• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Undo / History is not functioning as it should (Photoshop v24.1)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command+Z is acting erratic and is not reverting to the prior state. I've experienced it undoing several recent changes but also jumping to random layers. Is there a bug? Can you please advise?

Running 24.1 on Mac (Ventura)

Thank you,

Jason

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

V24.1.1 released today shows a fix for the undo history issue

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Engineering is working on a fix. In the meantime, if you need to roll back to the prior version, here are instructions: If you need to rollback an update, here are instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Hi all, the team has a solution for this bug. Keep an eye out for this fix in an upcomming release.

Thank you all,

Cory

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 109 Replies 109
109 Comments
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using CTRL+Z, it works three times and then returns to the initial state of the document. I've wasted a lot of time and work on this.

Photoshop 24.1.0

By @defaultwvywm9gm1fyc

This bug has been reported, and I will move your post to the primary bug report thread. Some people have resolved it by reverting to 24.0.1 for a temporary fix.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the last few days, while working on Photoshop, I'll click Ctrl Z and for some reason instead of undoing the last change I made to the file, it will randomly remove the last 30+ minutes of work I completed. Once this happens there is no way to undo it because anything that was done before is no longer in the History of the file. However, it's not like it resets back to the last point in the saved file either - there are usually a handful of instances in the history still.

This has happened 6 times over the last few days. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on Mac OS X Monterey with Photoshop 24.1: after a Command Z, Photoshop sometimes and randomly reverts to a very old historical state (My history is set to 1000 steps). And you lose all your work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bajram.com wrote: 

Same problem on Mac OS X Monterey with Photoshop 24.1: after a Command Z, Photoshop sometimes and randomly reverts to a very old historical state
(My history is set to 1000 steps).

Bajram, some folks on this thread have reverted to 24.0.1 as a temporary fix until Adobe addresses the issue. Can you try that?

A side note: if setting your history to 1000 steps is slowing Photoshop down or if you run into scratch disk issues in the future, you might want to consider using a lower number. The default is 50. (Also, the last version of macOSX was Catalina  Monterey is macOS12.) See details here about setting the number for the history states:

https://jkost.com/blog/2021/02/working-with-undo-the-history-panel-history-and-art-history-brushes-i...

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jane-e, thank you for your reply.

I've been using Photoshop version 24.0.1 for two hours without any issues. So I reported the bug and the workaround to my community : https://www.bajram.com/2023/01/02/gros-bug-photoshop-2023/ (I'm a French comic book artist). I hope this will be fixed soon.

About the 1000 history steps, I'm using a big computer with multiple SSDs, so it doesn't slow down the machine at all. My only regret is not being able to keep all the steps during a working session. When drawing with Photoshop, each touch of the pen creates a history step, so 1000 steps really isn't enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bajram.com 

Thank you for explaining your 1000 history steps — it had raised a huge red flag for me! 🙂

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm meeting the same problem. (btw I'm on macOS Monterey)

I noticed that sometimes the history log would stop recording new steps. In this case I can still save the file(and the saving step won't be shown in history log too), then reopening the file might solve this problem(Doesn't work all the time)

I didn't change any of my settings after upgrading to v 24.1

1672682390106.jpg1672682427086.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya, that is basically what I've had to do, that and save more often. Its just annoying.

At first I thought I was accidentally hitting some unknown keystroke -  I even thought I was Toggling the Last State with Ctrl Alt Z, but I took that keystroke out after the first time. I now know that I wasn't missing type a keystroke and that I was only using Ctrl Z. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll click Ctrl Z and for some reason instead of undoing the last change I made to the file, it will randomly remove the last 30+ minutes of work I completed.

By @joshd47512495

@joshd47512495 and @RyanKeith ,

This is a known bug and Adobe is working on a fix. Some folks have reverted to 24.0.1 as a temporary fix until Adobe addresses the issue. Can you try that?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya, I'll do that. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @RyanKeith , I apologize for the inconvenience and I'd like to ask if you remember what tool or action where you performing when history stopped recording.

Thanks, Claudia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing. I'd like to request more information to troubleshoot the problem. Please if you can provide responses to the following bullets.

1. In the History panel, has it stopped recording entried? 
  2. What where the last few actions before using the Undo command, what tool was used, what action was done
  3. What is the number of History states set in Preferences > Performance > History & Cache?
  4. What are the History options checked in the History Panel? Window > History > Hamburger menu (top right) > History Options
  5. A recording that shows the problem. This would be very valuable for troubleshooting. Please email it to clrodrig@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ClaudiaR99 

Can you pin this post so it stays at the top?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1: What were the last few actions before using the Undo command, what tool was used, what action was done?
I was using the Brush tool in each case.

2: What is the number of History states set in Preferences > Performance > History & Cache?

I have it set to 100. 

If I can, I'll try and get a recording and send it to the email you shared. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please direct us to a download of the previous version? This issue is super frustrating to work around. The reason I ask is because Auto-Update is deleting my prior versions despite the preference being unselected.

Thanks!

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Last tools: brush, lasso and gradient

2. Number of History states: 100

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have the same exact issue also with PS 24.1. I'm on MAC osMontery 12.5.1
It happens randomly, so except saving my file every minute, I don't know what to do to prevent it.
But it's very annoying and stressfull to know that I can lose a big amount amount of work just after using a regular shortcut.
I'm gonna try to downgrade my PS version toto 24.0.1 in the meantime the bug is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need to rollback an update, here are instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Engineering is working on a fix. In the meantime, if you need to roll back to the prior version, here are instructions: If you need to rollback an update, here are instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @joshd47512495 did you also see that history events in the History panel stopped recording?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that wasn't something I noticed, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just writing in to say I've experienced this exact problem multiple times, sometimes multiple times a day. Its lost me a lot of work and I'm furious about it. I've just installed an earlier version of PS to hopefully avoid this wretched problem. Get your cuss together engineering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Claudia, 

I'm just experiencing now again the issue (with PS 24.1. I'm on MAC osMontery 12.5.1)
YES, the history events in the History panel stopped recording. That is why while I keep drawing, if I do a cmd+Z, I go back to the state it stopped recording, no matter how many actions I'm doing after. For now, the only way for me to get out of this bug is to close my file and reopen it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problemas com CTrl+Z :
Quando eu coloco o comando Ctrl+Z pela segunda vez volta mais que uma etapa, volta para o inicio do projeto. Até o histórico some.
Vem acontecendo isso com outras pessoas tambem, eu voltei para a versão 2022 para resolver esse problema provisoriamente. 
Espero que possam ajustar isso, obrigado!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or not. But History panel seems to stop recording more frequently with more Clipping Mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate