• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Undo / History is not functioning as it should (Photoshop v24.1)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command+Z is acting erratic and is not reverting to the prior state. I've experienced it undoing several recent changes but also jumping to random layers. Is there a bug? Can you please advise?

Running 24.1 on Mac (Ventura)

Thank you,

Jason

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

V24.1.1 released today shows a fix for the undo history issue

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Engineering is working on a fix. In the meantime, if you need to roll back to the prior version, here are instructions: If you need to rollback an update, here are instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Hi all, the team has a solution for this bug. Keep an eye out for this fix in an upcomming release.

Thank you all,

Cory

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 109 Replies 109
109 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more item: you might tell your chat support team to confess to known issues instead of wasting another two hours of a users time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this need to be fixed. Cant lose 20 minutes of work in a rush situation. Im on Latest Photoshop on latest version of OSX Ventura. When Im toggling UNDO stated it jumps back about 20 - 30 sttes and I cant move forward. Hopefully a fix soon... thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same thing, intermitendly.  It's happened at least 10 times recently.  I will lose about 15-20 history steps and can't get them back.  I think it happens when I command Z to undo a certain step but it jumps back a bunch of steps.  I also had a file where the history wasn't even logging steps.  When I would undo, it would go right back to the last step it had recorded.

Seems like a version glitch.  

It has been happening for about a month now and is really challenging.  Been using PS for decades and never experienced anything like this.   If anyone knows anyhting about this, please post...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mattmill You're commenting on a post from 2018.

This has already been reported here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-undo-history-is-not-functioning-as-it-shou...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use photoshop for art and use ctrl+z all the time to undo (artist, i draw a lot all the time, I never change anything). Lately when I draw and use the keyboard shortcut, it undoes EVERYTHING, instead of going back one step. I could be well into painting something and then all of a sudden it's all gone. I tried resetting preferences and that didn't seem to do anything because I'm still having the issue. The app is fully updated, I restart my mac often etc. When I select undo, to try and undo whatever happened from previously choosing ctrl_z, it doesn't revert to what I'm currently doing.

1. Adobe Photoshop 24.1.0

2. MacOS Version 12.5

3. Basic steps: (drawing for me means using the brush tool, erasing, selecting moving merging layers etc)>ctrl+z

4. Expected result: it undoes whatever I did last, whether that be selecting something, making a brush mark, etc. Actual result: It goes back multiple steps. If I had to guess, over 20.

The image I included is what remained, before whatever happened this image was very drastically changed in hue, had fliers and sticky notes added on top, multiple layers and groups were created and now that all appears to be gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It's a known issue with version 24.1, Adobe recommends reverting back to version 24.0.1 until a fix is issued

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-undo-history-is-not-functioning-as-it-shou...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happens here all the time. Very frustrating when Photoshop jumps like 20 steps back when i hit 2 times in a row CMD+Z (undo). Photoshop throws out new layers and several edits all at once. And no options to get these back! What is happening here? I used to 'undo' several times in Photoshop and it worked fine in the past ... 

Is there a solution already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While working in PS. usualy on a multi GB file, PS will randomly revert back about 30 states in my history with no recovery. So all work that was done is lost. Its happened multiple times on the past few builds & is so frustrating because of all the work/time lost.

Anyone else have this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Scrappy.xyz  There is already an open and acknowledged bug thread on this issue. I will merge your post with that thread.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to find this thread and realise I'm not going crazy! So you have a fix, when can we expect the update? I'm usung CC so will it automatically update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@realgarden 

Adobe don't give fix dates in advance.

Whether you will automatically update, or just receive a notification and then trigger the update manually, depends on your settings in the CC desktop application (under Preferences - Apps)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I keep seeing that and it's bloody painful. You can lose a heck of a lot of work from jumping back just 15-20 steps! And it's completely ireversible 😡  Glad to hear there's a fix on the way..... 🤞 For the meantime I am rolling back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry do you have a recommendation for which release to roll back to? Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you wish to roll back to an older version, use the Creative Cloud application, click on the three dots (...) and select “Other Versions”.

Probably go back a version or two and you should be back to where you were. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this problem with v24.1. Installed v24.0.1 and it stopped happening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V24.1.1 released today shows a fix for the undo history issue

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is documented. And its terrible. THere is another thread around
here somewhere in which Adobe promises that they have a fix and that they
will publish it... sometime...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@antonioi21376345 What is terrible? Adobe promised a fix and have issued the update with that fix.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm  Btw, Where did you download the 24.1.1 version?
I checked the fixed issue page, but the Windows 10 Adobe Creative Cloud says 24.1 is up to date even if you press "Check for updates" several times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appeared in the CC app. Roll out is being phased across the user community. If you don't see it in the next 24 hours try refreshing the CC app by restarting it and using - check for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David26208303ml0g What exact version are you using. Check in Photoshop's Help >System info

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David26208303ml0g sorry to hear this.

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not updated PhotoShop since 2017 so I was shocked to see the “command Z” undo has been changed to multiple undos going back 5, 10 or more steps. This seems to me as an unwanted change since the history palette already offers this service with text descriptions of exactly what is being undone.

I have always used command z as a before/after toggle to evaluate the edit I just made. I’ve tried for several months to adjust to the “command z” / “shift command z” functionality of the new version but it just far too awkward.

Is there any way I can restore the undo to a simple before after toggle?
Thank you,
--rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Edit > Keyboard shortcuts (might be in the Photoshop menu on a Mac), and check Use legacy undo shortcuts.

PS-legacy-und.png

Votes

Translate

Translate