• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add Layer Mask and Add Layer buttons not working

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to the latest Photoshop version. Now, I find that, after a few minutes, the Add Layer Mask button and Add Layer button at the bottom of the layers panel do not work. I use a lot of layers and masks and this is frustrating. I have to shut down Photoshop and then reopen to regain functionality. Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Hello, update to Ps 21.1.2, as it fixes this very issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with those buttons since the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also seeing this issue with the layer mask button and add layer buttons being "selected" or higlighted but they are not working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the preferences?

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, then I rolled back a version but that had other issues, so I reupdated back  to 21.1

I have found a sort of workaround that doesn't involve closing and restarting Photoshop.

Try dragging a layer onto the stuck button. It's reset it for me a few times now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Falterdan - dragging a layer onto the Layer Mask button "un-stuck" it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick....thanks a mil!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'm so glad I found this thread...the issue just occurred for me today but thanks to your workaround, I didn't spend hours trying to figure out what the heck was going on. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life saver! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Falterdan! It worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I deleted the current settings yes It was fine for a while like 5 mins. but then same error started again. Now add layer button and Group button.. Mask is fine ..  Restarting Photoshop solving the second error.. Lets see if is's gonna happen again..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please clarify your operating system. I just did the update and it's all working well on my MacOS (older version 10.13.6)

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it really matter what operating system we are workin. on? It is Mohave 10.14.4.. While Photoshop is updating to a new version do we have to go back in time to an older version?  No... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Those buttons are looks like pressed/selected or locked.. not working..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yikes! I've been tearing my hair out on this for the past two hours and I just found this thread. Having the same problem. Photoshop CC 21.1.0, Windows 10.

Add Layer Mask ProblemAdd Layer Mask Problem

...Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue. Have to close and restart. I was using 2017 CC for the longest time because of constant issues. Ever since Adobe moved to subscription based platform it has been horrible. I have a very fast computer and I have to use an older version of software to get it to work propertly.

Absolutley ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a problem with the open new layer button. My open layer mask button seems to be working.

Has this issue been resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My probem was "solved" by the recommendation from Falterdan above. I merely dragged a layer to into the stuck button and the button became unstuck. Seems to be working for the past few days now but I'm not confident the solution will be premanent.

...Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply.
I went to Adobe support and one of their techs accessed my computer,
changed a folder name: Photoshop CC 2020 Settings to: Photoshop CC 2020
Settings.old
It was in C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020
I noticed that I now have a new Photoshop CC 2020 folder in addition to the
.old one.
Thanks again for the reply.

--
Regards,

Greg Flynn
gregoryeflynn@gmail.com

"Chance favors the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This drag a layer to the stuck button works..  This bug needs to be fixed, deleting preferneces doesnt fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is also not working.  Has Adobe addressed this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines