• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Undo / History is not functioning as it should (Photoshop v24.1)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command+Z is acting erratic and is not reverting to the prior state. I've experienced it undoing several recent changes but also jumping to random layers. Is there a bug? Can you please advise?

Running 24.1 on Mac (Ventura)

Thank you,

Jason

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

V24.1.1 released today shows a fix for the undo history issue

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Engineering is working on a fix. In the meantime, if you need to roll back to the prior version, here are instructions: If you need to rollback an update, here are instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Hi all, the team has a solution for this bug. Keep an eye out for this fix in an upcomming release.

Thank you all,

Cory

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 109 Replies 109
109 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences (the easiest way is in Preferences>General>Reset on Quit). Any better? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

That didn't work. With the latest update, Photoshop doesn't seem to be remembering a huge chunk of steps. (I paint and composite primarily.) When using command+Z, Photoshop jumps back to roughly "5-10 min ago". I rarely use "History" but maybe that's what's causing this to occur? Maybe it's jumping back to when it was last saved/autosaved?

I appreciate the help,

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need a more step-by-step or video of what you are doing. I opened a multi-layered document and inverted two layers (command I), applied a clone to one, then did multiple Undo's, and everything worked as it should. The last layer that had an edit remained the focus in the Layer Palette.

I'm on Ventura and the latest version of PS. I can't replicate it. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ARGH! This keeps happening to me!!! It is SO frustrating! Is there a way to find all of my history? I mean find the history that seemed to disappear.... ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered that if I "load selection", or select a layer's bounds, History will stop recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that history stops recording altogether. I'm unable to replicate it. Is there a preference or hotkey or something that may invoke this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J, you are not alone in this! I have been having this exact same issue ever since I updated to the latest Photoshop.

I'll be working along (la da da), I hit CMD Z maybe once or a couple times in a row and then BAM! My file jumps back to an earlier state maybe 30-60 minutes ago? And I lose everything I've just been doing. With absolutely no way to REDO or get back all that work. It totally feels like a glitch. An incredibly frustrating one. 

Would love some insight or help on this as well.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

App version: 24.1

Windows 11: up to date

Step 1: Use brush tool to create several brush strokes on a layer (maybe 5 or more)

Step 2: Hit CTRL + Z twice in a row

Expected outcome: Two brush strokes undone on the layer

Actual outcome: All or several brush strokes lost. If new layers were created during the working session, those were lost as well. Could not recover progress in history. Edit<Keyboard Shortcuts was checked to ensure keyboard functions were not altered. Toggle Last State was then disabled as a shortcut, however this did not change the outcome. CTRL + Z was carefully pressed each time, but this did not change results. A second computer was used, and the same outcome occured.

I switched to the previous 24.0.1 version of photoshop, and that is when the issue immediately resolved and I got the expected outcome. I am not an expert, so I apologize in advance if I missed something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not reproduce problem, everything works fine on Win 11 running Photoshop 24.1.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention just in case it makes a difference, the Legacy Undo Shortcuts checkbox under Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus was also not in use. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem occured on 24.1 and resolved when I used 24.0.1 [typo corrected by moderator] PEC

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I made a typo and meant to type it resolved when i used 24.0.1 in my last comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem, this is absolutely unacceptable and needs to be fixed. I had no clue what was triggering it, but it can't be reversed, you'll be painting and then you are on a version from 20 minutes ago on your work! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember of another user pointing out History issues. Will relay to the team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I select the layer bounds and then Hide the selection lines. Perhaps Command+H is implicated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this issue.

I will Undo some action using Cmd+Z and the history will be set back maybe 30-60 minutes in the past. All the recent actions that should be available in the History panel are then missing. 

The last time this happened, the history state was set back farther than where it was when I last saved the file. By selecting File > Revert I was able to at least recover some of the work that was lost. Everything that I had done to the file after the save was missing from the History panel. 

I tried opening the auto-recover file, but there weren't any files in the AutoRecover directory. 

It happens unexpectedly. Most of the time Undo will perform as expected. The randomness makes it difficult to reproduce, especially when it sets the history back about 30-60 minutes back. You'd have to rely on your memory to retrace all the actions leading up to it.

This is with the latest version of Photoshop on Mac OS. I've lost 3-4 hours of work over the past week. I've been trying to save my work obsessively to compensate, which has helped to a degree, but I have still been losing work. Now I recoginize that it happens after performing an Undo, it's either save my work before each Undo or rollback to  the previous version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 1: Use brush tool to create several brush strokes on a layer (maybe 5 or more)

Step 2: Hit CTRL + Z twice in a row

Expected outcome: Two brush strokes undone on the layer

Actual outcome: All or several brush strokes lost.

Again, all working on my Mac. Maybe a Windows bug/issue. 

Anyone on Mac see this, if so, what version of the OS etc?

There IS an obscure history bug where the Info Sampling moves from (as set) Lab values back to RGB with History. Adobe knows about this one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a Mac. Everything is the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog Andrew, Stefan Klein ran into the issue as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I'm saying is: I can't replicate with the steps provided. Those are the worst bugs to track down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Mac, latest PS (24.1) same issue.

What happens for me is: I work on an image, and if I use command+Z more than 1 step the program takes me back to a state where I more or less just opened the file and set up four layers and made a fill/gradient. Severly anoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I need to continue working today and tomorrow I'll take the hint and revert back to 24.0.1 right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using Photoshop 2023 version 24.1.0 ,  and ever since it updated from 2022 to 2023 it's been having this bug where when I use Ctrl+Z, it reversed way more than just once and I can't go forward to try and reverse it.
I tried restarting Photoshop and my computer a few times. I have also updated my Macbook Pro to Ventura 13.1 hoping this would help, but it didn't. 
The bug doesn't happen every time I press Ctrl+Z, but it does still happen quite a bit. Which sucks because I'm facing deadlines.

How can I solve this? There's no update available and I don't know how else to fix it.

I hope to hear from someone soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using Photoshop 2023 version 24.1.0 ,

By @Alyssa_E

This bug has been reported, and I will move your post to the primary bug report thread. Some have resolved it by reverting to 24.0.1 for a temporary fix.

Be sure to click the Upvote button at the top of the thread.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ao utilizar CTRL+Z, funciona três vezes e depois retorna ao estado inicial do documento. Já perdi muito tempo e trabalho por conta disto.

Photoshop 24.1.0

Votes

Translate

Translate