• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Undo / History is not functioning as it should (Photoshop v24.1)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command+Z is acting erratic and is not reverting to the prior state. I've experienced it undoing several recent changes but also jumping to random layers. Is there a bug? Can you please advise?

Running 24.1 on Mac (Ventura)

Thank you,

Jason

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

V24.1.1 released today shows a fix for the undo history issue

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Engineering is working on a fix. In the meantime, if you need to roll back to the prior version, here are instructions: If you need to rollback an update, here are instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Hi all, the team has a solution for this bug. Keep an eye out for this fix in an upcomming release.

Thank you all,

Cory

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 109 Replies 109
109 Comments
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same issue. Very frustrating as I'm having to redo lots of work and time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the club 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is happening to me as well, can't seem to find a solution and it is driving me insane. I think it started happening the last time I updated my App. Please let me know if you find a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the most recent version of Photoshop on a less than a year old laptop running Windows 10 ver. 21H2.

Expected result: I undo something, either by using ctrl+delete or manually selecting it in the dropdown, and it undoes my most recent action, every single time I use undo.

Actual result: It works as expected most of the time. The exception is the problem--I'll be drawing, I'll hit undo either once or multiple times and then, rather than walking back a single brush stroke or deselect, it will revert back to exactly what the image looked like when I booted up photoshop and opened the file for the first time that dayno matter how many times I have saved since opening it.

I understand that you can undo a revert, and under normal circumstances where I have intentionally reverted a file, I have undone it with the click of a button. But whenever this buggy, unwanted revert happens, undo will not have a record of me reverting, and will act as though the several hours I have just lost was exactly the point I was at, thinks that I have just opened the file right now, and there are no options to undo the revert or redo any of the things I have done after opening the file, because if you have just opened a document (which it thinks I have), then you haven't done anything yet that could be undone or redone.

Now, the workaround I have discovered for this is to just close the file, decline to save and when I look at the file in bridge and open it back up, it will still have all the changes I made up until my most recent save. The problem is that if this randomly happens 20 minutes after my previous save, that's 20 minutes of work that I cannot get back and will have to redo.

I've had mixed results with photoshop's backup and recovery settings in the past, and I have gone out of my way to make sure that photoshop is set to backup in 5 minute intervals, but when I go to C:/users/me/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/AdobePhotoshop2023/AutoRecover, the folder is empty. I've experimented with it after this started happening after the most recent photoshop update in December, and it seems to save backups, once, about 5 minutes after I open a file, but even if I make a change to that file and walk away, it will not update that file, and the time last modified for it will remain the instant it was created and never change. If I manually save the file I am working on, the backup file will self-delete, make a new one in 5 minutes and then never update it, and delete itself if I save again.

So before anyone suggests that making sure my auto-recovey is set up might solve this, I have, and it seems kind of useless compared to how it seemed to work in previous versions.

This has happened once or twice a day, every single day that I have used photoshop since the 2023 version came out. I thought it was a one off issue the one time I used it before Christmas, and now that I jave been  back to work after the holidays for a few days, I'm surprised when it doesn't happen more than once a day. I have no idea what is prompting this, I have searched for other people having this issue and have been unable to find anyone else talking about it, and I have looked for a true auto-save plugin, or action I can set up to make sure that this stops happening. I'm this close to making my own action and having an auto-clicker app run in the background that hits whatever shortcut I make for it every 5 to 10 minutes, but the fear there is that it saves immediately after this weird bug happens and undoes all of my work for the day.

I would love a solution, but right now even just confirmation that this is happening to people other than me and is being looked into would go a long way for my stress levels right about now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who isn't interested in messing around with past versions while we wait for a fix, the temporary solution I'm running is that I made an action that saves a copy of my current document, and renames the copy to include the date and the time it was made in the filename. I set it to Ctrl+F2 in my action shortcuts, and then downloaded a simple keyboard auto-presser that I open after I open up Photoshop. I hit start on that, and then every ten minutes, without me manually having to remember to save manually, it will automatically input Ctrl+F2 and save me a conveniently timestamped safety copy in my working folder. At the end of the day, I exit the keyboard presser, exit photoshop and then delete all but the new working copy.

If I do experience this again (reverting to when I opened it at least twice a day every day this week), I should never lose more then ten minutes of progress, and will probably lose less. This is what I wish Photoshop's actual backup and restoration functions did. The only downside is that I work with gigantic files, so I really need to keep an eye on how many backup copies I'm sitting on and remember to clean them up at closing time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's easy enough to revert back to the previous version of Photoshop. You only have to turn the Auto-Update function off in CC beforehand. Which can be found in the CC panel, under Updates, near the "Search Creative Cloud" search bar, labeled as "Manage Auto-Updats. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love a solution, but right now even just confirmation that this is happening to people other than me and is being looked into would go a long way for my stress levels right about now.

