• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Confusion on Gradient Tool Behavior

Participant ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the gradient tool, it affects the layer, and if I am unhappy with its results, I just UNDO and then try again. It is basically a "one shot deal" ... love it or hate it.

However, in this YouTube tutorial (5:25 to 6 min.), the gradient tool in the mask seems to be ADDITIVE, like he keeps adding to what is being masked.  https://youtu.be/oZr378NyOKM?list=PLHRSsMUaMQK3CeE_8Ayg36ix01Zgh9teI&t=325 

When I try this, after one gradient tool stroke, it completely annihilates any prior masking and creates something from scratch. And the same for each successive gradient tool stroke.  So how is he able to make it ADDITIVE? Please help!  Thank you!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

The problem as i see it is your settings.

First you need to select the Foreground to Transparent gradient and then you need to check Transparency in the Gradient tool options.

(you have your Edit>Preferences>Workspace set for Enable Narrow Options Bar, so you don't see

the word Transpaency in the Tool Options)

grad1.jpggrad2.jpg

After that you should get the same results as in the video in your intial post.

The Narrow Options Bar

grad3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this screen recording video, you'll be able to see me trying both Black to White and Black to Transparent for the Gradient tool (in the mask of the image).  You'll see that it's not additive, but rather each new stroke wipes out the prior one. (Prior to this, I did try resetting the tool as well.) 

(This forum says that I do not have permission to upload a video, so I am posting a download link from my google drive. Thanks)

gradient problem1.mp4 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the following: When you chose the Foreground to Transparent gradient, the result was a gradient from black to black. Was there a film cut? Then I noticed that you selected the Foreground to Transparent gradient in the Gradient Editor, but you closed the window without hitting the OK button. So you had the gradient from black to black again. In the end you used the wrong gradient again (black to white). I find that very confusing.
Try to reload the standard gradients in the gradient panel and select the gradient there. Otherwise you will have to completely reset Photoshop to solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. 

There was no film cut. I also thought it was odd that 'Black to Transparent' created an entirely blacked-out mask.  I only went into the Gradient Editor to demonstrate that I was indeed set to 'Black to Transparent.' I had already click the button for it, so there was no need to repeat this.

I just tried it again with Black to Transparent and had same results.

I have reset Photoshop, but this did not correct the issue.

I don't know how to "reload standard gradients," but I have reset the gradient tool, but with no success in remedying this issue. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called Adobe Tech Support and showed them the issue remotely. They said that they would have to advance the case, so I'll wait on that.

Side note, the workaround that I came up with for this---albeit extremely inefficient---is that you can repeatedly create grouped layers and then create a mask for each new group and then use the gradient tool independently on each one with no issue.  So, you end up with several "nested groups."  Not ideal but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Could you try putting the layer into a folder set, then adding a layer mask to that and testing it please?

You could also try the Legacy grads, open the Gradient panel from the View menu. Then click on the top right arrow, (as attached), make sure to restart your machine, not just Photoshop too.

I onow teh recent update has a few issues with ceration graphics cards so updated drivers are required, but I think you are ok on a mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Just tried the grouping of layers and testing if the problem persists on masks of groups---The answer is Yes, the problem is still happening.

I am using Win 10 via bootcamp (on a MBP). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Side note:

I just asked someone else to check on their gradient tool's behaviors, and they have the same exact problem as me. We never knew the gradient tool was supposed to behave the other way, as you all have known.  So, this problem must be rooted beyond just my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you can only add to the existing grad if one end of your grad is transparent. Make sure your blending modes are all set to normal, especially in the gradient tool settings. Click (or double click) on the layer mask and check your settings there, density etc. Hit D before using the grad tool so you know you have true black and white selected. Then make sure to double click on the black to transparent option for the gradient. 

let me know how it goes mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

So, yes, I have tried 'Black to Transparent,' with blending modes normal, but it just filled my entire mask with black. It's very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check the layer mask settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what is meant by 'layer mask settings.' I can go into 'Select & Mask' and adjust those settings, but I don't see 'density' in there. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello pal, See attached for what I mean. Thinking about it I don't think it it this doing it.

Your friend you asked, did you make sure they had transparency etc all set correctly? It might be to do with the windows drivers if this happened after a CC update is all. 

You could roll back to a previous version of PS and see if it works there is all. 

Cheers

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you see attached please and folow the instructions. Then post a screen grab?

Davescm's comment got me thinking! Thanks Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gradient editor screenshot1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try a preference reset - your options bar preview of the gradient does not match the gradient editor.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, see both attachments. Let me know

cheers

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opacity is 0%. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does the gradient work when you apply on the pixel data, not on the mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, unfortunately, it has the same problem on pixel data.

Adobe tech support is looking into it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All, 

Adobe Tech Support got back to me today.

They said the gradient tool would not work properly due to insufficient video RAM in my computer. Apparently, you need at least 2 GB of video RAM for Photoshop 2021, while mine was much lower. 

Very odd the items that still work and random items that don't work due to this.  Anyway, that's their official position, and I'd thought I'd pass it along. Thanks for all your input and help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is incorrect.

The gradient tool will work with the GPU disabled.

Try resetting the tool and if that does not change, reset preferences.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem as i see it is your settings.

First you need to select the Foreground to Transparent gradient and then you need to check Transparency in the Gradient tool options.

(you have your Edit>Preferences>Workspace set for Enable Narrow Options Bar, so you don't see

the word Transpaency in the Tool Options)

grad1.jpggrad2.jpg

After that you should get the same results as in the video in your intial post.

The Narrow Options Bar

grad3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well spotted Jeff 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VERY GOOD CATCH!

But it does not explain multiply not working on non-transparent gradients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That seemed to fix it by clicking the "Toggle Gradient Transparency" button.  

transpare1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines