• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't change the weight of variable fonts after update to 25.0

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to change the font weight, only a few letters have their weight replaced. First, this happened on Photoshop Beta version, but I updated both of the versions at the same time, and after trying it in the current Photoshop version (v25.0), the same problem happens.

signow88584364_0-1695040966655.png

Even the font preview shows it bugged. (Only the L in "Sample" changing weight)

signow88584364_1-1695041020585.png

The letters affected change when I try it on the canvas, but it's still the same problem. I didn't test a lot of fonts, but the fonts that have this problem are Raleway and Outfit, both from Google Fonts. From what I've seen from other people's posts, a lot of people using fonts from Google Fonts are having this problem. We really need a way to fix this.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem with some fonts in this Photoshop update, Google Fonts typography is buggy with the weight variation, especially in the bolder versions. Some letters are in bold/black while most remain in regular/light. I tried reinstalling the software and fonts, I tried variable and static ones, but nothing works. Now Photoshop only recognizes font italics. Some of the fonts I'm having trouble with are "Red Hat Display" and "Figtree".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Evandro Leite I can confirm the issue here as well with both the Red Hat Display and Figtree fonts

Edit: there's another thread here about it

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/font-not-displaying-correctly-in-photoshop/i...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, but with Golo's Text. I downloaded from Google Fonts too. THe solution was download the font from another site. It worked for now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have another thread here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/font-coming-with-different-weights/idc-p/140...

Can a moderator combine these into one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the Red Hat Display font consistently the last couple of days and now all of a sudden the font isn't working properly. The letters show up mismatched in different weights, as shown in the screenshot.  I have tried both Photoshop 24.7.1 and 25.0 and get the same results. If you look at the dropdown list, you'll notice that the different weights all look the same.

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 11.56.25 am.png

I have tested other fonts and haven't had any issues. Also tried the same font in Illustrator and it works fine. My operating system is macOS. I'm desperate for a solution as I am required to use this font, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, it seems like I found a solution to my problem. I deleted the font off my computer and reinstalled it which seemed to do the trick. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the variable font version of Red Hat Display has issue in working with recent Photoshop releases. Photoshop Dev will look into it. In the meantime, if the issue persists in the future, use static version of the font which can be downloaded from https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Red+Hat+Display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention Ktaki, I am saving that link in case I can't get it working again. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I noticed, this problem is only linked to fonts downloaded from Google Fonts. I have the same problem, but with Golos. I downloaded the font from another site and it is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting @Núcleo Digital - DR as I did get this font from Google Fonts, so thanks very much for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J E L combining now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to use a higher weight for this font, and it seems to not be applying that weight to some of the letters. Yes, I've made sure the font works by testing it in another app, and yes, I'm sure the letter has the right weight assigned. I'm using Red Hat Display which allows variable weights.

Latest version of photoshop (25.0)

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Norawee30273612zpl9, I tested it multiple ways and can confirm in Photoshop, that particular font adds weight to some letters, but not others, as shown in your capture. Black 900 displays correctly in InDesign. Even a type test on the Google font page shows it correctly. I really don't know why Photoshop is not rendering it properly. Very strange! (Windows 10; Photoshop 25.0.0 Release)

JEL_0-1694966133435.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested it in 24.7.1 and it seems to not work at all, having thinnest weight at values 300 and 900, and peaking at around 550. Seemingly 25.0 makes it work for some letters. I wonder what's up with the font that makes it render improperly in Photoshop. Maybe in a few versions we'll get enough letters working to complete a full sentence!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe in a few versions we'll get enough letters working to complete a full sentence! Ha, that made me laugh. I spun it through all the settings and options I could think of, but I sure can't figure out what is causing it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed a bug that displays the weight of a font incorrectly. Specifically, when using a bold weight of the League Spartan Google font family, all lower-case "e"s are displaying at a thinner weight. As a result, I am unable to type a bold lower-case "e". This was not an issue until the most recent update, and the issue was resolved by installing an earlier version of the software. I am sure this issue occurs with other font families. An example of the issue is attached. 

I am using Windows OS. Version 25 and 24.7.1 are bugged. Version 24.7 has no issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Red Hat Text font that I installed from Google Fonts is no longer properly working in Photoshop after updating to the latest version. I have had this font installed for well over a year with no issues. As seen in the photo below, the bold property does not apply to all letters anymore. I tried Adobe's troubleshooting steps with no success. I also used the FontTest.jsx script as suggested by Adobe and it showed that all fonts passed, including the Red Hat Text. Any other possible solutions?

font.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this problem is only linked to fonts downloaded from Google Fonts. I have the same problem, but with Golos. I downloaded the font from another site and it is working. Other people who are reporting the issue coincidentally also downloaded their fonts from Google Fonts. Try downloading this font from another website. Here was the only way that worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not just Google Fonts. This same type of situation is happening with Sequel 100 Wide - Variable Font. The higher weight "95" no longer appears at the weight it used to in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution I have found for this issue is to reinstall version 24.7 until the bug is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, guys! I was having this same issue with Red Hat Display and Photoshop.

But, as a read everything here, i could manage to work aroung the problem.
What i did was unnistall Red Hat and download it from another source (DaFont https://www.dafontfree.io/red-hat-font/) and install the OTF version.

I just tested with Photoshop 25 and it works! So, if you guys want to try it, check it out!
Thanks for the insights, everybody!

marcelocavalcanti_0-1695305231863.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Photoshop 24.7.1 is not displaying variable cloud font Adobe Sculpin Variable correctly.

This is a cloud font so can't reinstall. I tried turning it off and on and didn't help. This is the font used by my company's branding so kind of need it.... thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ktaki, I can confirm that the Adobe font Sculpin Variable in Bold and Black weights are throwing off the character error (Windows 10; Photoshop 25.0.0 Release). This means it's not only Google fonts that are affected. Can you confirm the bug and let us when we can expect a fix? Thanks! CC: @Rocketstro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines