• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ExtendScript Toolkit cannot open on macOS 10.15 Catalina due to dropped 32 bit app support

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While testing our CEP Extension (which uses JSX scripts) on the new macOS Catalina, I've discovered that the ExtendScript Toolkit application cannot open. Instead I see this alert.

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 3.18.01 pm.png

Running the app in the terminal shows the following error message:

zsh: bad CPU type in executable: /Applications/Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CC/ExtendScript Toolkit.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtendScript Toolkit

I understand that Apple is dropping 32 bit app support from macOS going forward (32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support​​ ). It looks like Catalina is the first OS to do so and therefore blocks ExtendScript Toolkit from running.

I also understand that Adobe is not actively developing ESTK. However, we need ESTK to compile our JSX scripts to the JSXBIN format from the command line.

For this reason, can we get a recent, 64bit build of ExtendScript Toolkit for macOS? Or is there another application we can use to compile our JSX scripts to JSXBIN?

- Nick

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Excuse me for being rather dense as i did not understand a word of what everybody wrote with regards to the update on the macbook to catalina, since updating today i cannot open lightroom at all it tells me 

an error occurred when attemoting to change modules

it doesnt say anything about the Extendscript that you gave as a link.

i am not sure how to try and update adobe to see if that does the trick but not sure what part of adobe i need to update, does anybody know where i go from here please, i am not a tech person, as you can probably tell, so really need help.

Thanks in advance 

Tracey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> since updating today i cannot open lightroom at all 

You may have posted in the wrong forum and in an unrelated discussion. You're using Lightroom but you've posted in the Photoshop forum.

Which version of Lightroom are you running? Help > About in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John 

Sorry for late reply but i havent been well.

The version of lightroom i have is lightroom 6 cc

Hope that helps, i see a gentleman also replied but i have no idea what he was on about with the extendscript tool kit so i would not be able to do what he has possibly tried to do to sort it all out.

I have contacted apple and they have told me to recover mac os which should help the situation but as i said i have no idea what i am doing so i would rather wait to see what you tell me as your the one that knows lightroom and not an apple engineer chap.

Many thanks

best regards

Tracey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me. This fixed the timeout issue from last year, but not the Catalina compatibility issue. Is there a solve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you need to give up on ESTK and use the ES Debugger extension for MS Visual Studio Code (not MS Visual Studio). See my previous comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the edits, but I still can't get Extendscript to work launch via Terminal. Is there a way to use the new debugger with Terminal? All I see available are Adobe apps.

Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CC/ExtendScript Toolkit.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtendScript Toolkit: Bad CPU type in executable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to use ExtendScript Toolkit (ESTK) with macOS 10.15+ (Catalina) or greater. ESTK is a 32-bit application and they are fundamentally incompatible with macOS as of 10.15. The last version of macOS that can run ESTK is 10.14.6.

Adobe has made a new debugger in the form of a plugin for Visual Studio Code. It's called the ExtendScript Debugger (ESD) and it supports some of the features of ESTK.

Please note that the ESD currently (v1.1.2) only fully supports debugging a single, synchronous script execution within a single host application from a single VSCode Workspace (window) at a time. It has partial support for debugging CEP and ScriptUI panels that feature code in callbacks/handlers (requires special configuration).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see an answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly it's in other thread that was linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
"I don't see an answer"

Which question exactly are you referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines