• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed: Pixels option is greyed out for Line tool Photoshop 22.0

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm liking most of today's update for PShop, thanks Adobe. 

But, I went to use the Line Tool (part of the Shape Tools) and the option to draw with pixels is grayed out. I can draw lines with paths and as a shape, but no longer with pixels. The pixels option is available for all the other shapes (square, ellipse, the new triangle, polygon, custom shapes, etc.), so I don't know why it wouldn't work for lines. 

Does anyone know what happened? 

{Moderator Note: PS-57177}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

In Photoshop 22.3.0 this issue appears to be rectified. (But the Pen Tool seems to be afflicted with other issues …) 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Hi All,

Good news, the Pixels mode is now back. For more details on adjusting line weight see Create lines and arrows using the Line tool

To update Photoshop to 22.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know your feedback!

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 325 Replies 325
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would Adobe again remove a feature?  I just got an e-mail today about my subscription about to be renewed.  I don't understand what their team is improving by removing features that are cemented into the workflow of millions of users.  Bring the line tool pixel function back Adobe.  This is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone recommend a way to contact Adobe directly?  I am putting a hold on my credit card from renewing my subscription until they bring this feature back.  As I see it, this constitutes breach of contract - as they are no longer providing the tools we've paid for.  I'm not paying for them to have to adjust my workflow by removing features that have become an intuitive part of my workflor.  I'm getting tired of Adobe doing whatever they want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please cancel your subscription and refuse to pay  the termination fee  and tell Adobe why you are.

If there is sufficient flack and loss of revenue Adobe may put back weight or also gray out the Shape option as well as the Pixel option for the line tool no longer pulls out 4 sided  closed line path from  from 1 to 100 pixel wide.   Shape layers are fill layer with close path vector layer mask.  The only closed path shape the new line tool pulls out are arrowhead shape paths Lane shape shape layers are not possible using the Line tool.  Line Shape layer are possible using the rectangle tool and you can stroke the rectangle line shape layer inside, on edge  or outside.   Horizontal or vertical  line shape can be rotated for the angle you need  using transform.  Arrowheads can be added with  the line tool by  merging  the arrowhead shape layers created with the line tool and line shape layers created with the rectangle tool.

LineToolSolution.jpg

Line tool can do this the following

10x8PrintSize.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesnt give a flying frak if you cancel your subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe start loosing corporation customers they may take notice. The hear squeaky wheels sometimes.  Like Transform. Commit with ESC. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well an artist is the very soul of adaptation so we can adapt to another program if its going to be that way. Honestly I don't really care if adobe cares about my subscription. Bet their non caring selfs put it back though..I know I removed the upgrade and who knows when I'll check the new one for fixes. Why would the other shapes be able to use pixels but not a line? Very interesting. Maybe it was just a mistake eh? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This change is going to greatly impact my workflow and I'm going to reconsider my subscription. As a 2D painter, I don't need stroke options and arrowheads; I need a very fast way to create straight lines directly onto a raster layer. The proposed workarounds won't solve the problem and I'll likely end up using competitors' software on my future commercial work. Extremely disappointed in this decision, as are all the other PS-using concept artists and painters I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This change is so bad for me, it more than doubles the amount of steps in my work flow. 

Please revert or add a pixel line tool 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried out Clip Studio paint and they have a really good rasterized stroke and curve tool. The work flow is quick and curve tool is far superior to photoshop. It also saves to PSD format. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sahil, that is really unhelpful to a lot of people who use the line tool in pixel mode, it's great to have extra options, but we need pixel mode back, it's integral to a lot of workflows that need fast raster lines. It's not going to be any work to bring it back, it's just greyed out! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a disaster for me!  it is making my workflow much slower. for now I will use a previos version, and reconsider my subscribtion to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Professional here who uses the Line Tool everyday in my work for Disney, Lucasfilm, Warner Bros, DC Comics, etc. The inability to use the line tool in PIXEL MODE is a dealbreaker. Adobe seems to be out of touch with how their customers actually use the software. I hope they re-institute the line-tool in Pixel mode soon. As for me, I am looking for alternatives to Photoshop starting today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great post - Looks like a LOT of us PS users are anxiously awaiting the
return of our simple go-to pixel line tool!