By @endcomic

Yes, others have reported this. Adobe is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. In the interim until the engineers can fix this, you can roll back to 24.0.1 20.0.1. Here's how:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Jane

EDIT: Typo corrected; thanks @Ged_Traynor !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e I assume you mean version 24.0.1 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 24.1.0

OS Monterey 12.5

Since last update, Photoshop undo command randomly takes multiple irreversible steps towards the history. When I hit cmd+Z, it randomly applies way too many steps back, putting my work back to its state of 2-3 hours before. This is irreversible, when I redo I can't go back. I have to start all over again. I constantly have to save a copy before I undo since this bug appears to be random. This bug adds several hours to my workflow, please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

App version: 24.1.0
Platform an OS version: Windows 10 22H2
Step 1: Upload bath images from Lightroom
Step 2: Use Auto-Align layers
Step 3: Use Auto-Blend Layers
Step 4: Working on project
Step 5: I press Ctrl+Z to undo the operation
Actual results: Photoshop move my steps far back (keys are working correctly). When I use redo command (Shift+Ctrl+Z), Photoshop allow me to move 2 or 3 step forward, and I have to that many steps doing again

In some random momments (but fairly often), when i try to step back with command CTRL+Z, program move my steps far back (for sure more like 10 steps or more), and when I try go forward with command Shift+Ctrl+Z - I`m stuck and I have to do steps once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experincing random past history states presenting themself as current in the history panel in Photoshop 2023, version 24.1

I've noticed this only happens after I use the Gradient Tool in my workflow... !?

When I save emediatly after using it. No "Save" appears in the history panel and any work there after stops updating in the history panel. If I continue to work then the whole document will revert to a random saved state with no option to get the current work back. !!!

Can anyone else confirm this, so to report it as a bug to Adobe.

Mac Pro - 2019,  macOS Monterey 12.6.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @© Si sorry to hear this.

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale settings somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually 

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@© Si 

This bug has been reported and Adobe is working on a fix. In the interim, you can revert to 24.0.1 for a temporary workaround.

See details on this primary thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-undo-history-is-not-functioning-as-it-shou...

EDIT: @© Si , staff has moved your post to the primary thread for the bug report. When it is resolved, it will be posted here.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been getting a repeated bug, using basic command+Z to undo a step or two, and it will revert my file either suddenly back by 10+ steps or completely all the way back to how the file was when I opened it, and this cannot be undone. Fortunately at times I can reload from last manual/auto save state - but it's still costing me a bunch of time on this, especially when dealing with very precise manual edits.

iMac 27, ios version and PS are all up to date.

it 10000% is not a Preferences issue. I haven't touched them since the last time I was told to reset them (and still didn't fix the issue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue that Adobe is working to fix for the next release:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-undo-history-is-not-functioning-as-it-shou...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same repro steps as many others (any ctrl + z more than once, the file is reverted to a previous save state or some decent chunk of time), over multiple documents (photo, drawings etc) at a wide range of document sizes. I've reverted to 24.0.1, but, as an undo abuser, working last night was very frustrating. Good luck to the engineers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@angelas57599994  said : "Good luck to the engineers"

Hi! That is very welcome and refreshing to hear. I understand that such issue can be very frustrating, but you understand that engineers do not plant such problems on purpose and hate to see their baby have issues. Thank you for the positive tone, I hope that the issue will be quickly resolved! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying to be in the thread for when a fix is found.

So frustrating 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing this undo bug, reverting back to a previous state when hitting undo more than once. I've been watching my history log and it indeed stops recording randomly. I'm on an iMac, Big Sur 11.7.1 still. I thought I was going crazy. I've lost countless editing and time, dealing with this. 

GET THIS FIXED PLEASE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing this undo bug, reverting back to a previous state when hitting undo more than once. I'm on an iMac M1, Ventura. I was going crazy and I've lost countless editing and time, this bug must be fixed ASAP! It's frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, the team has a solution for this bug. Keep an eye out for this fix in an upcomming release.

Thank you all,

Cory

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert wrote:

Thank you Cory and the Adobe Team!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Team Adobe! Looking forward tot he next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this issue in version 24.1.0 20221206.r.166 be4691b x64 -- its driving me crazy. When is the bug fix to be published?! I have lost hours of work to this careless oversight. I'd trade all the latest gizmos and functions to have the basics work again....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll revert to 24.0.1 in the meanwhile. I didn't realize I was on some open beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate