained. This started with this most recent update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019
With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 778 Replies 778
778 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have time for new series, but thank you for recommendation. I see super heroes of the same universe can not any way beat Adobe - that is lately bad character as well - in their parrarel world 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm gald to see resonable people can't stand that too and criticise this poor CC 2019 behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is terrible, each day I'm visiting this theard I'm finding new bugs about this changed feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you were user for 48 years while Photoshop existed 24 that wouldn't be still enough 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it normal we have to vote not for new ideas but old ones they were previously realised?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this whole thing has infected the Crop Tool as well

I think I need to write down everything you users find that doesn't work because of this one change. I simply can't remember everything to list it at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the worst part about this issue for me, is that aside from it being extremely frustrating to adjust to the change, and aside from the fact that Adobe was too stupid to change how it works with other tools, The feature just plain does not work on my Imac at all. Even when I attempt to use the feature as intended, the preview jumps between constrained and unconstrained while flashing between different sizes all within a few seconds of trying to adjust the size, never showing me what the finished size will be. Whenever I click done, it  usually comes out unconstrained even though I was using the tool properly. To make matters worse, when I click outside of the box on the corner to rotate, more often than not it now turns off the transform box thinking I was finished. This "click anywhere to set transformation" stuff is an equal part if this fiasco for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that Adobe really screwed this up. There is a way to get the reference point back in your transform box however. Go to Preferences>Tools> and click Show reference point when using transform. (Thanks to Jesús Ramirez at the Photoshop Training Channel on Youtube for that one by the way)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's where I learnt it from too Lonny. Jesús Ramirez at the Photoshop Training Channel on Youtube has some amazing PS hints and tricks.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, he is one of my favorite people to follow for tutorials Rosa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the ONLY thing they got right is that now the upgrade install does not wipe your old versions by default, so unless you uninstalled it, the 2018 version should still be there. This is a huge deal. Can't tell you how many of my clients didn't realize they deleted not only their previous versions but also all of their third party plugins too. The second thing they got right - finally - is that all my previous settings, preferences, F-Key shortcuts - they all came over. This has never happened in the past. But back on 2018 until they get their act together. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the ACC app finally stopped deleting old versions by default. Notice they still didn't remove that "Advanced" section and expose the 2 choices you have under Advanced. Plenty of room to there to stop hiding them. The users who are least likely to be aware of what Advanced is for and think the "default" is as much as they need, are the very ones who need these options exposed the most. I don't know what they think hiding them under Advanced does for anyone.

But finally they learned how destructive it was for unwary users to uninstall by default.

But they hid access to previous versions under "Manage" because "older versions" or "previous versions" or something obvious like that was too confusing or something?  <sigh>

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In troubleshooting some buggy behavior in Photoshop CC 2018, inept Adobe customer support told me to install the new version of Photoshop.

This solved nothing, and made things even worse. Needless interface changes disrupt productivity, I can't tell what is a bug and what is a "revision" whose only purpose seems to be to throw stumbling blocks at users.

A recurring issue with Adobe is that they like to change interface and key commands and stuff with new versions, and another recurring issue is that the engineers and programmers are NOT users who rely on consistancy.

And yet another issue is this habit of releasing buggy, clunky betas as if they were ready-for-primetime.

I got as far as the Free Transform filter, only to discover that they reversed the controls. Selection is now constrained when you grab a side or corner, it won't transform freely. Unless you press the Shift key - which is what you used to do to constrain proportions. It;s like they switched the gas and brake pedals on a car!

TWF is wrong with these guys?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started a separate thread specifically for a better standard FTUE experience for when defaults are changed. If you think it's important that Adobe address future updates like this before release, go "Me Too" that idea.

"All changes to default behaviors in new releases need option toggles and FTUE blocker dialogs"
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/all-changes-to-default-behaviors-in-new-relea...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't stand the crop tool now. Never needed grid lines, never needed to dim the background. I use marquis and have a crop command now. By the way, SHIFT constrains the marquis. How about that? LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, I did not know that preference. I'm ok with that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing this Dennis. I have not done this yet,as cc2019 is so full of other bugs on my iMac that I had to return to using 2018...but I definitely will use this when Adobe gets some of the bugs worked out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though having a preference is usually a good thing, I still prefer having more exposed on the Options bar. I have a visual clue as to how I last "set" my preference, I can toggle it on and off, I am way less likely to think something is "broken" just because I've forgotten a preference.

So I wish Adobe would put more of those preferences on the Options bar. They gave us the narrow bar option, and that leaves plenty of room even with my laptop. If they'd do what others do and put all those align and distribute icons into a simple drop down with the icons, they'd even have a ton of room left over when the Move tool is active.

I want more prefs, not less, but having more of them in my workspace is better than having to hunt for them. I think the majority of users don't even look at their preferences, so it should be obvious by now that's a terrific backup, but more exposure for the ones we commonly need in a context-sensitive setting like the Options bar or even the Properties panel would be even better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS for reminding me of ANOTHER nuisance. 

I can't hide that stupid grid without hiding guides.

Best I can do is view the grid lines as dots to make them less distracting, but better if we can simply hide the damn grids by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay: 

ME TOO.

Hey, guys at Adobe: STOP F*CKING WITH THE DAMN INTERFACE!

Change for the sake of change is NOT a good thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tech support supervisor kept defending it by saying they included notes about these changes. Funny, I have yet to see these notes, and even if I had them available, I didn't have time to read them since the forced upgrade was Adobe's attempt to "fix" a corrupt preferences file (which, BTW, it didn't).

It's not clear he even understood that he was basically saying "well, we changed it to make it better and we posted some vague note somewhere about the changes, so that's your problem".

I had to explain that it was like switching the gas and brake pedals on the latest model Camry and mentioning it on a post-it note somewhere, and then acting surprised when they get a pile-up of new cars where they drive off the factory line.

A true "but ours goes to 11" moment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version of Text Edit I'm using in High Sierra, 1.13, will NOT save a simple .txt text file. You can easily do this in Word, set your margins to zero, save it and put in the appropriate folder. This not only fixed Free Transform but it also fixed the Crop Tool. How hard would it have been for Adobe to put a check box in the Option Bar which toggled this tiny text file on or off. Definitely pass this on to your friends and co-workers and pretty much anyone you care about

And as for Jeffrey deleting my earlier post due to language, all I can say is for his company to not so screw up the product that is so p&ss#s us off that that is the only way we can tell then how frustrated we are and how freaking lame they are. Do they even get it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that those engineers do not use Photoshop at all, simply realise great plan of those others that have some ideas what to change in Photoshop that was interesting to purchase / download it. Too bad Adobe visionaries don't use Photoshop as well 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for linking to your topic. These Photoshop section forum is so busy for past week that the latest topics I see on main page are just few hours long. So that is not possible to find enough time to browse all of them!

Votes

Translate

Translate