--

Visit my Website!

[website link removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when is this going to be fixed? This was really Stupid move

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a problem? Adobe had it right but made the change for some unpublished reason.  They removed line weight also. Use the rectangle shape tool to create line shape layer rotate then and use the Line shape tool to add Arrowheads then merge the shape layers into your pixel layer you can still add lines ins Photoshop. LineToolSolution.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I follow your solution? I illustrate isometric buildings, the way it was I could create 50 connecting lines at any angle, which equals 50 actions. How many action would be with your recommended process? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, JJmack. It is a problem, as I'm not using the line tool to create that sort of imagery. I'm sure the process you describe is fine for graphic designers and people who need precise vactor shapes. But I'm a digital painter and I need to be able to use the tool very rapidly on a raster layer. I do not want extra clicks or to have to merge or rasterise layers. A large number of professional 2D artists have already weighed in on this thread in dismay at the impact this will have on their working speed. Although it may not seem like the extra actions take a lot of time, in the context of fast-turnaround commercial art they represent a real burden. It's a bizarre decision from Adobe, given that the tool is perfectly functional in the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work when you want to draw directly on a mask. This solution of yours takes a huge amount of work to make a line. Sorry, but it is stupid to create a rectangle, add thickness, rotate and align when we can simply make A LINE by clicking from one point to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree IMO Adobe has messed up Photoshop again. Its their to mess with.  The Paint Brush  click and  shift shift click is quite rapid.

image.png 

Stroking a path is interesting as well and can be very precise for you can edit e path first

image.png

Lines can be made.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, we're already aware of click-shift-click. If you've tried the tool with a pressure-sensitive brush using a Wacom for input, you'll be aware that the lines produced are not what we're after. Of course, I could select a hard round brush with no pressure sensitivity, but is that faster than pressing U? As I pointed out previously, multiple 2D art professionals are in this thread explaining that this doesn't work for them. We've spent plenty of time optimising our workflows and are perfectly aware of the (slower) alternative methods. And sure, it's Adobe's product to mess with, but we are paying subscribers. I'm sure the developers would rather hear from the user community that there is a major problem than find themselves losing customers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, just no. This is not the "correct" answer, it's an over-complex work-around to get past a crashingly stupid development decision. How does removing a perfectly simple and convenient feature constitute progress? You've already messed up the Custom Shape and Gradient tools; do you plan on working through the entire toolbar to eliminate as many efficiencies as possible? Please Adobe, get a grip and listen to the people who pay your wages! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Professional cocnept artist here and this is a terrible mistake that I've updated Photoshop hoping for improved quality. Now I have to revert back. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if companies like infinite painter surpass you with their super awesome tools ( perspective tools, shape recognition) that speed up my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is intentionally degrading a tool and sabotaging the workflow of a significantly large number of your user base considered a feature and the correct answer? What was previously one step is now multiple steps. Adobe has reduce productivity by multiple factors now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wrong the line tool can not do something the pen tool can not do.  That is connect two closet path with a line path. It just look like it can. When you have the line tool have ad arrowed the line path coming out the arrowhead is actually not a line path its part of the closed path with 0 area it can be edited to have space.  a line path can not.  So Arrowhead  shape layer can be edited to have a line with weight between them or a Single arrowhead have a second point or the point edited to a line.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what all these arrowhead posts have to do with this thread, though? We're talking about the pixel mode in the linetool, not arrowheads or whether or not it is possible to draw lines. The whole point is that the pixel mode is gone, which makes it much more cumbersome to draw lines. It's still possible to get the same results, but in a pretty much useless way for most illustrators and concept artists as the current available tools completely disrupt workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines